Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have 3 (+1) in the EL atm.

(I say +1 cos like I noted, Davies at CB also means Reg gets no rest from week to week).

I reckon we could easily play:

Toby - Sanchez - Davies
Doherty - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Reguilon
This week. Try it out. After an hour or so, bring Reg off for a wide man and go to a flat back 4. Reg gets his rest and leaves us with 3 of the back 4 that won't be playing this coming weekend.

These are the sort of games perfect for trying out different ways of getting the best out of a good squad.

Seen them a bunch this seasons and he's usually a mix of good and bad per 90m.

They seem happy to persevere with him so presumably for Hassenhutle the good is outweighing any bad.
He's great on the ball for them to be fair. So many of their attacks start with Ings/Adams running the channels and KWP is really good at chipping balls into their path. They play really well at times and he's often at the heart of it. But yeah, not the best defensively, can be physically outmatched and not great in the air.

He's great on the ball for them to be fair. So many of their attacks start with Ings/Adams running the channels and KWP is really good at chipping balls into their path. They play really well at times and he's often at the heart of it. But yeah, not the best defensively, can be physically outmatched and not great in the air.

Yeh, pretty much echos what I've seen.

Son plays LW for us against them and scored 4...... Can't say that was a good days work for a RB.

Toby - Sanchez - Davies
This week. Try it out. After an hour or so, bring Reg off for a wide man and go to a flat back 4. Reg gets his rest and leaves us with 3 of the back 4 that won't be playing this coming weekend.

These are the sort of games perfect for trying out different ways of getting the best out of a good squad.

I'm most keen to see PEH rested on Thurs (Denmark will rinse him again!)....

You think Winks/Gio can cut it in that line-up for 90mins?

Last edited:
I'm Most keen to see PEH rested on Thurs (Denmark will rinse him again!)....

You think Winks/Gio can cut it in that line-up for 90mins?

Id play Winks, Gio and Ndombele on Thursday.

With the aim of reshuffling the shape and bringing Reguilon, Ndombele and Bale off on the hour.

Toby - Sanchez - Davies

Sanchez is not clever enough to play as the middle man, he just doesn't think about what's happening, that Toby's place, he has football inteligents the other 2 just don't think "what if"

Sanchez is not clever enough to play as the middle man, he just doesn't think about what's happening, that Toby's place, he has football inteligents the other 2 just don't think "what if"

Yeah, it was just a rough write up. Sanchez is usually pretty good in a back three on the right hand side too.

People come on.

How many games for us are we talking for this guy?

Honestly Wolves and years are not THFC and 4 months or whatever it is.

Did people think we were signing Cafu, Neville or type?

We sound like the rabble we happily slate about being entitled. God forbid we show a degree of patience.

It was only 4 games ago people were berating Hojbjerg.

But he's 6 years younger and will learn and get better. Will Doherty?

I previously backed KWP to the hilt as 'one of our own', but only time will tell if that's true.

For our RB rotation it's the here and now that matters and the kid had been starved of game-time for long enough (whilst MD was brought in to potentially be #1).

I responded to the suggestion that Doherty was a "downgrade" on KWP..... I disagree with that.

Doherty is doing fine. We're 6-1-1 with +13 GD in matches he's started this season.

He's spent the majority of his professional years playing RB in the Championship and League One, and the past 2 seasons in the PL playing RWB in a back 5 for Wolves.

His limited international inexperience -- being stuck behind Ireland's captain & RB, Seamus Coleman -- should give us a sense of his overall level.

With the exception of last season, he hasn't had to slog away (doing double and triple duty) in European Cup + international competitions for years, so he has relatively 'low miles' for a 29 year-old.

Aurier only started 3 of our first 8 PL matches last season (we went 1-2-2 in the 5 matches he didn't play), so we seem to be in much better place this season with Doherty as our other RB option.

Doherty is doing fine. We're 6-1-1 with +13 GD in matches he's started this season.

He's spent the majority of his professional years playing RB in the Championship and League One, and the past 2 seasons in the PL playing RWB in a back 5 for Wolves.

His limited international inexperience -- being stuck behind Ireland's captain & RB, Seamus Coleman -- should give us a sense of his overall level.

With the exception of last season, he hasn't had to slog away (doing double and triple duty) in European Cup + international competitions for years, so he has relatively 'low miles' for a 29 year-old.

Aurier only started 3 of our first 8 PL matches last season (we went 1-2-2 in the 5 matches he didn't play), so we seem to be in much better place this season with Doherty as our other RB option.

Utter tosh:

Coleman has been a quality player and you don't get transferred to bigger international team.

......Also the championship regularly play twice a week.

Id play Winks, Gio and Ndombele on Thursday.

With the aim of reshuffling the shape and bringing Reguilon, Ndombele and Bale off on the hour.

To judge by Lo Celso's other appearances so far this season (including v Antwerp and Brighton recently), we might well need to bring him off after 60 minutes too.

Which begs the question as to whether you can play the two together atm, if we need to bring on 2 other cm's to replace them after an hour

I was suggesting giving Harvey White his debut given his very decent pre-season, but JM might consider it too big a risk if he needs to play alongside the likes of Sissoko for 30 mins

To judge by Lo Celso's other appearances so far this season (including v Antwerp and Brighton recently), we might well need to bring him off after 60 minutes too.

Which begs the question as to whether you can play the two together atm, if we need to bring on 2 other cm's to replace them after an hour

I was suggesting giving Harvey White his debut given his very decent pre-season, but JM might consider it too big a risk if he needs to play alongside the likes of Sissoko for 30 mins

I'd go 50/50 with Ndombele & Gio on Thursday....

Utter tosh:

Coleman has been a quality player and you don't get transferred to bigger international team.

......Also the championship regularly play twice a week.
What is "utter tosh"?

That Coleman was first choice RB for Ireland? ☑️
That Doherty has fairly limited international + European Cup appearances? ☑️

Aurier has 3x the international appearances that Doherty does in the past 4 years, many of those matches on another continent.

The Championship only has +8 matches/season more than the PL, while Spurs have averaged 9.25 Champions League matches/season the past 4 seasons alone.

What is "utter tosh"?

That Coleman was first choice RB for Ireland? ☑️
That Doherty has fairly limited international + European Cup appearances? ☑️

"should give us a sense of his overall level."

.....It doesn't.

Aurier has 3x the international appearances that Doherty does in the past 4 years, many of those matches on another continent.

The Championship only has +8 matches/season more than the PL, while Spurs have averaged 9.25 Champions League matches/season the past 4 seasons alone.

Your 'Aurier facts' have nothing to do with the point I quoted nor the point I made.

Just to humour you though....

Doherty career appearances: 382
Aurier career appearances: 304

You're in this thread purely to big up your boy.... Save that shit.

"should give us a sense of his overall level."

.....It doesn't.
You can believe whatever you like, but he's been behind Coleman for 3 Ireland managers in a row.
Your 'Aurier facts' have nothing to do with the point I quoted nor the point I made.

Just to humour you though....

Doherty career appearances: 382
Aurier career appearances: 304

You're in this thread purely to big up your boy.... Save that shit.

Fuck off. I'm in this thread to say that Doherty is doing fine and that we're better off this season having him.

Per Wikipedia (I know, I know, you forgot to add those all cup competitions -- the exact point I'm making.):

Aurier: 391 career appearances
Doherty: 360 career appearances

Doherty has been fortunate to not miss any significant time due to serious injuries. Whether that's due to good luck, good genes, or the benefit of having summers, European competitions and international breaks off for the majority of his career, well, I'll leave that to the posters on here who are able to read tea leaves.

Back
Top Bottom