Match fred QPR (h) - the Terry Venables derby

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vertonghen and Caulker are the new King and Dawson.

I did enjoy Jan at left-back though, he had more freedom to make those runs and link up with Bale.

I still think Vertonghen and Kaboul are the better defenders, but Caulker has unmatched potential. He really does look like he should grow into a phenomenal player.

Well we are going for 4 trophies. We need strength in depth. :bae:

Also just saw this on the Metro website:

@oguzwyfc24 added: 'I don't seem to understand why AVB is bringing on a defender when we are a goal down.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/9 ... z27KqQeTkc

:avbfacepalm: that's why you (oguzwyfc24) sit at home and comment on the game on Twitter, while AVB gets to stand on the touch line looking sexy while earning pots of money. :avblol:

think gallas attitude could be vital here, if he's prepared to sit on the bench, result. if he thinks he's nearing the end and wants to play as often as possible, that would be a cunt. as sub he can cover right across the back four and has the experience needed when verts and caulker have an off day, verts still has to adapt, good as he is, coming into the prem first season, he'll have a few mares, which he'll learn from but will need help at times. i hope gallas hangs about but i aint sure he's up to a full season, he's creaking at times, he could prolong his career doing this.

eperons, good point.

Couple of things about today, first of all ecstatic that we won, and great performance by Vertonghen, not only that tackle, but the steaming up the other end with Bale running alongside, it was like two steam trains bearing down, defenders panicked, Jan passed to Bale, Bale shot, and JD tucks in the rebound, so sweet. Great that AVB switched it around at half time, bringing on Caulker for Siggy and freeing up Bale down the left was exactly what we needed.

Second thing though - euphoria tarnished by being in the middle of a bunch of boo boys at half time, so this time, as opposed to Norwich, I started singing " If you're booing Tottenham Hotspur you're a cunt!". Lot of sheepish faces when I turned around, but I bottled from finishing the song cos literally no one sang with me. While discussing this with my son in the queue at WHL station after the game, an older guy chipped in saying that the team were shit today, and that AVB would be gone by November, and we won't do as well as we did under dear 'Arry who was a great manager and did I really think AVB would get us fourth? It was only 3 world class Freidel saves that kept us in the game, he said. On what basis did I think AVB was any good?

He didnt actually admit to booing but I get the feeling he had been, by his need to defend it. So this isnt news of course but the boo boys are at least in part, Redknapp lovers who are looking for any excuse to get on AVB's back. They are not at all placated by today's win, this is only the start. AVB still has a long way to go before he gets all the fans on board. The negativity from the Paxton Road though - well it is spoiling the home games for me and I end up just being angry with the fans.

HyNdZee said:
Vertonghen and Caulker are the new King and Dawson.

I did enjoy Jan at left-back though, he had more freedom to make those runs and link up with Bale.

Neither of them are as good as King just yet, but both of them will be better than Dawson ever was. No troll, promise.

I dunno about all the Gallas hate, I think he's been alright. Not amazing, but alright. The way our defense is playing is a bit different. Noticed it especially during the Lazio game that the back 4 plus Sandro are swapping roles a lot. Not to mention the (kind of) high line, not to mention Gallas' quickness. Theres a reason Gallas has been playing ahead of Dawson. Can't think of a goal we've conceded yet that was Gallas' fault. Just sayin.

edit was cause of too many "him"s not cause I fucked up!

Well that was indeed a game of 2 halves! We were so sluggish for a lot of that first half but AVB made the change at half time and we were like a different team in the 2nd. It's a shame some mongs still felt the need to boo at half time though but it I wasn't surprised.
I thought Caulker was decent bar a couple of misplaced passes. Vertonghen is outstanding and that goal saving tackle is an early contender for tackle of the season IMO!

I'm obviously happy with that second half but one thing I don't get is why we allow them so much space when they're on the ball?

rwb2000 said:
Couple of things about today, first of all ecstatic that we won, and great performance by Vertonghen, not only that tackle, but the steaming up the other end with Bale running alongside, it was like two steam trains bearing down, defenders panicked, Jan passed to Bale, Bale shot, and JD tucks in the rebound, so sweet. Great that AVB switched it around at half time, bringing on Caulker for Siggy and freeing up Bale down the left was exactly what we needed.

Second thing though - euphoria tarnished by being in the middle of a bunch of boo boys at half time, so this time, as opposed to Norwich, I started singing " If you're booing Tottenham Hotspur you're a cunt!". Lot of sheepish faces when I turned around, but I bottled from finishing the song cos literally no one sang with me. While discussing this with my son in the queue at WHL station after the game, an older guy chipped in saying that the team were shit today, and that AVB would be gone by November, and we won't do as well as we did under dear 'Arry who was a great manager and did I really think AVB would get us fourth? It was only 3 world class Freidel saves that kept us in the game, he said. On what basis did I think AVB was any good?

He didnt actually admit to booing but I get the feeling he had been, by his need to defend it. So this isnt news of course but the boo boys are at least in part, Redknapp lovers who are looking for any excuse to get on AVB's back. They are not at all placated by today's win, this is only the start. AVB still has a long way to go before he gets all the fans on board. The negativity from the Paxton Road though - well it is spoiling the home games for me and I end up just being angry with the fans.

I'm really struggling to get my head around why some 'fans' actually want to see AVB fail.....

Is it because Redknapp's "fackin run around" philosophy makes them feel empathy towards him as it's all they themselves can understand?

seriously , how good was Vertonghen yesterday , he really wanted to win and kept steaming forward , egging everybody on and coming in to the centre to boss the tackles and in the end of the game he even showed up in midfield trying to get a move going

He is a true winner , in the Belgian team he plays as LB and the determination he shows there is amazing. No wonder he got on with Rafa , they both would die before they gave up. The boss attitude on the pitch for a new player in a new league is impressive , never say die.

Back
Top Bottom