Match Commentary or Not

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If the choice was available how would you prefer to watch a live football match on TV ?

• Live crowd noise but no annoying commentators talking over them

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Live crowd noise with commentary

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Depends on who the commentators were

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I watch games on foreign streams, had enough of Carragher, Neville, Mcmanaman & Alan Smith ruining spurs games
...and Dixon, the slimy c**t.

I voted 'no commentators'. I've also really enjoyed watching games with no crowd noise at all. It's an experience we'll (probably/hopefully) never get again.

Not commentators but I prefer watching a game without the fake crowd noise.
Definitely prefer watching Spurs' games without the fake noise, but for other games, especially ones I'm not too invested in, I prefer to have it on.

When football goes back to normal, there should definitely be an option to mute the commentators though.

Put two Brazilian commentators on instead of the melts we get here.
I think there was a recent post featuring a goal scored by Erik Lamela,
I don't speak Portuguese but they are great to listen to when we score !
They must have been wheeled out of their studio in Rio through exhaustion after the destruction of Melchester Rovers !
Proper nuts.

I don't mind the commentary, but if there was an option to turn it off then I would. Not a fan of the fake crowd noise either.

Mr. Voldemort Mr. Voldemort - fancy adding an option for "No commentary, no fake crowd noise either" for me 😁
The poll concerns when fans actually return to the stadium so the crowd noise would be real. If you don't wish to hear that as well as not wanting a commentary simply turn your TV volume to zero. Sorted.

I think I've misunderstood as I don't think the likes of Carragher, Neville, McManaman, Dixon, Murphy, Smith, etc are commentators. They're pundits/summarisers, no?

The problem with commentators is there are always bloody two of them so they start waffling utter shit. If it was just one and he kept it simple then no problem.

However, I'd rather just have the crowd noise all day long.
I think this has been the biggest change to affect the TV viewing experience in my lifetime. I really don't mind commentary if it stuck purely to describing what was happening. I'm not looking for an opinion on the game, just identify who the players are that pass and/or receive the ball. If there's a tackle I want to know who tackled who.

I don't want to hear their opinion on whether they think it's a red or yellow card, or didn't deserve one at all, just confirm what the official's decision was.

I don't want to hear their opinion of the team sitting back or having all the possession.

I don't want the commentary to have any chit-chat.

I don't want meaningless stat-o-thon, in fact nowadays the stats are tweeted during the game (from opta and others) I can choose myself to read them, always makes me laugh when within 30 seconds of Opta tweeting something the commentator just repeats it. Same when on-screen possession stats or shot stats get shown, why repeat them? They are on the fucking screen!!

I don't know if this is an age thing or not, probably is, but whenever I rewatch an old commentary of say Barry Davis or Ken Wolstenholme this is how I want my commentary. Simple, clean descriptive of the action as it happens on the pitch. Take me to the game.

There are night and day difference to TV and Radio comms too, I've regularly opted for the radio coms whilst watching on TV (except Alan Green, who I simply can't listen to, basically down to being force-fed a constant opinionated version, I do listen to his build-up to games though).

I think I've misunderstood as I don't think the likes of Carragher, Neville, McManaman, Dixon, Murphy, Smith, etc are commentators. They're pundits/summarisers, no?
Pundit - noun - an expert in a particular subject or field who is frequently called upon to give their opinions to the public.

Not sure I'd classify most of those twonks as even that.

If you have surround speakers you can have a play by disconnecting speakers to find out which one takes out the commentary. Either the centre speaker needs unplugging or the front three. The rear two just had crowd noises.

As for commentators, I don't mind Peter Drury. But he could probably just sound better because he is usually paired with Jim Beglin. Possibly the most depressing whining drone in the sport. His love for the dippers makes Neville and Spitty seem level headed and rational.

For any games versus the dippers, chavs, manure or a cup game, I mute the commentary. I would much prefer to listen to Korean commentators or anywhere else that get worked up into a frenzy when we score.

If you have surround speakers you can have a play by disconnecting speakers to find out which one takes out the commentary. Either the centre speaker needs unplugging or the front three. The rear two just had crowd noises.

As for commentators, I don't mind Peter Drury. But he could probably just sound better because he is usually paired with Jim Beglin. Possibly the most depressing whining drone in the sport. His love for the dippers makes Neville and Spitty seem level headed and rational.

For any games versus the dippers, chavs, manure or a cup game, I mute the commentary. I would much prefer to listen to Korean commentators or anywhere else that get worked up into a frenzy when we score.
Nice tip mate. Thanks

I think this has been the biggest change to affect the TV viewing experience in my lifetime. I really don't mind commentary if it stuck purely to describing what was happening. I'm not looking for an opinion on the game, just identify who the players are that pass and/or receive the ball. If there's a tackle I want to know who tackled who.

I don't want to hear their opinion on whether they think it's a red or yellow card, or didn't deserve one at all, just confirm what the official's decision was.

I don't want to hear their opinion of the team sitting back or having all the possession.

I don't want the commentary to have any chit-chat.

I don't want meaningless stat-o-thon, in fact nowadays the stats are tweeted during the game (from opta and others) I can choose myself to read them, always makes me laugh when within 30 seconds of Opta tweeting something the commentator just repeats it. Same when on-screen possession stats or shot stats get shown, why repeat them? They are on the fucking screen!!

I don't know if this is an age thing or not, probably is, but whenever I rewatch an old commentary of say Barry Davis or Ken Wolstenholme this is how I want my commentary. Simple, clean descriptive of the action as it happens on the pitch. Take me to the game.

There are night and day difference to TV and Radio comms too, I've regularly opted for the radio coms whilst watching on TV (except Alan Green, who I simply can't listen to, basically down to being force-fed a constant opinionated version, I do listen to his build-up to games though).
Too right!

Usually the radio commentators are better, purely by the need for radio being descriptive and not opinionated or filler.

Which is why I prefer teletext for news as well. Less info is more likely to be correct info.

Too right!

Usually the radio commentators are better, purely by the need for radio being descriptive and not opinionated or filler.

Which is why I prefer teletext for news as well. Less info is more likely to be correct info.
The only caveat to radio comms is of course if you are purely listening to it, that's not to say you've got it on whilst watching the game on the telly. You simply have to trust what you are listening to is a fair reflection of what is happening in the game. I'm happy though to enjoy a radio commentary, they genuinely bring you into the game and describe events like crowd songs & celebrations, even what's being sung and why (if it was a reaction to something).

So many good radio coms get selected to do TV and turn to shit. Just look at Jonathon Pearce, when he was on Capital Radio his commentary was superb, yes perhaps it was a bit OTT but I'd rather that than some boring monologue but put him on TV and I'd have to say without any hesitation that he's the worst commentator in the game today, simply woeful. It would also serve him well to keep up with the laws of the game.

Huge point raised here I think and that's what the difference is between commentary and punditry . I wouldn't mind one person relating what is happening on the pitch as regards passing, shots, misses, goals etc. What I do hate is two gibbering idiots feeling it's their responsibility to fill every second of the game with inane comments, stupid jokes and unnecessary statistics.

I would quite like hearing the live crowd noises together with someone simply describing the action we are seeing on the pitch and saying fuck all when the ball is not in play. I'm not expecting them to hide their emotions and have a robotic voice devoid of all feeling but to just tell us what is happening rather than add unwanted opinions/comments.

Back
Top Bottom