Match thread: panathinaikos vs tottenham (europa league)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would like to see Lloris, Thudd, Dawson and Townsend get a game.

They are all good enough for our 1st team so would be good to get them involved.

Anyone know anything about our injured players? Are any of them close to a comeback yet?

Lloris
Livermore- Daws - Caulker - Walker
Huddlestone - Dembélé
Townsend - Falque - Gylfi
Mason/Any other youth striker

Tucker said:
I can see him resting a couple of the main players, but generally keeping a strong team:

---------------Lloris---------------
Smith----Dawson---Caulker---Verts
---------Sandro----Hudd----------
Falque--------Siggy-----Townsend
-------------Defoe----------------

I like this, would prefer Naughton for Verts and Ade for Defoe if they are fit but I don't think they will be.

Also, Carroll for Sandro would be nice too as he played well in Greece last year.

However I think Livermore and Mason are ahead of him in the pecking order now.

Six oclock! Hate these early European kick-offs. Hope I can find a pub near London Bridge showing it.

....................Lloris

Smith...Dawson....Caulker....Vertonghen

.............Thudd....Livermore

Falque........Siggy............Townsend

..................Mason

Not entirely happy with Defoe having to play this one although I'm sure he will. FWIW if Mason wasn't doing well in this lineup I'd sub him for Defoe at half time.

What are people's opinions of Mason?

I've barely seen him play, and his stats at loan clubs aren't exciting:

1 goal in 20 appearances for Donny, although he got 6 in 29 at Yeovil a couple of years ago. Not sure where he played at Yeovil but I thought I read Doncaster used him as a striker?

He's not really a striker though, he's more of an old school nr 10, so that means advanced playmaker-ish, The first part is what Windy told me anyway

I think Windy tweeted recently that he has high hopes for Mason if he can overcome his injury issues. Obviously AVB thinks something of him to play him in the cup the other week.

I really don't know what lineup I would play. I think a lot of players need a rest, but I wouldn't send some of our real youngins into this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OqFAoqmztE[/youtube]

This will be hostile and a good experience for some of the young squad players. A good balance of experience and young for me.

It sounds funny to talk about resting players at this stage, but its now that will make the difference later on in the season.

Walker should play as many games as he can, and this is a good one for him right before Villa, to iron out some positioning issues.

...........................Lloris

Walker............Dawson....Caulker............Vertonghen

Falque............Hudd...........Sandro...........Townsend

...............................Sigg

.......................................Dempsey

I like your lineup, Sammyspurs, but I wonder if we might not considering giving Sandro a breather, too.

I thought Parker was supposed to be back already?

[edit]Saw the injury report thread. OK, a few weeks away.[/edit]

Éperons said:
I like your lineup, Sammyspurs, but I wonder if we might not considering giving Sandro a breather, too.

I thought Parker was supposed to be back already?

[edit]Saw the injury report thread. OK, a few weeks away.[/edit]

I would like to rest him too, its a shame Livermore is also injured. And if Parker was training, this could have been a nice comeback match.

Also with Vertonghen, BAE and Naughton out, and Rose gone. Typical.

Thelonious said:
Dru said:
Thelonious said:
I won't be watching it :(

Good, you said that about Utd.
difference here is I did watch the United game in the end. :gallas:
Well then you'd better watch this in the end as well.

We're a superstitious bunch sometimes.

I would personally want everyone wearing same clothes, doing the same thing and in same place as they were for last Saturday, say between now and the end of May.

:gazza: :gazza2:

sammyspurs said:
This will be hostile and a good experience for some of the young squad players. A good balance of experience and young for me.

It sounds funny to talk about resting players at this stage, but its now that will make the difference later on in the season.

Walker should play as many games as he can, and this is a good one for him right before Villa, to iron out some positioning issues.

...........................Lloris

Walker............Dawson....Caulker............Vertonghen

Falque............Hudd...........Sandro...........Townsend

...............................Sigg

.......................................Dempsey

I agree with the comments, preserving peak fitness and fatigue is always an issue for any squad. I'd be half tempted to give Walker a break before Villa game, especially if he is to be involved in the international fixtures and then straight into Chavs game.

That is if it weren't for Falque in at RM I'd be tempted to put Smith in again, but he would need more experience in front of him I suspect.

Difficult one to strike a balance, as it is good to see this competition being taken seriously, but I suspect the clubs ambitions are such that it should never be at the expense of league position come May.

I suspect that the team above if fairly close to what we will see.

Thelonious said:
I'll be on a train for 95% of the game, mostly on the underground with no phone signal. :(
ITV4 + 1.

Or record and watch, set all the clocks / watches in the house to the kick off time (and you have to pretend it is real time, which unfortunately means sitting through the crap adds and even crapper 'analysis - no fast forwarding) when you start watching and we might just scrape through.

I expect nothing less than the above.

:adegrin2:

I'd go with:

Lloris

Smith - Caulker - Dawson - Vertonghen

Huddlestone - Dembele

Falque - Sigurdsson - Townsend

Dempsey

Livermore, Adebayor and Naughton have been mentioned by some, are they fit and training?

Back
Top Bottom