Martin Jol

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hi all, Fulham fan here and I'm after some thoughts with regards to our current, and your former, manager Martin Jol.
My problem with Jol is that he seems tactically inept, and his signings don't seem to make any sense. On paper, the signings of Darren Bent and Adel Taarabt are class, but I can't see how it works as a team when you take into account Dimitar Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz can not be dropped, but then we lose the width of Ashkan Dejagah and Alex Kacaniklic. Then if we're going to attempt a 4231, with Taarabt, Berbatov and Ruiz behind Darren Bent then there's got to be more pace in passing and fluidity in movement. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Also, he promises good football, but the only central midfielder with any kind of technical ability is 36, Giorgos Karagounis.

He's been a bit of damp squid really, although last season was ruined thanks to a certain club in North London stealing our best players. I was just wondering what you're memories are of his stint at Tottenham, and what ultimately let him.

Jol was wanted by SAF as a number 2 and first team coach. Instead he came to us and worked under Santini... I don't want to talk about this anymore as it's depressing.

wengerjol160806_228x291.jpg

Ave it!

Loved him as a guy and was devastated by the way he was sacked, which probably clouded my judgement of his management. However, he did make some quality signings for us and achieve our highest placed finishes for a good time before he took over, and i'd rate him as an overall success.

That being said, if he hadn't have been sacked and stayed in charge, I do wonder what our squad and league position would look like today.

One thing I miss from the Martin Jol era is the 5-0 home wins we would get against lesser oppositon, he knew how to get Spurs to play at home.

I loved his style , he was very good at buttering up the fans and loves a bit of naieve attacking football. Fond memories of that age , mainly because it felt like we were back amongst the big boys for the first time in ages.

oh and @ FPT FPT , whats your view on Ruiz - he used to play for my home team and have met him quite a few times , very likeable guy and a very good left foot. Do wonder if the EPL isnt a bit too phyiscal for him

Back
Top Bottom