Marcus Rashford

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

200.gif

"It can be funny where your career takes you sometimes. If someone had said ten years ago that I would one day be writing for The Times I would have laughed, and yet here I am on Monday evening opening this with a question that has been playing on my mind all day: have I done enough?
I barely slept on Sunday night, nervous and worried about the delivery of my open letter, not because of the stance I was taking — that was never in doubt — but because I knew the impact a U-turn decision could have on families just like mine: low-income families who rarely have a voice.

People often ask me how it felt to score the deciding penalty against PSG to knock them out of the Champions League last season, my answer is always the same: did we go on to win the tournament? I have been overwhelmed by the support I’ve received over the last 24 hours, from MPs and members of the public, but the feeling I have is exactly the same as when we got knocked out of the Champions League against Barcelona in the next round: what did we achieve if we didn’t get the result we needed? If we didn’t lift the Champions League trophy?

Today I focus on a trophy that stands for something much bigger than football. A U-turn on the decision to stop the free food voucher scheme continuing over the summer holidays could help us reach the next round but we still have a very long way to go as a country to eventually lift the trophy. In this case, the trophy is combating child poverty.

I don’t claim to have the education of an MP in parliament, but I do have a social education. I am clued up on the difference a U-turn decision would make on the 1.3 million vulnerable children across the UK who are registered for free school meals because ten years ago I was one of them.

I know what it feels like to be hungry. I’m well aware that at times my friends only invited me to eat at their houses for their parents’ reassurance that I was eating that evening. That was my community, the community that made the Marcus Rashford you see before you today asking for your help: an England international footballer. As I passed through Manchester city centre on the bus as a child and witnessed homelessness on every street corner, I swore that if one day I got in a position to help those people most in need then that is what I would do.

I recognise that I have a valuable platform that allows my voice to be heard and I’m asking you to listen to the stories of these vulnerable families. People are hurting and we continue to ignore their cries for help. Of the 1.3 million children registered for free school meals, a quarter of them have not received any help to date during the lockdown — a forgotten generation.

When you next wake up and run your shower, take a second to think about parents who have had their water turned off during lockdown. When you turn on the kettle to make a cup of tea or coffee, think of those parents who have had to default on electricity bill payments just to make ends meet, having lost their jobs during the pandemic.

And when you head to the fridge to grab the milk, stop and recognise that parents of at least 200,000 children across the country are waking up to empty shelves and the innocent question “why?”. Today nine out of thirty children in any given classroom are asking why. Why does their future not matter?
This is the devastating reality of child poverty in England in 2020. This is a pandemic that will last generations if we don’t change our thinking now.

We should consider that these pandemics we are living through, Covid-19 and child poverty, will have huge effects on the long-term mental stability of both parents and children, and their reintegration into society. A society which, in their eyes, is failing them.

My mum would go days without sleeping, worrying about how she would cover the next round of bills, worried that I could get in trouble, mixing with the wrong crowds, if she couldn’t keep her eyes on me while working every hour of the day. Even at seven or eight years old I recognised her worry, but I also recognised that she was trying her best. I’ve said it once and I will say it again: this system was not built for families like mine to succeed, no matter how hard we are working.

I’ve heard the term “ordinarily” used often over the past 24 hours. I think we can all agree that these are far from ordinary times, so our approach should be anything but ordinary to protect our vulnerable children.

When it comes to pulling the national team shirt on we put any rivalry aside — we are England and we stand united. Today I am asking that all MPs put their rivalries aside and stand in solidarity on an issue that could prove detrimental to the stability of families across the country for generations to come. Help us break the cycle of hardship.

Please, do the right thing and extend the free food voucher scheme throughout the school summer holidays. Give our vulnerable families just one less thing to worry about."

:tobyarm:

I don't really understand the issue. The BBC writes " Families whose children qualify for free meals have received vouchers or parcels in lockdown".

Is this issue it is not enough or that people think they should be entitled to more? Or is that statement just wrong?

I don't really understand the issue. The BBC writes " Families whose children qualify for free meals have received vouchers or parcels in lockdown".

Is this issue it is not enough or that people think they should be entitled to more? Or is that statement just wrong?
It's not all families who qualify for free meals. Only some. And those parcels stop when the school year stops.

Nothing but admiration for this lad.

Started a charity that raised £20,000,000 and fed 400,000 children.
Launched a campaign with Selfridges to help the homeless
Learned sign language to judge a poetry event at a deaf school.
Got the government to fund free meals.

Should be a role model to every young footballer in this country - using his platform the better. I wonder if all the morons who tried crucifying footballers at the beginning of this pandemic are back in their little box.

Not many likeable footballers in the game - but likeable can certainly be said of Rashford.

Nothing but admiration for this lad.

Started a charity that raised £20,000,000 and fed 400,000 children.
Launched a campaign with Selfridges to help the homeless
Learned sign language to judge a poetry event at a deaf school.
Got the government to fund free meals.

Should be a role model to every young footballer in this country - using his platform the better. I wonder if all the morons who tried crucifying footballers at the beginning of this pandemic are back in their little box.
I never understood the calls for players to take a wage cut. It just means less income tax revenue.

I never understood the calls for players to take a wage cut. It just means less income tax revenue.

It's usually called upon by people who aren't that skilled at anything really isn't it?

Probably out of jealousy.

"oh but doctors and nurses should be paid more"

Fuck off. Since when has a doctor or nurse been able to bend a free kick in from 30 yards in the last minute to take England to a World Cup?

Fair play, celebrities and footballers have been a mess in general with all the fake virtue signalling and greedy behaviour recently but this is genuine decency and brilliance. Great role model.

I'm genuinely moved by what Marcus Rashford and his colleagues have achieved. In 21st century Britain, no parent should ever have to worry about feeding their kids, and people not having a roof over their head. Let's hope Rashford's deeds can shame the Government to work on more initiatives to aid those who require help, in whatever form. It's a shame we can't give him the ovation he deserves on Friday.

Wonder if we could get Rashford in to sort out our left back problems?

Considering he's been destroying alot of right wingers recently.

Great to see a professional footballer use his time so constructively and with great purpose. The sad thing is though, that twenty or even fifty million doesn’t come close to fixing the problem of poverty meals.

The celebrity chef Jamie Oliver once promoted the idea of healthy meals in [all] of our schools, and was clearly “ blind” as to the realistic cost of such an endeavour... it was never realistic.

It is not the job of celebrity chefs or celebrity football players to promote feeding the hungry a necessary daily meal or feeding the children a healthy diet- that is the job of the elected government and the children should be fed via taxation not charity!

Back
Top Bottom