Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur, 17th April [0-1 AGG]

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was reminiscing earlier on (whilst watching a rerun again) and thinking about the poster on here who felt sympathy for Shitty. Anyone remember the utter agony when they came back from 3-0 down to beat us 4-3 in the cup? I was in a pub full of their lot and was loving it at half time.
I genuinely threw up at the end of the game & whilst I’d like to have blamed it on a shit pint of Joseph Holts I remain convinced it was sheer shock to the system.

Fuck city. They were gifted more money than anyone else could dream of by the royal family of a nation of human rights abusers.
They bottled it.
:dembelelol::dembelelol::dembelelol:

Did you not hear the assholes booing the entire game? ...Not an ounce of class shown before, during or since; players, manager and fans alike.

....You understand the ramifications of their financially doping?

...If you love this club or sport, your bleeding heart is thoroughly misplaced.
The booing was really poor, a complete lack of class like you say.

Its made me laugh so hard it’s business in the front and murder in the back.

Fuck em, they’ve bought enough trophies, that VAR result was a wonderful day for football.

I genuinely haven't laughed at anything football as much as that VAR Offside since Nayim lobbed Seaman.

It was just the culmination of a crazy game, I was already in a state of mental bewilderment, there was no making sense of anything in this game, it wasn't that I was distraught even when they scored it, I was half expecting it (and I don't hate City like some do either) but only football fans, who live those extreme moments of ecstatic elation and dejection/torment could be tickled by what happened; one second our misery is being danced on euphorically by delirious opposition fans and a manager careering dementedly up the touchline, then you get the creeping fear, melting into utter despair and our relief turning into utter joy.

My Mrs came in and found me in a weird state of giggly flux and couldn't understand (as she'd just heard me groan as they scored) I tried to explain to her why, I rewound it and played it for her - them going bonkers then gradually being crushed - and she (despite being a Spurs fan by osmosis) said she felt a bit sorry for them - and it just made me laugh even more. Not out of malice, just the sheer bonkersness of it, it was a pure football emotional speedball.

And other fans would have been and will be exactly the same when it happens to us.

Last edited:
Hairy’s Post Match Thoughts

1. Maybe the most exciting match I’ve ever seen. Even my wife was drawn in. Wow, just fucking wow.

2. Sissoko’s importance’s to the squad was clearly on display. We could barely get it out of our own side when he was out.

3. Not sure what Trippier’s deal is. Tends to suck inside leaving Sterling in huge space. Cost us two goals. Particularly the first one. Does he not see him streaking down the side all alone? Is that a predetermined strategy to tuck in with Toby? Is so it ain’t working . Rose did same on another conceded goal.

4. Hugo was all over the map. Great saves, some spills. Clearing it over the touch line is hard to watch.

5. Aguero....... missed PEN and offsides on GWG.
:dembelelol:

6. Our lack of depth was CLEARLY on display. Substitution pattern was mind boggling.

7. With Son out for the Ajax match, where are the goals coming from?

8. VAR will (has) change the football watching experience. I’m still against it.

9. Wow

10. COYS!

Hairy’s Post Match Thoughts
3. Not sure what Trippier’s deal is. Tends to suck inside leaving Sterling in huge space. Cost us two goals. Particularly the first one. Does he not see him streaking down the side all alone? Is that a predetermined strategy to tuck in with Toby? Is so it ain’t working . Rose did same on another conceded goal.

Well, it wasn’t Trippier’s fault. Man City was overloading the flank, with De Bruyne and Gundogan plugging into the half spaces between our CB and FB.

Both Trippier and Rose has to tuck in to limit them spaces. Questions has to be asked of our midfield:

1) why wasn’t there any track back to cover these spaces?
2) are we pressing too agressively that we kept getting caught out in defence where City managed to keep overload us time and time again?
3) or if we have to press aggressively as part of our strategy, are we doing it correctly?

I believe Pochettino’s plan is to go for the broke and hope to outscore City.

He could have opted to play safe by having 3 CB which will eliminate the “overloading” scenarios. However, as evidence from a lot of games City played against such “laid back” approach, they are always likely to score and it will be harder for us to come back to regain control of the game.

Hence, I believe Pochettino decided to gamble and hope that by pressing them aggressively, we have the chance to score an away goal. This is despite us giving chances for City to score. It prove to be a correct decision, the best approach we could have taken in our trying situation without our best players.

Man City played as well as they could pretty much and threw everything at us - and we still won.

The 1-0 at the lane was what made that game on Wednesday what it was. We had to go for broke after Sterling scored so early and they made the mistake of not taking their own foot off the pedal in order to stifle us later on in the game. They left gaps for us to exploit and we've got a few good players of our own...

We beat possibly the best team in Europe over 2 legs chaps, and it was glorious.

I believe Pochettino’s plan is to go for the broke and hope to outscore City.

He could have opted to play safe by having 3 CB which will eliminate the “overloading” scenarios. However, as evidence from a lot of games City played against such “laid back” approach, they are always likely to score and it will be harder for us to come back to regain control of the game.

Hence, I believe Pochettino decided to gamble and hope that by pressing them aggressively, we have the chance to score an away goal. This is despite us giving chances for City to score. It prove to be a correct decision, the best approach we could have taken in our trying situation without our best players.

We didn't press aggressively.

Man City played as well as they could pretty much and threw everything at us - and we still won.

The 1-0 at the lane was what made that game on Wednesday what it was. We had to go for broke after Sterling scored so early and they made the mistake of not taking their own foot off the pedal in order to stifle us later on in the game. They left gaps for us to exploit and we've got a few good players of our own...

We beat possibly the best team in Europe over 2 legs chaps, and it was glorious.

It was too early for them to take their foot off after the first goal. They had the momentum on their side with the first goal and the best decision then will be to keep having a goal at it.

At 4-2, Man City were still all over us. It is unlike Guardiola character to sit back and let us have a go at them when it is more likely that we will concede again. De Bruyne was the best player on the pitch and really, at that point in time, it would be a mistake to replace him with a more defensive player. This will certainly disrupt their flow and could potentially be a suicidal move, especially when there is still another 30min to play.

All in all, both managers played their cards correctly but as fate would have it, the game was already decidedly in the first leg where we won 1-0 and Guardiola making the mistake of playing too conservatively without De Bryune

Well, it wasn’t Trippier’s fault. Man City was overloading the flank, with De Bruyne and Gundogan plugging into the half spaces between our CB and FB.

Both Trippier and Rose has to tuck in to limit them spaces. Questions has to be asked of our midfield:

1) why wasn’t there any track back to cover these spaces?
2) are we pressing too agressively that we kept getting caught out in defence where City managed to keep overload us time and time again?
3) or if we have to press aggressively as part of our strategy, are we doing it correctly?

Well said.
Everyone blaming the FB's, but everyone knows how City play, overloading wide areas, getting in behind, and Poch just set us up almost as badly to deal with this as he possible could, in a narrow 4121 diamond with a highish line and not pressing cohesively (as per your point 3) .

And, as ever, the stuff about Sissoko ( Hairy Cane Hairy Cane )is bollocks too, he was doing less than Wanyama, offering no protection at all, not offering himself as an option when we had the ball and chasing his tail when we didn't. We conceded 3 goals in 20 minutes with Sissoko on that pitch, 1 in the remaining 55 after he'd gone, with Alli in his place.

It was a crazy, brilliant result, but tactically we were all over the place, and Guardiolas didn't exactly cover himself in tactical glory over the two legs either.

Back
Top Bottom