Match Commentary or Not

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If the choice was available how would you prefer to watch a live football match on TV ?

• Live crowd noise but no annoying commentators talking over them

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Live crowd noise with commentary

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Depends on who the commentators were

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. Voldemort

No More Mr Nice Guy
Currently we can choose between commentary and recorded crowd noise or commentary and live stadium sounds. If it were possible in the future (when the fans have returned to the stadiums) to have the choice instead as being genuine live crowd noise and no commentary or live crowd noise with commentary which one would you choose ?
Would you rather watch the match as a genuine spectator or listen to the designated pundits talk over the game ?

Edit
If you choose option 3 then if you want to please tell us which ones you would listen to rather than all the ones you hate.
Be interesting to see who the good ones are reckoned to be.

Last edited:
Currently we can choose between commentary and recorded crowd noise or commentary and live stadium sounds. If it were possible in the future (when the fans have returned to the stadiums) to have the choice instead as being genuine live crowd noise and no commentary or live crowd noise with commentary which one would you choose ?
Would you rather watch the match as a genuine spectator or listen to the designated pundits talk over the game ?
Just the noise of the crowd is what I would prefer when watching on TV

The problem with commentators is there are always bloody two of them so they start waffling utter shit. If it was just one and he kept it simple then no problem.

However, I'd rather just have the crowd noise all day long.

Martin Tyler and Darren Fletcher from BT are great. Both main commentators. David Stowell too (currently commentating on the Fleetwood/Hull game).

I don't mind secondary commentators just as long as they can keep their bias in check and don't go off on massive rants. I don't mind Jenas but that's probably mainly to do with the fact that he's a Spurs boy, I don't actually mind Gary Neville either - he seems to pick quite a few technical things up during games that others don't. I can't stand Carragher though, his voice makes me want to pull my ears off.

Who do you like?

Martin Tyler and Darren Fletcher from BT are great. Both main commentators.

I don't mind secondary commentators just as long as they can keep their bias in check and don't go off on massive rants. I don't mind Jenas but that's probably mainly to do with the fact that he's a Spurs boy, I don't actually mind Gary Neville either - he seems to pick quite a few technical things up during games that others don't. I can't stand Carragher though, his voice makes me want to pull my ears off.

Who do you like?
I like Martin Tyler, Ian Darke and Peter Drury mate. Not too fussed on the rest.
I would like the opportunity though of watching a match with no commentary at all and just the crowd noise. I'd love to sit in my lounge with a few cans and the volume level set to 28 for a Spurs home game that I couldn't get to. Magic !

Commentators add nothing for me. I know more about Spurs, our club and our players than them. Just the sound of the stadium - and a mic on Jose for added entertainment?!

I prefer it without the crowd noise as you can often here the players and José shouting. Usually though that means there's commentary though which may be awful depending on the commentators.

I don't need a commentator to tell me what I'm seeing at a game at the stadium, so don't need one watching a game on TV. I find them all irritating and if there's not much going on, they speak utter twaddle to fill in the gaps.

In principle, I would prefer pure crowd noise, but it's still light years from feeling I am in the stadium. I cannot sing, and I cannot make comment with people I met for only 90 minutes in my life. That adds some fun to the rest.

So, I go for the classic approach, preferably without Scouse/manc/woolwich accents interfering, but I know it's asking too much

Last edited:
Then choose option 3 and tell us who you would be willing to listen to, let's see who comes out as the good guys.
:mourthumb:
Though not aware it certain games the commentators are just not there in terms of me paying attention to what they’re saying but funnily enough I do tend to pick up on anti-Tottenham comments when we play but in regard who’d I prefer......no one one in particular if I can switch of from them and concentrate on the game. But I’d prefer honesty if a player dives and cheats it’s called out not this he’s being “clever” nonsense he’s cheating end off.....Roy Keane is your man for that.

Back
Top Bottom