Maradona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Messi is a million times better than Maradona, the statistics speak by themselves. There is no possible doubt. Many speak out of the heart. I have seen the career of both fully since Diego came to Barcelona, he was extraordinary but in terms of goals and assists, he is even under Cristiano, Gerd Müller, Ronaldo, Pelé or Di Stefano.

He was in the league of the extraordinary skilled players, not in the league of the most decisive ones. The league of Platini, Zidane, Baggio, Del Piero, Figo, Gazza, Zico, Rivelino, Garrincha, Laudrup, etc.

Messi is the best ever in both leagues, skilled, marvelous to see, and decisive, scoring 50 goals per season only in the Spanish league, plus many more in the Cup of Europe or the King's Cup, that is extra terrestrial figures. And I'm not exactl his fan, he has beaten us and humiliated us for 15 years.

Maradona fanatics are not realistic.

Last edited:
Messi is a million times better than Maradona, the statistics speak by themselves. There is no possible doubt. Many speak out of the heart. I have seen the career of both fully since Diego came to Barcelona, he was extraordinary but in terms of goals and assists, he is even under Cristiano, Gerd Müller, Ronaldo, Pelé or Di Stefano.

He was in the league of the extraordinary skilled players, not in the league of the most decisive ones. The league of Platini, Zidane, Baggio, Del Piero, Figo, Gazza, Zico, Rivelino, Garrincha, Laudrup, etc.

Messi is the best ever in both leagues, skilled, marvelous to see, and decisive, scoring 50 goals per season only in the Spanish league, plus many more in the Cup of Europe or the King's Cup, that is extra terrestrial figures. And I'm not exactl his fan, he has beaten us and humiliated us for 15 years.

Fuck off.

Messi is a magnificent player and I consider myself privileged to have seen him play in the flesh.(as I did with Maradona)
But football isn't just about stats. Despite what people may thing, its not just about xG and all that horseshit. Its about the passion it evokes.

Plus, Messi, Ronaldo and a few others have played in an era of balls that dip and swerve all over the place. Keepers that seem to have forgotten they are allowed to catch the ball. And where the balance of the game has swung massively in favour of forwards...and, btw, this wasn't a red card in Maradona's day....

Maradona has carried average teams to league titles and even World Cups. Messi has never had the same impact for Argentina and at club level he has usually played in dominant teams.

The internet is turning up some gems at the moment. What happened to bring about this photo?

640px-Los_miembros_de_Queen_junto_a_Diego_Maradona_en_Argentina%2C_1981_-_01.jpg

Maradona has carried average teams to league titles and even World Cups. Messi has never had the same impact for Argentina and at club level he has usually played in dominant teams.
My goodness how can you even compare Messi and Cristiano to anyone else after scoring 50 goals per season in the best league in the world. You talk about skills, this is a competition not a circus.

6 ballon d'Or he has and Cristiano 5. Those two are out of any league of the others. They're extraterrestrials.

I have never heard so much shit in my life , has messi led Argentina to a World Cup victory? Messi is only half as good as he is as he is protected by refs , he goes down at the slightest of Touches , Maradonna is playing football against defenders playing rugby, I suggest you go and educate yourself on what football was like in the 80s!

This isn't the place for that debate. It's not even a debate really. Messi is quite obviously better.

Even Diego himself said it.

Messi's achievements at international level are underrated.

He had Diego Maradona as his manager at a WC for god sake. As fun as it was seeing him belly dive in the pissing rain when they qualified. His tactics were quite mad.

I have never heard so much shit in my life , has messi led Argentina to a World Cup victory? Messi is only half as good as he is as he is protected by refs , he goes down at the slightest of Touches , Maradonna is playing football against defenders playing rugby, I suggest you go and educate yourself on what football was like in the 80s!
Fitness levels in the 80s would mean 90% of footballers then would barely make half time in this age.

My goodness how can you even compare Messi and Cristiano to anyone else after scoring 50 goals per season in the best league in the world. You talk about skills, this is a competition not a circus.

6 ballon d'Or he has and Cristiano 5. Those two are out of any league of the others. They're extraterrestrials.
Best league in the world? :baleshock:
do you even know why Maradona didn’t win it?

Pele and Diego Maradona – Never eligible to win the Ballon d’Or​

Dino Zoff & Pele

The Ballon d’Or was first handed out in 1956. At the time, the award was only given to the best European player. In 1995, it was changed to all nationalities, but the players had to be based at clubs in Europe. Due to the rules, Pele was never eligible for a Ballon d’Or trophy. However, even if he had been, journalists outside of South America may not have voted for him.

Diego Maradona also famously never won the award. Although he did play in Europe, he wasn’t plying his trade at a club on the continent in 1995. Maradona was a shell of his former self by then anyway. The Argentine would have won the award multiple times in the late 1980s had he been eligible as Napoli won two Serie Atitles and a UEFA Cup. He also won the 1986 World Cup with Argentina.

The modern Ballon d’Or didn’t come into existence until 2010. The award was combined with the FIFA Player of the Year allowing players from all nationalities playing in all corners of the globe to win the trophy. Of course, it is highly unlikely that anyone playing outside of Europe will win the trophy.

Back
Top Bottom