Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And here is how he does defensively compared to the others:

Lucas (2018/19)
1.5 tackles per 90
1 interception per 90
1.1 fouls per 90

Son (2018/19)
1 tackles per 90
0.4 interceptions per 90
0.5 fouls per 90

Dele (2018/19)
1.6 tackles per 90
0.9 interceptions per 90
1.1 fouls per 90

Eriksen (2018/19)
1.3 tackles per 90
0.5 interceptions per 90
0.6 fouls per 90

Lamela (2018/19)
1.6 tackles per 90
0.6 interceptions per 90
2.1 fouls per 90

So whilst his attacking stats aren't the best with opposed to the others, he is more than capable defensively. The guys work rate cannot be questioned.
I'd love to see Lucas at RB bombing down the flanks.

Borodin55 Borodin55

He went the whole of last season without creating a single PL assist, which for a player who played over 2000 minutes, all in forward positions, is immensely unimpressive. In terms of key passes, it doesn't get much better, he was 11th best in our squad with an average of 0.8 a game, just over a a third of Eriksen's 2.1 (best) even less than KWP's 1.2. In terms of seeing the ball and passes made, again, not to good, he was 20th in our squad averaging 22.6 passes a game.

Even his goal scoring, 10 PL goals, took him more minutes than Son's 12, and 5 of them came in two games.

To be fair to him, I have no idea why Poch keeps using him as a CF, it really doesn't suit him or play to his strengths, at PSG he always played as either a wide right forward or wide left forward (or ALM/ARM) in their 433, where he could utilise his energy, speed and run at defenders from wide. But even then he was always a bit like PSG's "Lennon", a player with good energy, some ability, who playing for a boss team against much weaker opposition every week was a decent enough option, but was always short of "top levelness".

Poch seems to have turned him from a luxury Lennon to a not so much Luxury Defoe. Meh.
So any idea how we turn him in to something more useful than a “luxury Defoe” in your opinion?

I'd love to see Lucas at RB bombing down the flanks.

Based on the stats?

Then why not just be happy with KWP?

Not only did he get 3 more assists than Lucas in 2000+ less minutes. But he also:

Averaged more key passes per 90 minutes
KWP: 1.7 per 90
Lucas: 1.1 per 90

Completed more dribbles per 90 minutes
KWP: 2.2 per 90
Lucas: 1.9 per 90

Averaged more passes per 90 minutes
KWP: 45 per 90
Lucas: 33 per 90

Dispossessed less per 90 minutes
KWP: 0.7 per 90
Lucas: 1.4 per 90

Completed more tackles per 90 minutes
KWP: 1.7 per 90
Lucas: 1.5 per 90

Averaged the same amount of interceptions per 90 minutes
KWP: 1 per 90
Lucas: 1 per 90

Averaged less fouls per 90 minutes
KWP: 1 per 90
Lucas: 1.1 per 90

Lucas is probably better in the air though ;)

tenor.gif

The only place I'd ever really play Moura is as a wide forward in a 433. At a push maybe as a ARM/ALM in a 4231, but never as a CF on his own or as a 2CF in the diamond etc.

One thing I'll say about him, is he does work quite hard off the ball.
I agree but it’s obviously his lack of key passing ability that is stopping Poch from giving him a run in one of those positions.

Either that or Poch really does want to persist with the diamond at all costs. Surely we can coach him on his final ball?

Either way I’d really like to see son and Moura starting with Kane on Saturday, especially while dele is out

Fair question.

I think he just carries on in truth.

What we need is for our players to care less about who scores and care more about the collective effort.

But if you score a hat-trick in a semi-final and find yourself on the bench then there is nothing that should surprise.

Poch messed up by not starting Lucas in the final. I don’t understand how you bench a guy that got you to the final with a hat trick.

If I were Lucas, I would have been pissed.

I agree but it’s obviously his lack of key passing ability that is stopping Poch from giving him a run in one of those positions.

Either that or Poch really does want to persist with the diamond at all costs. Surely we can coach him on his final ball?

Either way I’d really like to see son and Moura starting with Kane on Saturday, especially while dele is out

I think it's kind of the other way round, I don't think he's ever going to become a creative genius, but I do think he would create more for others if he was played as a wide forward or ARM/ALM instead of playing him as an ant battering ram through the middle.

I think it's kind of the other way round, I don't think he's ever going to become a creative genius, but I do think he would create more for others if he was played as a wide forward or ARM/ALM instead of playing him as an ant battering ram through the middle.
I agree, he’s got to be up there with some of the best dribblers in the premier league I think. So if he can start from the wide attack the width of the penalty box, He would find himself in situations where cutbacks on for other players arriving.

Much more simple balls to play, rather than trying to link up with Kane and thread balls through which he obviously can’t do.

Just find it astonishing Poch doesn’t see it this way.

And here is how he does defensively compared to the others:

Lucas (2018/19)
1.5 tackles per 90
1 interception per 90
1.1 fouls per 90

Son (2018/19)
1 tackles per 90
0.4 interceptions per 90
0.5 fouls per 90

Dele (2018/19)
1.6 tackles per 90
0.9 interceptions per 90
1.1 fouls per 90

Eriksen (2018/19)
1.3 tackles per 90
0.5 interceptions per 90
0.6 fouls per 90

Lamela (2018/19)
1.6 tackles per 90
0.6 interceptions per 90
2.1 fouls per 90

So whilst his attacking stats aren't the best with opposed to the others, he is more than capable defensively. The guys work rate cannot be questioned.
This is where the "eye test" can sometimes fail you.
I was under the impression that he was a bit lazy and said so on here previously. Someone else disagreed with me so I watched him more closely in games and realised that he wasn't.

When he picks up the ball on halfway with a bit of space ahead of him is electrifying. If somebody could gif that dribble on Saturday where he rolled past a couple of players I'd be very appreciative. He's my favourite player now --- makes things happen.

Insane dribbling stats for the CL 3.8 dribbles per game :pochshock2:

That part confused me.

I have him down as 2.6 dribbles per game. (which is still impressive)

Which wasn't even the most from a current Spurs player in the Champions League last season ;)

Ndombele had a whopping 2.9 completed dribbles per game.

That part confused me.

Which wasn't even the most from a current Spurs player in the Champions League last season ;)

I Imagine Lo Celso will be up there eventually as well from what I've seen of him. :harryhmm:

Exciting times ahead if Poch can just get this balance right. He has some great tools at his disposal, including Lucas. Now it's time for Poch to prove he is as good as we all think he is by getting us over the line with winning something. (Although to be honest I would settle for us just rivalling the free flowing attacking football of 16/17).

Too many times recently we are left scratching our heads when it comes to team selections. I want to see a clear plan come Sunday, not a makeshift diamond again. We have amazing attacking players that should be complimenting each other.

I believe in us though. :tobyarm:

That part confused me.

Lucas has 3.85 dribbles per 90 minutes. Ndombele per 90 minutes is 3.25.

Per 'game' is silly.

I Imagine Lo Celso will be up there eventually as well from what I've seen of him. :harryhmm:

Exciting times ahead if Poch can just get this balance right. He has some great tools at his disposal, including Lucas. Now it's time for Poch to prove he is as good as we all think he is by getting us over the line with winning something. (Although to be honest I would settle for us just rivalling the free flowing attacking football of 16/17).

Too many times recently we are left scratching our heads when it comes to team selections. I want to see a clear plan come Sunday, not a makeshift diamond again. We have amazing attacking players that should be complimenting each other.

I believe in us though. :tobyarm:

Lo Celso had 2.6 successful dribbles per 90 in La Liga last season when starting centrally.

Only 2 players (who started 15+ games) completed more dribbles.

Can't wait to see him in action.

Based on last season, our best dribblers would be:

Lo Celso - 2.4 dribbles completed per 90 (overall)
KWP - 2.2 dribbles completed per 90
Ndombele - 2.1 dribbles completed per 90
Son - 2.1 dribbles completed per 90
Lucas - 1.9 dribbles completed per 90
Lamela - 1.8 dribbles completed per 90
Rose - 1.8 dribbles completed per 90
Kane - 1.5 dribbles completed per 90

Lucas, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Son all in the same line-up!

Champagne.

Neither of them are quite Dembele smashing out 3.4 dribbles per 90 during the 16/17 season though.

What's interesting is that we love wing backs who dribble and beat their man etc. yet Walker only managed 1.2 in 16/17 and 0.5 completed dribbles per game in 15/16.

I guess absence made the heart grow fonder.

Last edited:
Lo Celso had 2.6 successful dribbles per 90 in La Liga last season when starting centrally.

Only 2 players (who started 15+ games) completed more dribbles.

Can't wait to see him in action.

Based on last season, our best dribblers would be:

Lo Celso - 2.4 dribbles completed per 90 (overall)
KWP - 2.2 dribbles completed per 90
Ndombele - 2.1 dribbles completed per 90
Son - 2.1 dribbles completed per 90
Lucas - 1.9 dribbles completed per 90
Lamela - 1.8 dribbles completed per 90
Rose - 1.8 dribbles completed per 90
Kane - 1.5 dribbles completed per 90

Lucas, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Son all in the same line-up!

Champagne.
Those are all domestic league stats only right?

Either way that is exciting to have so many players able to dribble out of tight situations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom