Maradona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well – that settles it then. Random fat bloke from Pinner says so – close the forum down, please
tenor.gif

Sorry, but you're so wrong. The only player, IMO, that is in Maradona's league is Pele. These two are in the stratosphere of footballers. They played in an era where footballs, tackles and pitches were heavy, and he made average teams world beaters.
Absolutely agree, Maradona was chopped brutally week in week out in a manner that modern footballers wouldn't even dream of. He would get hacked and if he was able, would not go down. The pitches at times were atrocious and not only prevented decent football but offered the opportunity of career ending injury. He was sublime and played for Napoli which were at the bottom of Serie A and he wasn't always surrounded by other stars.

I'm not Lineker's biggest fan but I doubt it was his intention to offend here, I think he's Tweeted it without realising how bad it sounds!

As for Diego RIP, greatest ever IMV. Can see arguments for Messi et al. but I reckon Maradona had the higher ceiling and would flourish in the modern game too. Why? Better protection, the balance tilted in favour of the forward, more fouls given, and the rubbish defending everywhere nowadays.
RomanzoCriminale RomanzoCriminale why the disagree? You think everyone's favourite jug-eared crisp hawker was offending on purpose?

I don't think he was offending, but i don't think he could help himself getting in that little dig.

Fair enough, he was there and played in that game. I just think there's a time and place for something like that.

This wasn't it.
Fair enough, I was just curious about the disagree on my post given TFC 'etiquette' seems to be to hand out disagrees for things you really can't stand or known WUMs.

FWIW I think he meant it as a tribute but it came over as a bit crass.

Really?

Pele won the World Cup aged 17 and was the best player in the World Cup twelve years later. That’s some record.
Never proved himself in a good league he was content to rack up goals in unofficial friendlies against pub sides in the 4th division of Brazil.

He was essentially carried by players such as Garrincha, Rivelinho and Jairzinho.

Absolute fraud of the highest order kept alive through documentaries which glide over his average world cup stats.

Ask any Brazilian who their best player was and not one will say Pele.

Never proved himself in a good league he was content to rack up goals in unofficial friendlies against pub sides in the 4th division of Brazil.

He was essentially carried by players such as Garrincha, Rivelinho and Jairzinho.

Absolute fraud of the highest order kept alive through documentaries which glide over his average world cup stats.

Ask any Brazilian who their best player was and not one will say Pele.

I think the thing with Pele also is there's only a few grainy videos on You tube, not counting the ones everyone has seen, including the 'miss' where he fools the keeper etc.

Its well documented that Fifa needed a hero to grow the national game and the world cup, especially outside of Europe and Pele was chosen more for political reasons.

Pele spent the majority of his career playing in Brazil. Brazilians don't call him their GOAT. In fact, they generally don't put him top 3.

So how he can be the GOAT, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom