Marcel Sabitzer

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We need a player or two. No question about that if the aim is to win the PL but it would also be good to see marked improvement in players as well.

So we sign thus bloke, which we won't anyway.

Is it all simply about signing players?

We could easily survive getting rid of Lamela, Sissoko, and Winks. I like Vinicius but I also think Bale and Son could play up top backing up Kane just fine- he could be gotten rid of too.

Better question is where we want our CM to end up? PEH needs a proper partner. Ndom is great as a CAM imo but us not the deep dembele replacement we were looking for.

Sissoko nor Winks are long term partners for PEH so they can be let go if needed. Selling sissoko is probably easiest in the summer, if Daniel has the balls to lose face and sell for a loss that is.

I'd like to think that we'd create a pivot rotation of PEH, Sabitzer, Skipp and someone else, though I fear that'd probably be Winks due to HG and club stuff.

Given how often HG limits have subtly screwed us, it's disappointing we haven't been able to get on the right side of those rules for one reason or another yet.
Posted in the Transfer thread. but answers your question on HG.

EL Squad :
Club Trained - 4
( Kane, Bale, Winks, Whiteman, )
Other Assoc Trained 3 (Hart, Dele, Clarke)
Overseas Trained 17 (Lloris, Aurier, Doherty, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Dier, Reguilon, Davies, Hojbjerg, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Lucas, Ndombele, Son, Bergwijn, Vinicius, Lamela)
Sub-Total 24 Players
List B (U 21's)
2 (Tanganga, Austin etc)

But Rodon not eligible for EL.

For PL (with different rules to categorise players) :
Other Association Trained

- 17 players above less Davies less Doherty plus Gazzaniga = 16
Home Grown
- As Club and Other Assn Trained - 7 above plus Davies, Rodon & Doherty less Clarke = 9
Sub - Total 25 Players
Under 21's

- As above plus Clarke

Wee we could buy an HG player for EL (but no room in PL squad)

If we buy an overseas trained player such as Sabitzer we need to sell or loan out an overseas trained player for the player to fit into both PL and EL. But we might just take a chance on buying him to play only in PL and sideline Gazzaniga ?

I am a bit torn about him.

There is no question that looking at his long passing ability and vision, he is totally different league from Winks and Sissoko! I like his directness and courage to try difficult passes, I think in that sense Mou would value him as well. He'd be good addition to the side using counter-attacks often.

At the same time I was thinking about midfielders shining in Bundesliga coming to EPL... and most have failed spectacularly. Even Bayern legend Bastian Schweinsteiger was just random squad player. Havertz ... well we'll see but start is quite "meeh". Even Holtby was quite good in BL. Then add on Kagawa and Mhkitaryan. Add here names like Xhaka. Keita has not really lived up to expectations same could be said about Pulisic. This trend seems alarming.

I might be forgetting some players, but it is honest question - could you guys point out midfielder that moved from Bundesliga to EPL and exceeded expectations/ was brilliant transfer?!? I would not include de Bruyne there, cause he already had previous EPL experience.. nor Thiago (though jury is still out there regarding him) as he also was proven in La Liga before moving to Bundesliga.

Of course if our coaching staff and scouts deem him worth the risk (and price would not be enormous), then by all means - go for it!
But I have some reservations.

There is no question that looking at his long passing ability and vision, he is totally different league from Winks and Sissoko! I like his directness and courage to try difficult passes, I think in that sense Mou would value him as well. He'd be good addition to the side using counter-attacks often.

At the same time I was thinking about midfielders shining in Bundesliga coming to EPL... and most have failed spectacularly. Even Bayern legend Bastian Schweinsteiger was just random squad player. Havertz ... well we'll see but start is quite "meeh". Even Holtby was quite good in BL. Then add on Kagawa and Mhkitaryan. Add here names like Xhaka. Keita has not really lived up to expectations same could be said about Pulisic. This trend seems alarming.

I might be forgetting some players, but it is honest question - could you guys point out midfielder that moved from Bundesliga to EPL and exceeded expectations/ was brilliant transfer?!? I would not include de Bruyne there, cause he already had previous EPL experience.. nor Thiago (though jury is still out there regarding him) as he also was proven in La Liga before moving to Bundesliga.

Of course if our coaching staff and scouts deem him worth the risk (and price would not be enormous), then by all means - go for it!
Michael Ballack, possibly? ....struggling to think of any more.

Gundogan maybe? Google seems to agree that Nigel de Jong is the second best one (behind De Bruyne).

Michael Ballack, possibly? ....struggling to think of any more.
Gundogan maybe? Google seems to agree that Nigel de Jong is the second best one (behind De Bruyne).

Thanks, mates!
I agree with all 3 - Ballack and de Jong from earlier times (transfers 2006 and 2009) and Gundogan from current players / recent transfers (transfer at 2016). Ofc Sane is worth mentioning, but he is winger not midfielder...

But all in all, very slim pickings compared to all the Holtby's, Marko Marins, Xhakas, Kagawas, Mhkitaryans and so on :eek:

Can't help but feel this'll be a breath of fresh air around the training ground. And a lift the whole team needs.

Get it done ASAP.

Kevin de Bruyne, Gündogan. Özil and Kroos did also well in La Liga after Bundesliga.. Özil performed also quite well in the PL. But yeah, they are exceptions..

Sure.

Leroy Sane
Michael Ballack
Nigel de Jong
Son Heung Min
Mesut Ozil

Have all for the most part been a success story in the Premier League, and I think you can include de Bruyne, he barely had Prem experience.

Regardless of what you think of Ozil now, the guy was a creative machine for Woolwich and was superb during his first years for them. I know Ozil didn't come straight from the Bundesliga, but still.

Sabitzer will be fine. Plenty of players have come from the Bundesliga have succeeded in this league. One of the greatest defenders in the leagues history came from the Bundesliga.

Sure.

Leroy Sane
Michael Ballack
Nigel de Jong
Son Heung Min
Mesut Ozil

Have all for the most part been a success story in the Premier League, and I think you can include de Bruyne, he barely had Prem experience.

Regardless of what you think of Ozil now, the guy was a creative machine for Woolwich and was superb during his first years for them. I know Ozil didn't come straight from the Bundesliga, but still.

Sabitzer will be fine. Plenty of players have come from the Bundesliga have succeeded in this league. One of the greatest defenders in the leagues history came from the Bundesliga.

Son and Sane are wingers / attackers.
Özil did not come from Bundesliga, he was playing in Real Madrid.
I was thinking of players who were unproven in other big leagues.
And someone mentioned de Bruyne - come on, he had been in EPL before.

Literally my list from last 15 years consist of 3 players - Ballack, de Jong and Gundogan.

That is extremely poor record.

P.S that does not mean that we could not take a punt on him, just bit worrying how bad they have generally been.

Literally my list from last 15 years consist of 3 players - Ballack, de Jong and Gundogan.

P.S that does not mean that we could not take a punt on him, just bit worrying how bad they have generally been.

Your list of guys who flopped is fairly small and made up of guys who aren't really that comparable as well.

I think it is hard to take any generalities based on guys coming from the Bundesliga, seems like it could go either way.

True. I did forget that moving to a different league from Bundesliga before you move to the Premier League makes such a huuuuuuge difference.

Its the Dutch league and French league complaint all over again. Despite Ligue 1 producing most of the best young talent in world football, including the majority of the World Cup winning team and some of the best players to play in the Premier League have come from the Dutch League.

Just because Vincent Janssen flopped doesn't mean we shouldn't look at signing some of the best talent in the Dutch League just like signing Nkoudou should shy us away from signing the best in Ligue 1.

Especially when neither of the two were highly rated to start off with.

Sabitzer is a solid midfielder in one of the best leagues in the world who has starred at CL level. That's good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom