Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Reg does look a lot better. We’d always expect new signings to vary in the time it takes to settle. And Doherty is also trying to get to grips with differing tactics. Reg does what Reg does and does it very very well. Probably settled quicker than I could have hoped. PEH also very quick to settle.

And when you consider we’ve yet to really see the best of GLC and Tanguy, well over a year after signing them, I’m sure Doherty has more to show us. If he’s still not pulling up trees in the summer, then we may have an issue.
Basically, this guy is or will be very, very soon on a doward curve. I suspect the expectation was for him to have hit the ground running given his age and where he previously played.

He's not been good at all since joining, I've not laid into him once as I've been patiently waiting, but it may sound unfair but there isn't much time left for him to start to produce given his background.

If anyone wanted to know why Wolves sold him for so little - this is why.

The typical 'systems' player and Nuno Santos knew it. Add to that, he's coming up to 30 next month. Of course, I'll still give him time. He's adapting from being in a Nuno system for 4 years and now come into a Mourinho team that play a flat back 4 all whilst competing with someone in Aurier who has raised his game.

But we are a quarter into the system and there's been no signs of improvement so far. Aurier got abuse in less time.

Basically, this guy is or will be very, very soon on a doward curve. I suspect the expectation was for him to have hit the ground running given his age and where he previously played.

He's not been good at all since joining, I've not laid into him once as I've been patiently waiting, but it may sound unfair but there isn't much time left for him to start to produce given his background.
I suppose we all have differing expectations. I know that I’ve worked for a few companies, doing exactly the same job, with the same prospective client base and it’s taken me weeks and months to get up to speed. Getting to grips with the strengths and weaknesses of the different departments and individuals, company processes, etc. No different from team mates and tactics I’d say.

And this is not aimed at you, but it’s refreshing in these times of change in the world that TFC maintain the usual structure of a player thread. Give the guy a coating for a few dozen pages, then realise he’s actually quite good when he settles in. Always worth revisiting the Kane, Son, Dembele threads as examples of us punting the toys out of the pram early on and then having to crack out the humble pie. Let’s just hope Doherty gets the same treatment and doesn’t end up as one of the non humble pie threads.

If anyone wanted to know why Wolves sold him for so little - this is why.

The typical 'systems' player and Nuno Santos knew it. Add to that, he's coming up to 30 next month. Of course, I'll still give him time. He's adapting from being in a Nuno system for 4 years and now come into a Mourinho team that play a flat back 4 all whilst competing with someone in Aurier who has raised his game.

But we are a quarter into the system and there's been no signs of improvement so far. Aurier got abuse in less time.
But but the foul throw...

On what I've seen so far, OK as a squad player, but Serge looking the best bet for first choice, at the moment. I'm not giving up on him yet, though, we need capable back up in all areas.

I think there are one or two. They had been having goes at Aurier while bigging up Doherty. Madness really.
I’d go as far as to suggest if the only thing Doherty achieves for £16m is ensuring Aurier gets his shit in order, it’s a bargain. Aurier has been much better this season. His third season.

I’d go as far as to suggest if the only thing Doherty achieves for £16m is ensuring Aurier gets his shit in order, it’s a bargain. Aurier has been much better this season. His third season.
Aurier has been very decent since last year really. Its just how bad Doherty is, thats making people realise how good Aurier is.

When I saw Leicester get Castagne in the summer, I instantly knew we made a huge mistake. He wanted to come here, was available for about 25m, much more proven and a good 5 years younger too.

It's unbelievable the plan this season was originally to play with Doherty and Davies as first choice full backs. We'd have been nowhere near the top 4. Thank Christ Reg became available and Milan never made a serious offer for Aurier.

It's unbelievable the plan this season was originally to play with Doherty and Davies as first choice full backs. We'd have been nowhere near the top 4. Thank Christ Reg became available and Milan never made a serious offer for Aurier.
Wish we never got rid of Trippier. He was better than Doherty defensively and frankly a class apart in terms of offensive output. Trippier could always be relied on to be out there in that RW spot to receive a cross field ball and deliver a decent cross.

Not to mention the fact that there would be no "adjustment period".

When we sold him I expected us to go for a real top player or at least a top prospect, only to come to horrifying realisation that Foyth was Trippier's replacement.

One thing I'll say in his defense tonight is that I feel like he was left on an island tonight and was given a bunch of hospital passes to deal with.

That's all I'll say though cause he was pretty dreadful.

Reg does look a lot better. We’d always expect new signings to vary in the time it takes to settle. And Doherty is also trying to get to grips with differing tactics. Reg does what Reg does and does it very very well. Probably settled quicker than I could have hoped. PEH also very quick to settle.

And when you consider we’ve yet to really see the best of GLC and Tanguy, well over a year after signing them, I’m sure Doherty has more to show us. If he’s still not pulling up trees in the summer, then we may have an issue.

We saw straight away glimpses of what GLC and Ndombele can do. Doherty hasnt shown anything at all.

Wish we never got rid of Trippier. He was better than Doherty defensively and frankly a class apart in terms of offensive output. Trippier could always be relied on to be out there in that RW spot to receive a cross field ball and deliver a decent cross.

Not to mention the fact that there would be no "adjustment period".

When we sold him I expected us to go for a real top player or at least a top prospect, only to come to horrifying realisation that Foyth was Trippier's replacement.
Its mad really. I was cool with it because I thought wed had a better replacement lined up.

Back
Top Bottom