Martin Jol on Spurs (his favourite club) and Ajax and our ex Ajax Players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Martin Jol on supporting and managing Spurs, and our ex Ajax players who he helped to develop at Ajax, not to mention the ex Fulham players we bought when Jol was manager there.

A good read.

Martin Jol on Spurs' former Ajax trio :

Jol on Vertonghen...
Like Christian, he is so cool, almost cold. He doesn’t feel any pressure. He was a left-back and a midfielder, but I made him a centre-back and he was so good next to Toby Alderweireld.

Jol on Alderweireld...
I put him in the team as a regular and he and Vertonghen played together. Toby was 20 and Jan was 21. We only conceded four goals at home all season.

Jol on Eriksen...
David Silva is an unbelievable player, but Manchester City are still Manchester City when he is out. Tottenham are different when Christian isn’t playing, which is why I believe he is the best midfielder of his type in England.

I love Martin Jol. After years of being shit we were finally on the right path under him and looking up and not down. It was the last time everyone was completely together and on the same page. The ground has never been like it was in the Jol years. There was no twitter then to encourage negativity either.

I love Martin Jol. After years of being shit we were finally on the right path under him and looking up and not down. It was the last time everyone was completely together and on the same page. The ground has never been like it was in the Jol years. There was no twitter then to encourage negativity either.

Much overlooked but we achieved 2 x 5th place finishes under Martin Jol - at the time our highest finishes for something like 20 years. And in the Lasagnegate season we were in 4th position until the last day of the season.

Before Martin Jol we had become a mid table and even below mid table club , and since him a consistent top 6 and now top 4 club. He really was a step chsange up for Spurs. And a lovely bloke too

I fucking love Martin Jol.

99e9a7d804dec782cf16bee7012847bb.jpg

Well it wasn't the clubs finest hour the way we got rid of him. Deserved much better and shows what a big man he is that he doesn't seem consumed with bitterness.
Was a big fan of his and still am.:bmj:

Well it wasn't the clubs finest hour the way we got rid of him. Deserved much better and shows what a big man he is that he doesn't seem consumed with bitterness.
Was a big fan of his and still am.:bmj:

He didn't have the finest sending off by Levy but I must admit his last season with us was a disappointment.

I however always seem to forgive him for this because my view of our club changed so dramatically after he came. He changed a lot, it wasn't just the results but how we viewed our club and our sense of self-respect.

We had almost come to accept that we're a mid table team for years before that.

We were lucky that Santini was so bad, a real shame Arnesen jumped ship as I would have liked to see where the partnership would go to.

I never enjoyed supporting spurs as much as I did under Jol - Success can be progress and we made so much under him. Best Atmosphere I remember at WHL was losing (SF?) to Seville, 60 minutes of MJ blue and white army.

We were lucky that Santini was so bad, a real shame Arnesen jumped ship as I would have liked to see where the partnership would go to.

I never enjoyed supporting spurs as much as I did under Jol - Success can be progress and we made so much under him. Best Atmosphere I remember at WHL was losing (SF?) to Seville, 60 minutes of MJ blue and white army.

Quarter final.

That night was awesome. Remember after half time it was just non stop. So so good.

I couldn’t speak the next day.
Queuing up outside and missed the first 15 minutes meant I missed the goal(s?) we conceded that meant we had very little chance of going through... . but still one of my favorite times at the lane.

Queuing up outside and missed the first 15 minutes meant I missed the goal(s?) we conceded that meant we had very little chance of going through... . but still one of my favorite times at the lane.

Yeah Steed OG and Freddie came back to haunt us.

But the noise from PL was pretty relentless.

So proud of our support that night.

Loved the Jol era.....took us to 1pt off the scum after the dark ages of finishing 40pts behind them, and took us into Europe.

Had the best home atmosphere in the PL, even rivals vouched for that.

Jol always has a place at Spurs for me, he started this journey.

How could anyone not love the big guy? A real class act and such a shame that it ended the way it did. His continued love for the club shows the measure of the man.

Back
Top Bottom