Maradona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

EjLCSnDWAAIACUW

When you basically drag your country to a World Cup victory, you know you're good.

Not only that, but making a then unfashionable Napoli team Serie A champions is arguably just as impressive.

Last edited:
When you basically drag your country for a World Cup victory, you know you're good.

Not only that, but making a then unfashionable Napoli team Serie A champions is arguably just as impressive.
Napoli had never won anything before him. That was the perfect place for him in terms of culture, both in a good way and in a bad one.

Tough bastard too. Loved how he rode heavy challenges, tried to keep his balance and stay on his feet to affect the game. Puts players today to shame with their theatrics after every little touch

Last edited:
Toughed bastard too. Loved how he rode heavy challenges, tried to keep his balance and stay on his feet to affect the game. Puts players today to shame with their theatrics after every little touch
Those hard challenge looks more like sending off worthy foul, even if it's not landing in today rules. Even from highlight, Maradona received plenty of these challenges.

Messi dribbling is mostly about cutting ahead of his chasers preventing them to challenge him from behind. Tackling from behind nowadays is riskier for the tacklers since the rule today has changed to protect attacker more than before. Messi is not that fast when it comes to kick and run. When his team doesn't work as well to help brining the ball up the pitch, Messi tends to get caught in maze dribbling, as we can't burst through them leaving all behind. I don't see Messi doing as well as in Maradona era. Maradona has more steel in his game.

I remember the night when we played against them in 86 with the old hand of god. I was ten at the time in Mallorca with my family on holiday. He was that WC. A true superstar, so that partly excuses the fact that I, the little oik that was, was wearing a Maradona shirt that very night haha. Whoops!

When you basically drag your country to a World Cup victory, you know you're good.

My favourite player ever. Just amazing. When you watch the maradona movie you can't help but admire him. Went crazy towards the end of his career but prior to that he was an unbelievable professional. We let what he became cloud our memory of what he was. The fact he had Naples supporting Argentina instead of Italy says it all.
He knew he needed to leave Naples as he was hanging with the wrong people and he couldn't leave his house without being mobbed by fans but the chairman refused to let him leave. He lost his spirit after that.
I especially love the old black and white footage (it's not in the movie though) of him as a teenager and he says he has 2 dreams. One is to captain his country and the other is to win the world cup. He achieved both. Legend

Tough bastard too. Loved how he rode heavy challenges, tried to keep his balance and stay on his feet to affect the game. Puts players today to shame with their theatrics after every little touch

He would have been incredible in the modern game, you couldn't kick the shit out of him which is what teams did back then. Nowadays you can barely touch a player and it's a yellow. Half the challenges on him would be straight red cards in todays game.

I hope his hand gets eaten by an alligator when he’s playing golf one day. And he gets a hand of god shaped like a hook.

Apart from that he’s an absolute lunatic and probably great fun to spend a weekend with.

Unless you’re English then he will probably punch you in the face while coked off his nut.

Best footballer I’ve ever seen. Twat.

He would have been incredible in the modern game, you couldn't kick the shit out of him which is what teams did back then. Nowadays you can barely touch a player and it's a yellow. Half the challenges on him would be straight red cards in todays game.

You'd be silly to think if Maradona was in the game today, he wouldn't be diving all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom