Maradona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There was also the state of the pitches in those days too..........

article-2644118-0050F98700000258-745_634x423.jpg

That grass isn't far off from Hackney Marshes in the summer nowadays, for us having a kick about it's great compared to the boggy winter waterlogged ones (he would also have played on back then) but this was the best of the best they could be back then, the grass is long and the ground was hard as concrete. This wasn't an issue for Terry Butcher lumping it into row Z but for a baller, dribbling around an entire team to score, is the mark of a genius.

obituary-argentine-soccer-genius-maradona-saw-heaven-and-hell_large

Note Shilton's arm, half of it deep in two inches long grass???
Only me that thinks those pitches look great?

Having said that, I seem to remember that our groundsman regularly won awards for the pitch in the eighties/nineties didn't they ? Am I remembering that wrong?
That may be true, I can't recall. Maybe because our pitch was less muddy then the others.

But come this time of year there was never grass, it didn't reappear until the final weeks of the season (maybe we might have relaid an entire pitch, I know that when Everton was good in the 80's they would do this quite often in the winter accompanied by many newspaper headlines).

Maradona was a great player in an average side when Argentina won the WC
Pele was a great player in a great side in 1970
Big difference
Brazil probably would have won it anyway without Pele
No chance Argentina would have won it without Maradona as he carried the side in 1986

As good as Messi is for Barca he has never come close to doing that for his country
Would you say it would be like Wales winning the World Cup with Cardiff?

But that was part of the competition then, part of the challenge. I'm sure that if Maradona was playing in this era he would be going down following a tackle or even being touched in the box.

Whilst the quality of the game, ball at feet, is so, so much better today than it was back then, maybe as a result of getting rid of the leg breakers etc I do miss this element of the contest, both watching and playing.

No-one rolled around on the ground when fouled, it was all about not showing the pain, getting up quickly even though you were in absolute agony and barely able to walk for the next 5mins. Then patiently waiting for your moment to land your crunching tackle on a teammate or if you were lucky the same guy who inflicted your pain, for the perfect revenge.

Then there were playing against the "notorious", big strong dirty fuckers, who's reputation went before them, you knew what was coming, your challenge awaits. What is there to be scared of nowadays?

I miss it big time but do I want it back in the game? Nah.
Anyone got a link to โ€˜that โ€˜ tackle on Maradona by Goichechia (spelling) where he broke his ankle?
Shocker
Up their with Roy Keaneโ€™s on Haarland imv

On Messi, had he possessed Maradona's completeness Argentina would have at least 2 more World Cups to their name.

As good as Messi has been he is no Maradona.

No comparison in my mind.

Why he was never detected full of cocaine should be explained one day. The 86' World Cup should go to Germany. Everybody knew it, everybody covered it up. Armstrong should get his 7 tours back in justice then.

Lovely tribute pod from the guardian

Second Captains have done one, that's supposed to be great, I've got to wait when it comes out from behind their paywall, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom