Match officials: Bent, incompetent or just trying to do their best.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

VAR should be a review system, like cricket, the captain or manager need to say within 20 seconds of a decision if they want to review. If they are proven to be wrong they lose the review and have say two 'wrong' calls per match each before they just have to accept everything.

VAR should be a review system, like cricket, the captain or manager need to say within 20 seconds of a decision if they want to review. If they are proven to be wrong they lose the review and have say two 'wrong' calls per match each before they just have to accept everything.
I was talking to my Old man about this yesterday. For offsides, give the power back to the ref and linesman. Let them flag for offside then, if challenged and reviewed, if the toe is offside, they go with "umpire's call," whether it's flagged or not. We see it in Cricket where if half or less of the ball is hitting wicket, they stick with whatever the umpire's call was, allowing for any marginal error in the technology. Apply the same to offside.

For handball, just go back to the original law. We never had anywhere near the drama we have now.

Okay what's up with this officiating against us, even unbiased eyes must see we are being harshly treated

I wish Ange would go on a benitez style rant . We'll have no players left soon through injury and suspension because of it

What do people expect when Elvis is one of the refs , we know at least two aliens have reffed our games . Also i’m pretty sure the game against West Ham was AI generated and we really won the game 6 nil .

The one good thing is the pitches are excellent with no slopes , conclusive proof if needed the earth is flat

Okay what's up with this officiating against us, even unbiased eyes must see we are being harshly treated

I wish Ange would go on a benitez style rant . We'll have no players left soon through injury and suspension because of it

It's to make amends for the dipper mistake.

Which is what it was. A mistake.

The ref today who let everything slide for the red shirts is a massive dipper fan. Isn't even allowed to ref their games so it's only a bit of a conflict of interest that he refs their rivals.

It's to make amends for the dipper mistake.

Which is what it was. A mistake.

The ref today who let everything slide for the red shirts is a massive dipper fan. Isn't even allowed to ref their games so it's only a bit of a conflict of interest that he refs their rivals.

Still can't believe this is allowed to slide. It's clearly not that he's such a good ref that they need him on the circuit either.

I hoped on a Discord server that I am on after the game, and one user (a Forest fan) claimed that we were the favoured team by the ref and that Forest dominated the game and were robbed.

I chose not to comment because at that point it isn't worth arguing.

My problem isnt the red tonight. Clear red. And romero was lucky last week. Its the cutting down, kicking of our players early in games. Yeats tonight summed it up. Its happened for months now. Look at udogies yellow compared to what forest got away with. Esp yeats.

My problem isnt the red tonight. Clear red. And romero was lucky last week. Its the cutting down, kicking of our players early in games. Yeats tonight summed it up. Its happened for months now. Look at udogies yellow compared to what forest got away with. Esp yeats.
I agree- so many flying two footed and scissor tackles- at least 4 in the first half alone. 2nd half lost count. Ben Davies elbowed directly in the face. TV replay showed it in crystal clear focus- No card! Unbelievable.

Whether conscious action or unconscious bias, or somewhere inbetween, I don't know- but something is amiss.

-Our opponents almost never get an early yellow no matter what.
-We collect yellows at a far faster rate than our opponents, and nearly all our marginal reds become reds.
-Opponents rarely booked, sometimes not even awarded a foul, for tackles that are borderline red.
-Opponents escape getting yellow until very late in matches, and then the bent ref awards a few in quick succession to make it look like it was evenly judged.
-We've had one pen awarded total all season. BS.

Last edited:
I agree- so many flying two footed and scissor tackles- at least 4 in the first half alone. 2nd half lost count.

Ben Davies elbowed directly in the face. TV replay showed it in crystal clear focus- No card! Unbelievable.

Whether conscious action or unconscious bias, or somewhere inbetween, I don't know- but something is amiss.

-We collect yellows at a far faster rate than our opponents, and nearly all our marginal reds become reds. -Opponents rarely booked, sometimes not even awarded a foul, for tackles that are borderline red. -Opponents escape getting yellow until very late in matches, and then the bent ref awards a few in quick succession to make it look like it was evenly judged.
The sheer volume of bad calls and consistently one sided reffing over such a long time period makes it hard to not think this is deliberate.

We were never favoured by refs, but this is worse than anything I've ever seen. Other than dippers, and chavs every other game has been extremely one sided against us, except maybe woolwich too, but even then they got away with trying to end Vicario's career.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree- so many flying two footed and scissor tackles- at least 4 in the first half alone. 2nd half lost count. Ben Davies elbowed directly in the face. TV replay showed it in crystal clear focus- No card! Unbelievable.

-We collect yellows at a far faster rate than our opponents, and nearly all our marginal reds become reds.
-Opponents rarely booked, sometimes not even awarded a foul, for tackles that are borderline red.
-Opponents escape getting yellow until very late in matches, and then the bent ref awards a few in quick succession to make it look like it was evenly judged.

Forest had 16 fouls to our 11.

And 2 cards to our 5. Nearly a 50% chance that we'll earn a card for a foul which seems very iffy.

As for elbows you're right about that and have been going on since the dipper match.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/184e98p/diego_carlos_elbow_on_bryan_gil/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I don’t really believe it’s a conscious bias against Spurs but I fully believe there’s an unconscious bias against us by the referees and that is because there is 100% a conscious bias against Spurs in the media so that they can drive clicks.

We’re the biggest rival to not one but two of the biggest clubs in the league, the biggest rival to another premier league club in London, too big to be the plucky underdog but not enough recent trophies to be considered a giant.

We’ve seen how the media narrative can even influence Spurs fans themselves. Many Spurs fans with large followings on social media are turning on Romero. Referees aren’t exempt from this, however much we want them to be.

They’re also just becoming more and more reliant on VAR the further removed we get from traditional refereeing. I posted in the Forest thread a photo of when the ball was played on that disallowed Forest goal and the linesman is quite literally several yards in front of our last defender. That’s just gross incompetence/laziness because he knows VAR will bail him out.

Last edited:
I don’t think I’ve seen a season with so many soft yellows and so many teams allowed to batter the squad.

Based on Destiny’s yellow, I think it would have been absolutely fair if Forrest’s Brazilian defender was given a second yellow.

I try really hard to not buy into too many refereeing conspiracy theories. That said if all refs got flown in from another planet and knew nothing about the histories of any of the teams or players...
can't help thinking we'd see a lot of different outcomes.

I don't think it's a conspiracy against us, but I do think refereeing has become much too political, especially with VAR in the mix. Refs are simply much too aware of media narratives.

A good ref just focuses on applying the rules consistently whilst trying to encourage a free flowing game that's about the football, not them. Not an easy job for mere humans. They're under more scrutiny than ever and they're losing their way.

They’re related though aren’t they?

If our players perceive that the opposition aren’t going to get pulled up for fouls it’s going to make our players angry. It’s why now the manager needs to step in and say something.

Very first thing they did was to get three players to all kick Son - it was so clearly Cooper's main instruction

I don’t really believe it’s a conscious bias against Spurs but I fully believe there’s an unconscious bias against us by the referees and that is because there is 100% a conscious bias against Spurs in the media so that they can drive clicks.

We’re the biggest rival to not one but two of the biggest clubs in the league, the biggest rival to another premier league club in London, too big to be the plucky underdog but not enough recent trophies to be considered a giant.

We’ve seen how the media narrative can even influence Spurs fans themselves. Many Spurs fans with large followings on social media are turning on Romero. Referees aren’t exempt from this, however much we want them to be.

They’re also just becoming more and more reliant on VAR the further removed we get from traditional refereeing. I posted in the Forest thread a photo of when the ball was played on that disallowed Forest goal and the linesman is quite literally several yards in front of our last defender. That’s just gross incompetence/laziness because he knows VAR will bail him out.
The unconscious bias is a good reason why we should bring in the best foreign refs and increase the standard too

Michael Oliver on VAR called "mutual contact" for Sonny getting thrown around when replays showed son didn't even touch him.

That cunt would have 100% called a pen had it been Haaland.

Carragher was also disgraceful yesterday. When Yates fouled Skipp he was saying "its not anything more then a foul" basically saying it wasn't serious foul play......he then realised the ref gave the foul for Skipp fouling Yates and absolutely stayed quiet rather then saying "how is that a foul on Yates".

Also he first thought Morgan Gibbs White was given a yellow for simulation and said "how it slightly unlucky" basically saying he didn't think it was a foul but didn't warrant a yellow. He finds out the ref gave the foul to Forest and states "yeh that's what I thought, its a foul"

Michael Oliver on VAR called "mutual contact" for Sonny getting thrown around when replays showed son didn't even touch him.

That cunt would have 100% called a pen had it been Haaland.

Carragher was also disgraceful yesterday. When Yates fouled Skipp he was saying "its not anything more then a foul" basically saying it wasn't serious foul play......he then realised the ref gave the foul for Skipp fouling Yates and absolutely stayed quiet rather then saying "how is that a foul on Yates".

Also he first thought Morgan Gibbs White was given a yellow for simulation and said "how it slightly unlucky" basically saying he didn't think it was a foul but didn't warrant a yellow. He finds out the ref gave the foul to Forest and states "yeh that's what I thought, its a foul"
Don't forget the laughing at Porro limping when he'd been stamped on.

Back
Top Bottom