Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur, 17th April [0-1 AGG]

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We certainly did. Look at how to press the Laporte into making errors. We were pushing up high and pressing them

Sorry, didn't really explain myself, which I have in the post (reply to your other post). I think you made sone good points by the way.

What we had was some players, occasionally pressing aggressively, but not all, and certainly not a lot of the time. Pressing like this is no good unless it's coherent, if it's not it can be worse than not pressing at all.

Well said.
Everyone blaming the FB's, but everyone knows how City play, overloading wide areas, getting in behind, and Poch just set us up almost as badly to deal with this as he possible could, in a narrow 4121 diamond with a highish line and not pressing cohesively (as per your point 3) .

And, as ever, the stuff about Sissoko ( Hairy Cane Hairy Cane )is bollocks too, he was doing less than Wanyama, offering no protection at all, not offering himself as an option when we had the ball and chasing his tail when we didn't. We conceded 3 goals in 20 minutes with Sissoko on that pitch, 1 in the remaining 55 after he'd gone, with Alli in his place.

It was a crazy, brilliant result, but tactically we were all over the place, and Guardiolas didn't exactly cover himself in tactical glory over the two legs either.

Not really the fault of Sissoko.

We made a switch in formation to 4-4-1-1 after the injury to Sissoko. We have Son and Dele now to cover the flanks but the drawback is we now lack options in counter attacking.

That is the reason why we stop becoming threatening and the goals stop. Eventually, we still cannot stop City from scoring (2 goals) and we were lucky to have scored from a set piece.

Sissoko is still crucial for us. He is our only box-box player, without whom, our counter attacks lack pace and our midfield loses the physicality

We conceded 3 goals in 20 minutes with Sissoko on that pitch, 1 in the remaining 55 after he'd gone, with Alli in his place.

We scored two goals with Sissoko on the pitch though and one without him on the pitch.

You said he wasn’t a DM....you laughed at the idea. Why should he be preventing goals and covering the defence?

You said he played the same role as Eriksen.
We conceded 4 with Eriksen on the pitch, and a big toe away from conceding 5, and losing the game due to his silly back pass.

Yet......your silence is golden

Not really the fault of Sissoko.

We made a switch in formation to 4-4-1-1 after the injury to Sissoko. We have Son and Dele now to cover the flanks but the drawback is we now lack options in counter attacking.

That is the reason why we stop becoming threatening and the goals stop. Eventually, we still cannot stop City from scoring (2 goals) and we were lucky to have scored from a set piece.

Sissoko is still crucial for us. He is our only box-box player, without whom, our counter attacks lack pace and our midfield loses the physicality

No not the fault of Sissoko, but he’s definitely not the vital cog either. Just because we are short of options, doesn’t make Sissoko a good one, and he isn’t. He has poor technique, no vision, no 360 game brain, hampers our ability to play out and therefore, transition incisively (minus the one forward surge per game), and defensively he’s terrible. Big and strong, but again, doesn’t read danger or react particularly quickly or incisively.

He’s fundamentally an athlete doing a footballers job. And one of the reasons we have struggled for fluency and performances all season is a lack of intelligence and alacrity in our midfield

Last edited:
No not the fault of Sissoko, but he’s definitely not the vital cog either. Just because we are short of options, doesn’t make Sissoko a good one, and he isn’t. He has poor technique, no vision, no 360 game brain, hampers our ability to play out and therefore, transition incisively (minus the one forward surge per game), and defensively he’s terrible. Big and strong, but again, doesn’t read danger or react particularly quickly or incisively.

He’s fundamentally an athlete doing a footballers job. And one of the reasons we have struggled all season is a lack of intelligence and alacrity in our midfield

Do agree with u to a certain extent. He is a “poor man” version of Yahya Toure but he is the best we have got and his improvement has been immense. Who knows, maybe one day he can be our own version of that midfield lynchpin

He’s fundamentally an athlete doing a footballers job. And one of the reasons we have struggled all season is a lack of intelligence and alacrity in our midfield

You’re like the guy on tv shop trying to sell salt to a slug mate.

NOBODY BELIEVES YOU

You don’t even believe yourself anymore it’s so painfully obvious that this isnt even about Sissoko anymore, it’s about you.

You’re like the twat playing the trombone as the Titanic went down. No one cared......they were all just like “sweeeeet, there’s room in the life boat”

The majority of humans have a bald forehead unless they’ve been brought up by wolves. Here’s mine covered up with hair. Now let’s see your fizzog. I’m guessing like the jort picture we won’t see the upper half. Come on Arc. You’re always boasting about your physical prowess. Let’s see some evidence. Some chance lol. Now I’m away fishing in Welshpool. You’ll have to take your angst out on someone else this weekend.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHA

Deary me, Joe - not the wig photo again. RomanzoCriminale RomanzoCriminale

Big shout out to all the 'Spurs widows', Partners and Family members who had to put up with and try to fathom our relentless mad ramblings, pacing, swearing, despair and elation for the best part of 2 hours last night...
and NOT leave a note on the kitchen table this morning saying: "I'm staying with my Mother for a few weeks while I work out who or what I married!"

I dunno how they do it to be honest... I wouldn't put up with me if I were married to me!!!
:kanehand::llorishuh:
Haha I walked away from the television after that goal and went to sit outside with a cigarette (I quit smoking a while back), my wife just gave me a gentle pat on the back when I walked away.

She then came running downstairs screaming VAR VAR VAR and flew around my neck. She gets it, she really does.

So, reaching the semis meant another 12 million euros going into the club's coffers.
Every little helps.

That's just in prize money though. If you include the gate receipts and match day revenue plus the added sponsorship money it will be a lot more. Then there is also the potential of us securing a better stadium naming rights deal/future sponsorship etc.

If we had lost in the last minute like that I think it would have been a huge task for Poch to lift the squad and get top four. So hyperthetically that goal being disallowed could have made us 100m+!

You’re like the guy on tv shop trying to sell salt to a slug mate.

NOBODY BELIEVES YOU

You don’t even believe yourself anymore it’s so painfully obvious that this isnt even about Sissoko anymore, it’s about you.

You’re like the twat playing the trombone as the Titanic went down. No one cared......they were all just like “sweeeeet, there’s room in the life boat”

I know who you're talking to even though i've had them on ignore since i saw his first half-dozen posts here. My spidey-sense was tripped instantly.

Even though The Hood is by far the larger dick-head, i don't think i've ever read so many weird opinions by the same poster in my time online as from this guy. Its quite staggering.

Hairy’s Post Match Thoughts

1. Maybe the most exciting match I’ve ever seen. Even my wife was drawn in. Wow, just fucking wow.

2. Sissoko’s importance’s to the squad was clearly on display. We could barely get it out of our own side when he was out.

3. Not sure what Trippier’s deal is. Tends to suck inside leaving Sterling in huge space. Cost us two goals. Particularly the first one. Does he not see him streaking down the side all alone? Is that a predetermined strategy to tuck in with Toby? Is so it ain’t working . Rose did same on another conceded goal.

4. Hugo was all over the map. Great saves, some spills. Clearing it over the touch line is hard to watch.

5. Aguero....... missed PEN and offsides on GWG.
:dembelelol:

6. Our lack of depth was CLEARLY on display. Substitution pattern was mind boggling.

7. With Son out for the Ajax match, where are the goals coming from?

8. VAR will (has) change the football watching experience. I’m still against it.

9. Wow

10. COYS!

We won though so fuck it :dembelelol:

Well said.
Everyone blaming the FB's, but everyone knows how City play, overloading wide areas, getting in behind, and Poch just set us up almost as badly to deal with this as he possible could, in a narrow 4121 diamond with a highish line and not pressing cohesively (as per your point 3) .

And, as ever, the stuff about Sissoko ( Hairy Cane Hairy Cane )is bollocks too, he was doing less than Wanyama, offering no protection at all, not offering himself as an option when we had the ball and chasing his tail when we didn't. We conceded 3 goals in 20 minutes with Sissoko on that pitch, 1 in the remaining 55 after he'd gone, with Alli in his place.

It was a crazy, brilliant result, but tactically we were all over the place, and Guardiolas didn't exactly cover himself in tactical glory over the two legs either.

You haven't a clue you boring twat.

Look what our own players think about Sissoko.

E no that's not what I said. I meant should we have lost I would've been disappointed of course but I would've been proud of the team and taken some solace from our being part of such a classic.

I went nuts when Sonny scored his second and when the Sterling strike was disallowed.
TFFT!
:):):)

Back
Top Bottom