Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He seemed a very decent player for a very fair price. Everybody seemed pretty excited about his arrival.

How. little. we. knew.
I had seen Doherty play multiple times for Ireland outside of Wolves’ 532 system and each time I did he was utterly pants. I certainly wasn’t excited about his arrival.
The guy has no pace, can’t defend one on one, crossing is sub par at best. A really really average player. A poor mans right footed Ben Davies.

Now, my issue is, if I was able to observe the above (and anyone from Ireland will tell you the exact same) then how the absolute fuck did professional scouts from Tottenham Hotspur and Jose “The Special One” Mourinho think it was a good idea to bring this guy in? Just beggars belief.

Unless of course it was just a case of good oul Jorge Mendes picking up the phone and going “hey lads, I hear you’re in the market for a right back, I’ve a cracker here for ya. Only 12 million too”! At which point Levy’s ears pricked up and he shouts “Sold!” as he tosses aside any right backs we had actually scouted and shortlisted. I wouldn’t rule this out in the slightest.

Either way, his signing just encapsulates perfectly the utter imbeciles and inept individuals that are in charge of this club.

I had seen Doherty play multiple times for Ireland outside of Wolves’ 532 system and each time I did he was utterly pants. I certainly wasn’t excited about his arrival.
The guy has no pace, can’t defend one on one, crossing is sub par at best. A really really average player. A poor mans right footed Ben Davies.

Now, my issue is, if I was able to observe the above (and anyone from Ireland will tell you the exact same) then how the absolute fuck did professional scouts from Tottenham Hotspur and Jose “The Special One” Mourinho think it was a good idea to bring this guy in? Just beggars belief.

Unless of course it was just a case of good oul Jorge Mendes picking up the phone and going “hey lads, I hear you’re in the market for a right back, I’ve a cracker here for ya. Only 12 million too”! At which point Levy’s ears pricked up and he shouts “Sold!” as he tosses aside any right backs we had actually scouted and shortlisted. I wouldn’t rule this out in the slightest.

Either way, his signing just encapsulates perfectly the utter imbeciles and inept individuals that are in charge of this club.
Spot on. KWP better than that tin man and Stevie Wonder would say the same

He’s up there for one of our worst ever players in my book, utterly dreadful
I had actually arguments with people still on this site talking knowledgeably about this or that, on how he was a better player than Serge Aurier. He never was and never will be. On the best day of the blokes life he is horribly average. He is stealing a living and he is to my mind pound for pound the worst buy we have made in my life time.

I had actually arguments with people still on this site talking knowledgeably about this or that, on how he was a better player than Serge Aurier. He never was and never will be. On the best day of the blokes life he is horribly average. He is stealing a living and he is to my mind pound for pound the worst buy we have made in my life time.
Good “attitude” though, whatever the fuck that’s supposed to mean.

I only remember that the only Wolves fan I know told me that he was one of the weakest links in their team and benefitted hugely from those around him covering for his deficiencies. Also said that he couldn't play in a four and if we tried to put him there he would get exposed constantly.

This seems to be a theme among many who watched him regularly. So yeah, the fuck is up with our scouting department?

I only remember that the only Wolves fan I know told me that he was one of the weakest links in their team and benefitted hugely from those around him covering for his deficiencies. Also said that he couldn't play in a four and if we tried to put him there he would get exposed constantly.

This seems to be a theme among many who watched him regularly. So yeah, the fuck is up with our scouting department?

Meanwhile Jose had him down as their key man. :mourshock:

Meanwhile Jose had him down as their key man. :mourshock:

Honestly baffling. Jose's a prick but generally his football knowledge has to be commended, he knows far more about the game than any of us do, so it just confuses the hell out of me. Maybe arrogance in thinking he could make him work in a four despite all evidence to the contrary, I don't know.

Honestly baffling. Jose's a prick but generally his football knowledge has to be commended, he knows far more about the game than any of us do, so it just confuses the hell out of me. Maybe arrogance in thinking he could make him work in a four despite all evidence to the contrary, I don't know.
There's a far less charitable possibility to do with Mendes Mourinho other people's money and Matt Doherty...

Technically speaking Doherty still could turn the corner and become an elite player, if he isn't already!

I think he needs to make a step up to an uber-club before he reaches his true Ballon D'or potential.

640x640.jpg

Something something melty vanilla biznizz.....

Yep, certainly hard to see what value he has given us, which of course is not the player's fault.

We just get it wrong too often is my biggest gripe.

Yep, certainly hard to see what value he has given us, which of course is not the player's fault.

We just get it wrong too often is my biggest gripe.
Our scouting and transfer deals in the last 4 years are a total car-crash.

In any other serious profession those responsible for this level of incompetence (Levy, Hitchen et al) would have been fired and replaced. At Spurs they seem to have a job for life.

Back
Top Bottom