Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought the Young and Mings challenges were much more disgusting and red worthy than Cash’s. The former two should have been reds while Cash should have been booked.

The Mings challenge in particular looked like a leg breaker. Cash at least won the ball first and was just out of control while doing it.

Key factor.

Sorry, what we saw in that game was NOT typical Spurs... Not by a long shot.
In recent years, the only player with a consistent habit of dirty and dangerous tackles was Lo Celso.

Even Romero (Richarlison aside) has only been hard but fair, nothing like a scissor tackle at knee height.

Sure, and I think he deserved a booking but I think some of us are judging the result not the tackle. To me, the Mings challenge was the easily the worst of the bunch even though Deki was able to walk it off.

A diff. ref, at a later point of the game, following the letter of the law could have easily sent him off.

"Out of control" is a red.

The injury just proves that it was dangerous and vindicates why the rules are structured the way they are.... To discourage challenges that are likely to lead to injury.

Sorry, what we saw in that game was NOT typical Spurs... Not by a long shot.

Not typical , but are you saying, if I was an OCD type poster, I couldn’t now list hundreds of quotes if our support, probably me and you, celebrating a few crunchers???

Come on, that’s intellectually dishonest IMO…

They tried, and succeeded first half, in fighting us out of our technical dominance…

They don’t go in as hard, we have 0.01-5 more passing, thinking time… this is the fine margins where games may be swung against odds.

A diff. ref, at a later point of the game, following the letter of the law could have easily sent him off.

"Out of control" is a red.

The injury just proves that it was dangerous and vindicates why the rules are structured the way they are.... To discourage challenges that are likely to lead to injury.
Fair enough. I doubt we can change each other’s minds. I personally see it similar to Son’s challenge on Gomes years ago. His red was overturned and the reason he received one was because of the result rather than the challenge.

Fair enough. I doubt we can change each other’s minds. I personally see it similar to Son’s challenge on Gomes years ago. His red was overturned and the reason he received one was because of the result rather than the challenge.

You don't need to change my mind,

"Out of control" are your words, not mine and that phrase correlates with the rulebook on red cards.

Sonny/Gomez wasn't "out of control"; just cynical.....

You don't need to change my mind,

"Out of control" are your words, not mine and that phrase correlates with the rulebook on red cards.

Sonny/Gomez wasn't "out of control"; just cynical.....
There are several "out of control" challenges every game. If we are going to claim that ever "out of control" challenge is a red then every match will end 9v9. Cash won the ball and his follow through came through Doherty's planted leg. If he had lifted his leg up slightly, it's more likely that Doherty doesn't suffer the same injury. It's a series of unfortunate events.

Son's challenge was exactly like Young's. He was taking a "professional" foul to stop an attack. Let's not rewrite history to protect our players.

There are several "out of control" challenges every game. If we are going to claim that ever "out of control" challenge is a red then every match will end 9v9.

Again, you'd best take that up with the rulebook; not me.

Cash won the ball and his follow through came through Doherty's planted leg.

Winning the ball isn't the be all and end all in terms of assessing a foul/dangerous play.

Again; check the rules.

If he had lifted his leg up slightly, it's more likely that Doherty doesn't suffer the same injury. It's a series of unfortunate events.

Lifting a planted leg isn't possible. #Physics

Unless you're saying that MD should have just dived out of the way instead....

Son's challenge was exactly like Young's. He was taking a "professional" foul to stop an attack. Let's not rewrite history to protect our players.

We were discussing Cash's challenge, not Young's..... You compared Son to Cash.

Can someone post a clip of the Young one? I missed it during the game as it coasted to an end.
I have googled it but can't find it.
Can't find it anywhere but basically the score was 4-0 at the time with about 10mins left and Kane was running through the middle of the pitch with the ball and Ashley Young just completely took him out in the ankle with absolute no intent of playing the ball.

People will say it was a tactical foul but for me when the score is 4-0 with limited time left that's basically just someone smashing another player because they know they'll get away with it.

That should be a red card imo.

Just looked like a dead leg to me

Reports are he won't play again this season.

"Doherty’s injury is a ruptured MCL, which will see him out 8-12 weeks. That will carry into the early preseason for the 2022-23 campaign and his timetable for return will depend on rehab and fitness."

What is an MCL?

"The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is a wide, thick band of tissue that runs down the inner part of the knee from the thighbone (femur) to a point on the shinbone (tibia) about 4 to 6 inches from the knee."

There are several "out of control" challenges every game. If we are going to claim that ever "out of control" challenge is a red then every match will end 9v9. Cash won the ball and his follow through came through Doherty's planted leg. If he had lifted his leg up slightly, it's more likely that Doherty doesn't suffer the same injury. It's a series of unfortunate events.

Son barely touched Gomes, man.

Reports are he won't play again this season.

"Doherty’s injury is a ruptured MCL, which will see him out 8-12 weeks. That will carry into the early preseason for the 2022-23 campaign and his timetable for return will depend on rehab and fitness."

What is an MCL?

"The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is a wide, thick band of tissue that runs down the inner part of the knee from the thighbone (femur) to a point on the shinbone (tibia) about 4 to 6 inches from the knee."
Oh missed shit I missed that. That sucks!

Again, you'd best take that up with the rulebook; not me.

Winning the ball isn't the be all and end all in terms of assessing a foul/dangerous play.

Again; check the rules.

Lifting a planted leg isn't possible. #Physics

Unless you're saying that MD should have just dived out of the way instead....

We were discussing Cash's challenge, not Young's..... You compared Son to Cash.
Lifting a planted leg isn't possible? How the fuck do you walk on a daily basis? I'm not claiming Doherty should have done anything different.

I'm comparing the results of the Son challenge and Cash challenge, not the actual challenge itself. Son didn't go in trying to break a leg just like Cash didn't go in trying to tear Doherty's knee up. I don't blame Gomes or Doherty for getting injured. The results are both unfortunate and the challenges themselves are not red card worthy.

Back
Top Bottom