Maradona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The All Blacks present Argentina with a special signed New Zealand jersey in honour of the football legend.

En5gsKUW4AEPmCL

AberdeenYid AberdeenYid , reason for the disagree?
Telling someone that their opinion of Messi being the best ever is “so wrong”, is well, so wrong. Statistically, he boots the arse of Maradona. Personally, I prefer Maradona as a player to,watch, but there’s no denyIng that Messi is the most productive of the two and if someone wants to use that to gauge who the best player is, that should be ok.

I think it’s a ridiculous debate anyway. Why does it matter who is the best ever? Let’s just enjoy each player for who they are and what they do.

Regarding Pele, I've said before that when you look at videos of him he looks like a modern day powerhouse of a striker playing with amateurs.

He was undoubtedly incredible. Imagination, grace, power, touch, the guy was absolutely a complete striker. If he was young and playing today I have no doubt he'd be a global star.

But as AberdeenYid AberdeenYid says, the 'best' is irrelevant. Maradona was something the world of football had never seen before, and I'll miss his nutty antics.

Name me an international side better than Bayern or Liverpool.

Better yet, we'd beat Belgium handily, the international #1.

They train together for 2 weeks up to maybe 6 times a year and generally have shit managers.

You are joking mate.

Belgium would beat both of those sides.

You forget quality and pride. There is nothing like winning for your country. It may not always come across but in a tournament like a World Cup and when you are playing for your family, the heritage and the Anthem, my Lord that carries some weight.

Watched the whole Argentina England game last night.

Maradona was different gravy. Touch, power, control, courage..and a bit of acting to boot.

An absolute giant despite his 5 foot 6 inches.

No one really came near him in the game, in thst whole World Cup and in the history of football, not many would rightly share a table with him.
No one came near him? He got the fucking shit kicked out of him. Elbowed in the face at least once.

For all the talk about his obvious cheating for the first goal, the fact that almost every time he got the ball, he was booted into the air and even clattered a few times when he didn’t have it, is never mentioned.

I was watching a programme on records that got to no. 2 in the charts, when Pat Sharpe played 'Live is Life' by Opus, and he mentioned that there was a film of Maradona warming up to that tune, and his exercises were in time to the music. I scoured YouTube, and lo and behold, there it was . Astonishing how much mastery he had over the ball - and his laces were undone!
This clip reminded me of getting in early at games in the 80s (primarily to get to the front of The Shelf, as I'm such a shorty), when watching Hod warm up was worth the entrance money alone.
This it Mrs P ?

Yes, yes, that's all very impressive.....but could he do it on a wet November night in Stoke ?

PICTURED
BUST-ED

Football fans are saying the same thing after statue unveiled in tribute to Argentina legend Diego Maradona

FOOTBALL fans are all saying the same thing after a new statue of Diego Maradona was unveiled in Spain.

The dodgy design was revealed ahead of the COTIF final in the Spanish town of L'Alcudia.

Football officials posed with an attempt at Diego Maradona's likeness's likeness
Football officials posed with an attempt at Diego Maradona's likeness
The artwork didn't quite match the real thing't quite match the real thing
The artwork didn't quite match the real thingCredit: AP
With Argentina's Under-20s in action, the country's FA president Claudio Tapia was in town to unveil the new Maradona tribute.

Tapia beamed as he posed for photos next to the work, designed by Spanish artist Rafa Ferri.

But fans have been quick to slate the artwork online, likening it from Sylvester Stallone to Bruce Lee.

One social media user wrote: "Have respect for Diego!"

While a second joked: "Oops Diego melted."

A third tweeted: "Hahahaha what is that."

And another questioned: "Nobody saw that lack of respect before presenting it?"

The statue drew comparisons with other botched works from down the years.

Madeira Airport infamously unveiled an awful statue of Cristiano Ronaldo back in 2017.

While a previous attempt at Maradona in Kolkata drew comparisons with Susan Boyle.

Manchester City erected a statue of Sergio Aguero outside Etihad Stadium at the end of the last season - only for Toni Kroos to mockingly point out that it looks more like him.
Good grief, that is awful.

I’ve never been much of a fan. I recall “Like a Prayer” being ok, and then the Sex Book stage was alright, but since then… Nothing. Don’t know what all the fuss is about 🤷🏻‍♂️
Lived down the road in Dulwich when she married Guy Ritchie.

Couldn't even get a game for Dulwich Hamlets...

Well overrated...

It's never mentioned how he dribbled through half the team before his 1st goal.

If they could have actually tackled him he would never have got to use the hand of god for that goal.
And no one ever looks to Shilton and says, You're a goalkeeper who stands at 6ft 1, who allowed yourself to be outjumped by a player who was 5ft 4!!!!!!!
_127070415_gettyimages-.jpg

One of the worst pieces of goalkeeping you will ever see.

I re-watched this game in its entirety a few months/1 year or so ago when it was screened on the tele. Oh my Gosh! We were utterly shit to a man, and genuinely looked and played like a pub team. I don't get the dialogue that surrounds it, we were thoroughly outplayed by a superior team. Hodge ahahahahaaha

Hands up those who thought the same thing they think when the Jimmy Greaves or Gazza threads get bumped?

Just a superb player. And a nutter. Looking forward to seeing this.

When you basically drag your country for a World Cup victory, you know you're good.

Not only that, but making a then unfashionable Napoli team Serie A champions is arguably just as impressive.
Napoli had never won anything before him. That was the perfect place for him in terms of culture, both in a good way and in a bad one.

Back
Top Bottom