Maradona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just seen a message come through from a mate your side of the wall:

"no wonder you Scots cunts all loved Maradona. With his curly hair, obesity issue, lack of English language and coke problem, he reminds you of your mum".

Thought the Argentina team of 86 had some great players. Ruggeri and Brown were great players, strong as fuck.Batista wandered about the midfield, booting fuck out of anyone who came near Maradona. Burruchaga and Valdano were two of the best attacking players in the tournament.

Obviously Maradona coming up with 5 goals and 5 assists was amazing, but it was far from a one man team.
Same with Napoli.

Careca in particular was a fantastic player.

Messi is a million times better than Maradona, the statistics speak by themselves. There is no possible doubt. Many speak out of the heart. I have seen the career of both fully since Diego came to Barcelona, he was extraordinary but in terms of goals and assists, he is even under Cristiano, Gerd Müller, Ronaldo, Pelé or Di Stefano.

He was in the league of the extraordinary skilled players, not in the league of the most decisive ones. The league of Platini, Zidane, Baggio, Del Piero, Figo, Gazza, Zico, Rivelino, Garrincha, Laudrup, etc.

Messi is the best ever in both leagues, skilled, marvelous to see, and decisive, scoring 50 goals per season only in the Spanish league, plus many more in the Cup of Europe or the King's Cup, that is extra terrestrial figures. And I'm not exactl his fan, he has beaten us and humiliated us for 15 years.

Maradona fanatics are not realistic.
Messi is shit

I have never heard so much shit in my life , has messi led Argentina to a World Cup victory? Messi is only half as good as he is as he is protected by refs , he goes down at the slightest of Touches , Maradonna is playing football against defenders playing rugby, I suggest you go and educate yourself on what football was like in the 80s!
He’s clearly never heard of Charlie Adam and a rainy Wednesday night up in Stoke.
Messi would cry in his panties.

Charlie Adam would run the midget outta town

EnwoMwYXMAIy1uw

There's a little bit of revisionism about the Messi/Argentina 1986 World Cup win. It's not like he dragged a bunch of footballing novice total outsiders to a win, Argentina was a major footballing nation who'd won the WC 8 years prior. And he did a similar thing to Messi 2014 in helping get them to a final in 1990 and losing.

I'm not trying to denigrate his legend, he's was a phenomena who was often a game changer, but Messi came close to a similar achievement in 2014, a decent but not exceptional team bar Messi, but doesn't have a win on his CV just through a bit of bad luck and finishing by his team mates (Higuian missed a sitter at 0-0 from what I can remember)
But he did this in '86. This clip is JUST from that tournament only! I think that's incredible by comparison of what's followed. (Yes, there are always one or two standouts each tournament e.g Scilachi, Baggio, Platini, Cryuff, Zizou, Pele, Gazza even in 90 and wasn't Greaves supposed to great in '66 before being dropped for the final? But fuck, look at this!)

On Messi, had he possessed Maradona's completeness Argentina would have at least 2 more World Cups to their name.

As good as Messi has been he is no Maradona.

No comparison in my mind.

The following year against Bilbao he was fouled almost every time he touched the ball, it then descended into absolute carnage.

Absolutely brutal
I didn’t notice a red card for that first one!!

Second game they just took turns kicking him!!
Bit naughty at the end

Many thanks for that!

But he did this in '86. This clip is JUST from that tournament only! I think that's incredible by comparison of what's followed. (Yes, there are always one or two standouts each tournament e.g Scilachi, Baggio, Platini, Cryuff, Zizou, Pele, Gazza even in 90 and wasn't Greaves supposed to great in '66 before being dropped for the final? But fuck, look at this!)

The first 45 seconds is him putting chances on a plate for all these brilliant team mates we have been hearing about to miss. After that he says fuck it I'll do it myself.
Make no mistake, he won the World Cup largely on his own.

Why he was never detected full of cocaine should be explained one day. The 86' World Cup should go to Germany. Everybody knew it, everybody covered it up. Armstrong should get his 7 tours back in justice then.

Like you, I consider myself lucky enough to have seen both players, although obviously it was harder to watch Napoli in the mid eighties so didn't see anywhere near as much of Maradona's career as I have Messi's.

I think you have to balance out things like the pitches and the way a skilful player could be hacked about, with the sheer level of physical, tactical, mental superiority of modern football that Messi has had to play in, and lets not pretend Messi hasn't been subjected to a barrage of physical punishment too.

I'm not outraged that people would choose Maradona, I can understand why, it's hard to compare players from different eras, and these two are very comparable, and have very similar skill sets to compare, unlike the comparisons with people like Pele and Cruyff etc, who were totally different players.

And they both did it in what was the best/toughest league in Europe at their time (or at least for phases of their careers in Italy and Spain anyway). People will argue Messi got to play in a side with Iniesta, managed by Guardiola, but lets not ignore he continued to perform and produce amazing levels after both of those had gone.

Maybe one of the advantages Messi has given himself is that his private life has been stable and that has allowed a level of focused professionalism that enabled him to produce much more and much more consistently, I don't know, we'll never know the true impact of Maradona's private life had on his performances and output (although we've got a fair idea), but having seen both, and loved both, it's Messi for me, all day long.
Just think in a few years time you could be posting something like this about Sissoko!!

Nbc Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Back
Top Bottom