Man City v Spurs - PL Sat 13th Feb 17:30 GMT - Live on Sky Sports

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When you say it was 'too easy', what is your point of reference, what are you comparing it to? As I keep saying, they have beaten a lot of teams this season, some by relatively fine margins, some by much wider margins. Don't get me wrong, of course I'd like us to try harder, press more intelligently, defend cohesively without making stupid fucking individual errors etc, but there is no great shame in losing 3-0 to this Man City side, and there is no sense in 'going for them' and then losing 7-0 instead. Yes, if you plan to defend then do it properly, I don't disagree with that at all, I never said otherwise. It's more the idea that we should have 'gone at them' etc in the 2nd half - that would have been nothing short of suicide. Against every other team in the league, yes, but against City, no, you'll just get battered! I repeat, how many times have City thrown away a 3-goal lead? Or even a 2-goal lead? And personally against this City side in the mood it's in right now, I'd rather lose 3-0 than 7-1.

Some Spurs fans have really gotten used to life under Jose. To see a 3-0 loss as some kind of positive. That's exactly José's attitude. Defend a loss. Absolute bollocks. We would not have lost anything in trying. Why would we lost 7-1. Have we ever done that?

This is not about today and 1 game against city. I get what you are saying but we play like this against fucking everyone. The Everton game was a one off in recent games, yes we lost but least it was worth watching and we took risks. Why just stand there and take a beating even a 3 nil one. West ham be absolutely loving the prospect of taking us apart next week. Somehow it feels more like our cup final then theirs now.

"The team look so bad right now we have a lot of work to do but i just don't think Jose is the one for us."

I don't necessarily disagree with that. I just don't think that Man City away is the game to judge us by. Personally I was far more disappointed with our games against (say) Brighton and Chelsea.

I'm not judging based on this but a gutless 'stand there and take a loss' type performance is what we saw against Brighton Chelsea Liverpool. A loss in Europe and against West ham. Levy has to act.

Last edited:
Rather sad how far we’ve fallen, when you see sentiment suggesting a 3-0 beating by City is par for the course. I’ll be shocked if Levy sanctions any significant spending and we have no choice but to see if Jose can turn things around enough to get us into any European competition next season.

I’d say it’s “Jesus, take the wheel” time, but then we fired him too :pochunimpressed:

GettyImages-891734136.jpg

Fair enough, who actually gives a toss though?
Point stands, Lloris let’s in a howler Kane misses a tap in, who gets blamed for the defeat?

Lloris does a world class save, Kane scores a tap in, who gets lauded for the win?

Last edited:
Point stands, Lloris let’s in a howler Kane misses a tap in, who gets blamed for the defeat?

Lloris does a world class save, Kane scores a tap in, who gets lauded for the win?
I was just being facetious anyway, it has no bearing on the point you were making, just that literally there is a Golden Gloves award.

Kept away from the forum since the final whistle and not read previous comments although I can guess. I had such low expectations that the score could have been worse. Tanganga was the only player positive. I felt MC did not beat us but we beat us by giving them all 3 goals. Holjberg gave away the penalty and did not track him for the 2nd. However he has had a good season and has been overplayed and needs a rest. I really do not know what Sanchez was trying to do to stop the 3rd. He really needs to go and Rodon must be given a chance. Lloris needs to strengthen his hands as too often he gets a hand to the ball and yet cannot stop it.
Overall feeling is at least it is over and hopefully we have reached the low point in the league with no further matches with 3 of the best teams, MC, Liverpool and Chelsea. I was pleased it was not just a park the bus exercise and would continue with Holjberg and Ndombele rather than Winks or Sissoko.

Sorry, don't talk like a parasitic worm who has crawled up Jose's arse and lives full time there.

Jose is an arsehole, a shit person and a worse manager
Shit managers don't win the amount of trophies he has do they.
I think the problem is with our squad that fails time after time
Shit players that now get paid wages that no other club will entertain Kane and Son are the only players that will go to a club that is a step up from Spurs.
They got Poch the sack and will do the same to any manager we employ open your fucking eyes the vast majority of our squad are not top 6 premier league players.

Erm, that's the point.

We never paid anyone top dollar but atleast we had CL to offer them.

If we haven't even got that, we may aswell not even show up with an offer.

Any team you show an example of when it comes to not having CL football but signing great players are teams who have ridiculous resources to do so. Man Utd mostly.
£40+ million for Sanchez and £60 million for Ndombele is top dollar.
Do you think we have had value for money on these two?
We have spent a lot of money under Poch just made the wrong signings.
Signing Sanchez when we had probably the best central defensive pair in the league at the time was criminal( very similar to signing Darren Bent when we had keane Berbatov and Defoe at the time)

Heres my take, started off well, didnt have great expectations because city are back to form ( league cup is going to be heartbreaking:( )

Yet another game tho with mistakes, the peno tho i still think was a foul for us! He trips us pierre im adamant of that! hey that ruined the game but i got to say at times i was in awe of the way city played, they were quality all around, i guess thats what billions of investment gives you!

How bad and how funny/magical was ederson kicking it route one and davison getting his career ended by a wonderful goal lol 😆 i had to applaud and laugh!

I guess positives were bale? If he would of scored that goal it would of been its bale back baby!! He looked like he wanted to prove his worth!

Dont remember seeing dele do anything 🙄

Apart from west ham spurs have a great run in to gain momentum and get results, with Liverpool self destruction i expect points to be picked up and results in the europa else then question marks should be made about Mourinho, hes trying to improve the attacking play but like usual the defence kills it

It’s always been this way though, a striker can miss 5 chances and score with his 6th and he has had a good game , a keeper can make 5 good saves and lose the game at the end with a poor mistake and be remembered for the mistake, it’s the way of the game and it always has been. However in the last 2 games Hugo has been poor and made back to back mistakes , the trouble is even with the mistakes I would rather Hugo than Joe Hart ! He shouldn’t be captain though , should have lost that the moment he got charged for Drink driving but that’s a different discussion.

On the goalkeeping issue....
And I know all the youngsters are going to roll their eyes......
People keep making comments about strong wrists and strong this that and the other about goalies arms and babble on about where they parry the ball they just blocked.

Take a look at you tube videos of Jennings, Banks, Stepney, Bonetti, Clemence, Shilton etc
They just used to catch the feckin' thing.
For shits and giggles Pat Jennings used to come out for crosses and catch the buggers with one hand.
Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to say they caught everything, a good percentage of shots are uncatchable, but modern keepers seem to be totally averse to the concept of actually catching anything.

Lloris seems to be on a bad streak of butterfingers at the moment.

On the goalkeeping issue....
And I know all the youngsters are going to roll their eyes......
People keep making comments about strong wrists and strong this that and the other about goalies arms and babble on about where they parry the ball they just blocked.

Take a look at you tube videos of Jennings, Banks, Stepney, Bonetti, Clemence, Shilton etc
They just used to catch the feckin' thing.
For shits and giggles Pat Jennings used to come out for crosses and catch the buggers with one hand.
Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to say they caught everything, a good percentage of shots are uncatchable, but modern keepers seem to be totally averse to the concept of actually catching anything.

Lloris seems to be on a bad streak of butterfingers at the moment.
I certainly agree that Lloris should catch more from set pieces. He is not big but is the only player in the box that can use his hands and yet seems stranded to the line leaving others to head clear.

I didn’t say go at them I just said if we play Lucas and lamela then I would expect them to running around and closing down. However in the first half they and the rest just stood off. City could find players in pockets of space in our half and turn and pick a pass. No effort made to close down. Bringing on sissoko made no difference to any of this as he never closes down and hides from the ball.
It seems the front 4 do a half hearted press. Theyre bipassed easily into midfield where PEH and tanguy are sitting deep in front of back 4 which are already deep. City players turn and have time to get passes away. Its neither a press or 10 men behind the ball.
Its shit and amateurish looking

It seems the front 4 do a half hearted press. Theyre bipassed easily into midfield where PEH and tanguy are sitting deep in front of back 4 which are already deep. City players turn and have time to get passes away. Its neither a press or 10 men behind the ball.
Its shit and amateurish looking
Spot on, the press comes from front to back when not in possession and if the front 4 players dont press fast enough the ball gets shifted behind them in a gap because PEH and Ndombele are sitting in front of the back 4 and the opponents have time and space to attack at pace.
Last nights game wasnt about how useless Sanchez, Dier or anyone else was, it was a team failure from golden boy Kane to lloris.

Coming off a poor FA cup loss and going against a side in their prime at the top of the table, I did not have high hopes. I am gutted about that penalty decision though. We could not afford to be chasing the game and we ended up having to do so and the fact that even after VAR it still stood was an injustice. It seemed like on the break we did not make good decisions. We kept trying to thread tricky passes unsuccessfully...

I am and have always been an optimistic supporter on here as those of you that have been around here can attest, but I am struggling since the Everton match to put on a good face. I hope Jose can get it turned around. I still have hopes for Europa. League cup....after yesterday I think that will be tougher than ever, though it’s still a few months off.

COYS

Back
Top Bottom