Match Thread: S.S. Lazio - Europa League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I suspect

[formation=4-2-3-1 GK=Lloris D=Naughton Vertonghen Dawson Walker DM=Livermore Huddlestone M=Dembele AM=Dempsey . Townsend S=Adebayor]First XI[/formation]

Subs: Cudicini, Bale, Carroll, Pritchard, Caulker, Gylfi, Defoe

zin said:
I suspect

[formation=4-2-3-1 GK=Lloris D=Naughton Vertonghen Dawson Walker DM=Livermore Huddlestone M=Dembele AM=Dempsey . Townsend S=Adebayor]First XI[/formation]

You've forgotten :gomes: & :jenaswtf:

:adelol:

Cripps14 said:
zin said:
I suspect

You've forgotten :gomes: & :jenaswtf:

:adelol:

I ignored Jenas and Gomes isnt registered for the Europa league :kaboul:

SadlerTHFC said:
I forgot about Pritchard, would love to see him get a run out on Thursday.

He didn't play for the u-21s today. Maybe injured or saved for this one!

zin said:
I suspect

This is exciting. We look like we have a genuine chance to go for it in Europe League while still being able to rest key players. That team looks much much stronger than the EL sides we fielded last season, and we have a big enough squad that we shouldn't sacrifice league form.

Don't think Pritchard will get a call up though

He is... I don't understand why people keep banging on about him not being allowed, it's a rule that's been in place for years and is used in the PL as well. Caulker is not registered amongst the 25 for either competition but he can still play!

ANDRE DETERMINED TO DO 'SOMETHING SPECIAL' IN EUROPA LEAGUE

Andre Villas-Boas has quickly turned his attention to an intriguing opening fixture against SS Lazio in the Europa League on Thursday night, admitting: "We want to do something special in this competition."

The Italian giants travel to the Lane for Matchday One of six in Group J, kicking-off at 8.05pm.
Lazio have made a 100-per-cent winning start in Serie A after three games and travel to London on the back of a 3-1 win at Chievo on Sunday.
Delighted with the result and performance to secure a first victory of the campaign at Reading on Sunday, Andre is looking to take that form into a competition he knows all about - he won it with FC Porto in 2010.
"This competition is very important," said Andre, who insisted he will be fielding a 'strong team'.
"It's a tough competition, you have to play 15 games before you reach the final, so it's hard and strenuous and the best teams out of the Champions League are playing.
"It gives access to the European Super Cup and, for me, I always thought it was a prestigious competition and it should be promoted like that because after the Cup Winners’ Cup disappeared, it is not only about the Champions League.
"If we can win a trophy, that represents a lot for Tottenham Hotspur's history as well and would be something really special."
We'll also face Panathinaikos of Greece and Maribor of Slovenia in Group J.

:ledleylick:

Would like to see Lloris, Caulker and Ade get starts (all arguably first XI players anyway given current injuries etc), other than that just win the game. Love the way we're talking about this competition this season - now we need to back the words up with selection/performances.

Momentum. I want it.

SadlerTHFC said:
I love it when AVb talks about our clubs history and stuff like that :dawson:

Yeah I liked the line about the scrapping of the Cup Winners Cup and it not only being about the CL. I think Spurs with AVB could go along way to raising the profile of this trophy if we take it seriously.

I think its only English clubs that dont to be honest, when you look at the the celebrations from Atletico Madrid's win.

I guess its like the CC mentality....its "mickey mouse" until you get to the final, and 90,000 people turn up.

sammyspurs said:
SadlerTHFC said:
I think its only English clubs that dont to be honest, when you look at the the celebrations from Atletico Madrid's win.

Italian clubs historically have not given two fucks about the Europa League either.

Of the last 10 winners you have 1 Ukrainian club, 2 Russian clubs, 2 Portuguese clubs and 5 Spanish clubs. So yeah, outside of the Iberian peninsula and the eastern european clubs, I nobody really gives a shit. A shame really.

While in France, I didn't pay a lot of attention to what French sides were doing in the EL, but I do know that after PSG got absolutely humiliated by Bilbao and crashed out of the group stages, Kombouaré was sacked, even though PSG was in first place in Ligue 1 at the time.

There were other, probably more pressing reasons (Leonardo wanted "his guy" in at Parc des Princes), but I have to suspect that EL failure put a nice cover on things. So maybe the French care a bit.

Of course, as I mentioned in a another thread, as of yesterday, there were still tickets available to tonight's match at PdP against Dynamo Kyiv.

It amazes me how UEFA/FIFA can't understand why the Europa is considered a 'lesser' competition to the CL, yet they allow teams knocked out of the CL in (by doing so, essentially stating 'this is a secondary competition')! I personally think, if UEFA want the Europa league taken more seriously, a Champions League place should be on offer for the winners.

I find Platini to be of a twat, especially after being against goal line technology. Can't see common sense changes being implemented with him. CL dropouts should be scrapped. CL place for Europa winners in place of one of the 4th placed CL entry leagues also if the team hasn't qualified via the league.

Back
Top Bottom