Maradona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sad day.

Cheated us, but let's be honest we'd have only choked in the semi...
You know who cheated us, the referee in CL final let’s not be precious Owen cheated the Argies when his legs decided to collapse I’ve never heard anyone in Argentina (where I spend a considerable amount of time) even mention that

I have never heard so much shit in my life , has messi led Argentina to a World Cup victory? Messi is only half as good as he is as he is protected by refs , he goes down at the slightest of Touches , Maradonna is playing football against defenders playing rugby, I suggest you go and educate yourself on what football was like in the 80s!
Exactly, I would love to have seen the likes of pele, best and maradona playing in the modern era.

All had the proverbial kicked out of them every time they played, unlike today's players who get a free kick if you touch their shirt.

Lionel Messi​

Many believe Messi has eclipsed his talent, but the Barcelona man often says his idol Maradona is the best player in history.

”Even if I played for a million years, I’d never come close to Maradona,” he said. “Not that I’d want to anyway. He’s the greatest there’s ever been.”

Exactly, I would love to have seen the likes of pele, best and maradona playing in the modern era.

All had the proverbial kicked out of them every time they played, unlike today's players who get a free kick if you touch their shirt.
Even Hoddle as well, i think some people forget or just don’t know how physical the game was back then , with the rules now I bet most games would finish 5 a side with the rest being sent off for dangerous tackles.

Andre the Extreme

LOL. As if there were no great 10s before.

If you're going to talk about the differences between the physical demands of the game you've got to go the other way too.

George Best or Diego Maradona would collapse at half time in a modern day Premier League game. Can't smoke, drink and toot to your hearts content and play 3 times a week like the current lot doing that.

Fitness levels in the 80s would mean 90% of footballers then would barely make half time in this age.
Very true. Hell, vialli chain smoked off the pitch.

But players from the 80s with modern diet, nutrition and training methods would. And they would then be playing in a game where defenders couldn't kick them 8 foot in the air just to let them know they're there.
Of course, that treatment made some of them the players they were, but I suspect the true greats of an era in the past would easily adapt to the modern game

The guy has barely been dead for 24 hours - not sure it's the time for comparisons of who's better and who's not better.

Maradona was the best of his generation.

Messi has never led his country to WC glory nor taken a team outside of the elite and made them Champions of their country. Twice.

In many ways his exploits for Napoli really show what a great player he was more so than '86.

Messi has been in his comfort zone at Barca all his career, surrounded by world class talents. Xavi AND Iniesta in the same team? No wonder Barca dominated as did Spain as well when those two were in their pomp.

Third CL title Messi won he had both Neymar and Suarez for company.

Messi is undoubtedly in the Top 5 players of all time but both Maradona and Pele are better.

The Messi fanboys should be gracious and accept this.

:pochsmirk:

Messi wins in the consistency department.

But Maradona trumps him in x factor and pure career heights. He carried his country to a world cup and elevated an at the time weak Napoli team into champions.

Messi has never led his country to WC glory nor taken a team outside of the elite and made them Champions of their country. Twice.

In many ways his exploits for Napoli really show what a great player he was more so than '86.

Messi has been in his comfort zone at Barca all his career, surrounded by world class talents. Xavi AND Iniesta in the same team? No wonder Barca dominated as did Spain as well when those two were in their pomp.

Third CL title Messi won he had both Neymar and Suarez for company.

Messi is undoubtedly in the Top 5 players of all time but both Maradona and Pele are better.

The Messi fanboys should be gracious and accept this.

:pochsmirk:
The idea the World Cup is the peak of modern football is the biggest fallacy in the game.

The Champions League is exponentially better.

P.s. Pele was dogshit in comparison.

Weren't Napoli doing a PSG in the 80s. Pretty sure someone debunked the myth that Napoli were a 'poor' team at the time they won the league.

It is still a great achievement regardless. It would have been like Newcastle being bought by those Saudis and become one of the riches clubs in the country and signing Messi.

World Cup exploits cannot be understated, of course. But Im not sure you can judge whether a player is better based on international tournaments. Fine margins. If Higuain and Palacio didn't miss for Argentina, they'd have won international honours. Whereas Maldini didn't even win an international trophy..

I just think when the question is ever asked of whos better. You'll get the two responses by people old enough to remember Maradona and let nostalgia cloud their judgement and remember his best performances. Or those who have never really seen Maradona and just basing opinions on what they've heard and seen through clips etc.

And the exact same thing will happen in 50 years time with Messi and whoever the best footballer in the world is at the time. Everyone who saw Messi will swear that the new guy on the clock can not compare. Nostalgia will play a part in us remembering him tearing apart the likes of Real Madrid etc. Whereas no one alive would have seen the likes of Maradona, Pele who move into the category of myths and legends that are only remembered by story.

Last edited:
Ah but Napoli were still up against giants like Milan and Juve so it's wasn't as if they had zero competition.

Oh and football fans remember who won CL finals but Sports fans remember World Cups.

The World Cup is still the pinnacle of the sport, please don't let Sky or BT tell you any different.

Win a CL and you're a great, win a WC though and your name passes into legend.

Weren't Napoli doing a PSG in the 80s. Pretty sure someone debunked the myth that Napoli were a 'poor' team at the time they won the league.

It is still a great achievement regardless. It would have been like Newcastle being bought by those Saudis and become one of the riches clubs in the country and signing Messi.
Absolutely.

Napoli had been purchasing good talent for a few years before Maradona.

Maradona was like their Aguero. Before that Napoli had been like City buying the likes of Elano and Robinho in comparison. Maradona marked when they started spending more wisely.

The idea Napoli were nowhere before him is a myth. It's like saying Liverpool were nowhere before VDV.

Back
Top Bottom