Manchester United @ Old Trafford (Mon 27 Aug)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fat Sam is a cunt and also one of Fergie's cronies. He's just supporting his mate's old side.

He's wrong as well, the best chance United had all game only came about because of a Rose mistake. They had lots of shots but from outside the box by shite players. Of course they weren't going to score!

Also, we should have had a pen in the 1st half plus we had a couple of other opportunities. In the the 2nd half we created more actual moments than United and thoroughly deserved our win.

He's just a bitter cunt.
He's just jealous, because he is someone we would never contemplate in appointing! It's only teams that are flirting with relegation that would be interested.

Why would they talk about other teams around us before the Spurs - ManU game?

For the same reason they did in the tweet that I posted that you've replied to.

A more well rounded journalist would have those kind of stats and go with the obvious &a true narrative that it has been a hard place for any of the teams in & around that top four like the Premier Leagues tweet captured, instead they make it out like it's a diabolical thing or some kind of hoodoo. Not cool when someone does their job half hearted which a lot of the media seem to do

Last edited:
This is why poch is the most important man at the club. Obviously never saw us in the 60’s or 80’s but since the 90’s by a mile the most impressive thing that’s happened to us.

To think he built and ran this squad on comparatively a pittance is mind blowing.

I watched a few games (live) in the sixties, and almost everyone in the eighties, and from the new millennium onward.

What i can just remember from the sixties, and certainly later under Burkinshaw (and to be fair Redknapp) was team spirit, and a collective responsibility. This was encapsulated by those Managers that were driven by a desire to succeed, both tactically and by building around youth.

Whether Poch wins a Trophy for us is yet to be proven, but even if we don't, the quality of football on show is as good as iv'e seen as a Spurs supporter in almost half a century.

I am very content with that.

I watched a few games (live) in the sixties, and almost everyone in the eighties, and from the new millennium onward.

What i can just remember from the sixties, and certainly later under Burkinshaw (and to be fair Redknapp) was team spirit, and a collective responsibility. This was encapsulated by those Managers that were driven by a desire to succeed, both tactically and by building around youth.

Whether Poch wins a Trophy for us is yet to be proven, but even if we don't, the quality of football on show is as good as iv'e seen as a Spurs supporter in almost half a century.

I am very content with that.
For people of our generation, having had to plough through season after season of mediocrity, the whining attitude of "I want more" from modern generation fans - weaned on a diet of analysis paralysis punditry, is hard to bear. Particularly when some of the spoiled brats come across with the line "that might be good enough for you"- as if we didn't want the silverware success.
I feel like a prisoner who has been used to dining on crumbs and gruel with a view of the sky through a tiny window, to suddenly dining on all you can eat banquets on an Hawaiian beach setting.

Build the solid foundations and then put the fortress on top.

And it wasn’t just the penalty

Every 50/50 decision went red

Absolute credit to Dele for not going down for a pen when de Gea tried to foul him

Even Powson would have had to give that and send de Gea off and we could have seriously improved our goal difference

Powson now should be demoted to the championship for ten games

Worse than Anthony Taylor and I never thought I’d ever say that
The Ref seemed to be turning around even before Moura went down and was never going to give that penalty. However little has been said about Moura's high boot and thankfully the Ref did not give a Red. Whilst i have not seen anyone saying it should have been a red with our luck at OT it could have been and that would have been match over and another year we complained about poor Refereeing decisions.

The Ref seemed to be turning around even before Moura went down and was never going to give that penalty. However little has been said about Moura's high boot and thankfully the Ref did not give a Red. Whilst i have not seen anyone saying it should have been a red with our luck at OT it could have been and that would have been match over and another year we complained about poor Refereeing decisions.

Hmm, he had his eyes completely on the ball and Jones dipped his head anyway. If he'd been sent off for that it would've been a total travesty and an obvious sign if referee bias.

Also, the theory out there is that Man United played really well in the first half. Maybe they did BUT they didn't score and when we stepped it up in the 2nd half we scored three and could've had more. This should only worry United fans and encourage us.

Hmm, he had his eyes completely on the ball and Jones dipped his head anyway. If he'd been sent off for that it would've been a total travesty and an obvious sign if referee bias.

Also, the theory out there is that Man United played really well in the first half. Maybe they did BUT they didn't score and when we stepped it up in the 2nd half we scored three and could've had more. This should only worry United fans and encourage us.

First 30 minutes we couldn’t settle or cope. Lukaku could easily have scored two goals. After that we calmed down and arguably finished the half stronger.

Second half, especially after our goal we just kept countering them and as you said it could easily have been more. We were happy to let them come at us and take shots from distance.

I agree never a red but I have seen those decisions given and it usually is away at grounds like OT.

Which only reinforces the view that Powson was an incompetent cunt

Giving Moura a yellow was one of the few decisions he got right

As for the clear Moura penalty even a thick cart horse like Jones knew it was a penalty immediately glancing guiltily at the ref before he got up

Which only reinforces the view that Powson was an incompetent cunt

Giving Moura a yellow was one of the few decisions he got right

As for the clear Moura penalty even a thick cart horse like Jones knew it was a penalty immediately glancing guiltily at the ref before he got up

More than anything, Jones’ reaction tells you it was a penalty. Innocent players that haven’t fouled a player in the box don’t do that.

More than anything, Jones’ reaction tells you it was a penalty. Innocent players that haven’t fouled a player in the box don’t do that.

It was an “oh fuck” look and he couldn’t believe his luck

As Moura drove towards the box you just knew that he was going to be brought down and I was amazed it didn’t happen outside it which says a lot about Jones!

Whilst we are talking penalties, I'm yet to hear anyone in the media commend Dele for staying on his feet when one on one vs De Gea. I was watching it with an Woolwich fan who was quick to have a pop that he didn't score but was a little stumped when I raised the fact he stayed on his feet even after he stumbled after De Gea's interception. I wonder when the last time Dele dived was. Can't remember one for a while now

Love a match day thread. Glad to see the usual suspects on here had their game faces on.

Obv Moura superb. But also Dele, Lloris, Dembele (grew in to it), Kane, Jan, Toby were all excellent. Most of all, loving the togetherness. That shit can't be bought.

Nice to get an early season win against a rival. Great start to kick on from.

Which one of you guys was it who said that Lucas might play up front? Well done for predicting that
I did the old trick of pulling every conceivable lineup/formation out of my arse, without overly committing to anything, to stumble somewhere near the right one.

Could Rose come back in? I'm liking 3 at the back, but Davies has been a disappointment for me (a bit in pre-season too).

Can see Moura getting dropped, which I think would be harsh. I hope he keeps his place even if he drops to the wing - he seemed to be playing alongside Kane on Saturday.

I agree never a red but I have seen those decisions given and it usually is away at grounds like OT.
And when Moura was accelerating away from Jones with only the keeper to beat.........

Not only was it not given as a pen, but Jones got away with not getting a red for preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity.

and if you need proof of that, look at the way Lucas buried the third

My point is not that it was not a Pen which it was or that Moura's high boot was lucky to be only a yellow but that it could have been worse as many teams including us get bad decisions at OT including the over the goal line goal that was not given. It was one of those decisions that an over officious Ref would have given. It would have been wrong but we have had worse decisions go against us.

And when Moura was accelerating away from Jones with only the keeper to beat.........

Not only was it not given as a pen, but Jones got away with not getting a red for preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity.

and if you need proof of that, look at the way Lucas buried the third
Is this a joke? There were still 2 players between Moura and the goal. Wouldn't have even been a card.

Back
Top Bottom