Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yet here you are sucking off Aurier
I'm not sucking him off, you idiot, I'm not slating him though there's the difference. He's being discussed because he plays in the same position as Doherty, so there's a reference for comparison in terms of their styles, their respective +/- and whether we will sell Aurier or keep him. All are IMO relevant topic for how we are looking in our RB/RWB position. If you fail to see any relevance then that's on you not me.

I'm not sucking him off, you idiot, I'm not slating him though there's the difference. He's being discussed because he plays in the same position as Doherty, so there's a reference for comparison in terms of their styles, their respective +/- and whether we will sell Aurier or keep him. All are IMO relevant topic for how we are looking in our RB/RWB position. If you fail to see any relevance then that's on you not me.
Slating the RB you claim was vastly superior to the RB that helped get us to the CL final, and now trying to claim his replacement is par.

Go you

That thousand page essays are needed to "explain" that Aurier is actually, er, really good probably means he isn't the best...but he's no way the worst RB in the league - not even close - and the idea he's our 'worst ever right back' is just laughable. He's better than a lot of our fans think. This debate is too polarised. The reality is Serge is just a solid PL level right back, prone to the odd rush of blood to the head but reasonable in his contributions.

That said Doherty is an upgrade - better offensively and will give away less silly penalties. I don't think he's actually the best defensively either but overall he offers more than Aurier. The overwhelming majority of Spurs fans are happy to see Aurier go and most Wolves fans think we got MD very cheaply, which says a lot.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in a Spurs shirt.

Slating the RB you claim was vastly superior to the RB that helped get us to the CL final, and now trying to claim his replacement is par.

Go you
Are you actually going to discuss Doherty is it only going to be about me?

Our RB slot:
Walker>Doherty-Aurier>KWP>Tripps>(Sissoko)>(Foyth, Tanganaga, Toby, Sanchez)>(Gedson).

I don't see Doherty as an upgrade on Aurier there are +/- to each, some nuanced given their roles asked of them by their managers but I see Doherty better offensively and Aurier better defensively but on balance I see them as broadly similar in their standing. Because of this, I would be more than happy to see them both play for Spurs next season and compete for this spot.

However, if we sell Aurier I absolutely do not see us having made any improvement in this position whatsoever. I do not see from our current squad who is capable enough at providing quality cover if we don't bring in another RB (if selling Aurier). I think it's a big risk to have a soon to be 29yr old in this position without quality cover.

Are you actually going to discuss Doherty is it only going to be about me?

Our RB slot:
Walker>Doherty-Aurier>KWP>Tripps>(Sissoko)>(Foyth, Tanganaga, Toby, Sanchez)>(Gedson).

I don't see Doherty as an upgrade on Aurier there are +/- to each, some nuanced given their roles asked of them by their managers but I see Doherty better offensively and Aurier better defensively but on balance I see them as broadly similar in their standing. Because of this, I would be more than happy to see them both play for Spurs next season and compete for this spot.

However, if we sell Aurier I absolutely do not see us having made any improvement in this position whatsoever. I do not see from our current squad who is capable enough at providing quality cover if we don't bring in another RB (if selling Aurier). I think it's a big risk to have a soon to be 29yr old in this position without quality cover.
I’m waiting for Doherty to game a Spurs game and then I’ll tell you if Aurier is as good

:adethumbup:

It's taken approx 10 posts this morning for this as your Doherty thread input. Wonderful, thanks for the insight, wisdom worth the wait.

Now back to me and Poch..........
Well you wrote off the manager the day he signed, and now claimed that our new RB is not an upgrade on Aurier.

You pre judge and write essay after essay, and then no matter what, you will stick to it.

I prefer to judge them after a while in our shirt.

If Hojberg plays like Pirlo and Roy Keane for us, I swear some of you will still say he’s Champo because “Southampton” and Ndombele is better

One other thing to point out is in spite of documented attitude problems when we signed Serge, his attitude with us (IMHO) has been very good. He's been a popular member of the squad and dealt with personal tragedy whilst still choosing to play for us, so I think he should be respected for that, irrespective of what you think of his footballing abilities.

Well you wrote off the manager the day he signed, and now claimed that our new RB is not an upgrade on Aurier.

You pre judge and write essay after essay, and then no matter what, you will stick to it.

I prefer to judge them after a while in our shirt.

If Hojberg plays like Pirlo and Roy Keane for us, I swear some of you will still say he’s Champo because “Southampton” and Ndombele is better
Why are you even in this fucking thread then?

Because I’m glad we’ve signed a new RB over the clown he currently have, and ended up reading 5000 posts from you about it’s all basically a waste of time
I've said IT'S A GOOD SIGNING about 20 times for fuck sake. I think he's a GOOD player. I'm glad we've signed him.

So, let's see you back in here after he's played some games, that's absolutely fine with me.

I've said IT'S A GOOD SIGNING about 20 times for fuck sake. I think he's a GOOD player. I'm glad we've signed him.

So, let's see you back in here after he's played some games, that's absolutely fine with me.
It means little when you think Aurier is a good player though and equally good

Happy with the signings but have worries about his positioning
At Wolves he played RWB but sometimes he was ridicously high up the pitch so high up he was like another ST in the box. In a back 4 surely this would get exploited and I know you'll all say , Jose plays with a back 3 system , but its not really a back 3 , its a back 3 in certain scenarios of the game , playing in a real back 3 and Jose's back 3 is different..

Back
Top Bottom