Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So having Bale instead of Sissoko doesnt make a difference to Doherty's qualities. He was shit with other players around and he is still shit with Bale helping him.
I don’t think it helps.

But, as I have been VERY clear about in my last few points, my main points are about his strengths when playing with Wolves. Not for us. I think he’s been below acceptable for us. But I don’t think he’s been anywhere near as bad as the usual “either the worst player ever or the best player ever” mob would suggest. I keep seeing he’s the worst player to pull on a Spurs shirt. Like Winks, Sissoko, Dav, etc. Anyone that comes up with shite like that is either new to this, or attention seeking.

What I was saying about his time here, is that we need to be careful for what we wish. We are hardly full to the brim of right back talent and the reason Aurier has looked so good in a number of games this season is he has had his pal right beside him. So, in my opinion, he’s not any more of a decent bet to be first choice right back than Doherty.

Really worth having a back and forth about?

What I was saying about his time here, is that we need to be careful for what we wish. We are hardly full to the brim of right back talent and the reason Aurier has looked so good in a number of games this season is he has had his pal right beside him. So, in my opinion, he’s not any more of a decent bet to be first choice right back than Doherty.

Really worth having a back and forth about?
Nope. Its nonsense to suggest Doherty will ever be first choice anyway.

Thought Doherty did well last night. I didn't think he played too bad against Fulham so was good to see him more consistent yesterday.
He wasn't dreadful last night but I think we'd have been better with Aurier.
He WAS dreadful against Fulham though. Not sure what match you watched but they spent the entire 2nd half pinging balls into our RB area because they were getting the most success from there.

I don't wrote off players in their first full seasons. Modric was voted the worst signing in his first season in Madrid. It was that bad. Doherty used to be a very good player for Wolves. Nothing says he will not eventually become one for Spurs.
Eventually? He’s 29. This is the late prime of his career. He already looks off the pace, imagine what losing a step will look like.

One more thing that I believe bears mentioning is that when Aurier has performed at his best is when he has had Sissoko no more than ten feet away from him. Pretty much having two guys do one guys job.

Now Sissoko seems to have been banished to the bench, rightly so, that side has less protection. Let’s see how Aurier does with the “defensive support” of Bale.
Bullshit

He wasn't dreadful last night but I think we'd have been better with Aurier.
He WAS dreadful against Fulham though. Not sure what match you watched but they spent the entire 2nd half pinging balls into our RB area because they were getting the most success from there.
Agree to a certain point, but against Fulham it was a better game than he has had recently. We kept a clean sheet despite the fact they were targeting a poor RB? He isn't a world beater and there is certainly room for improvement but not sure how you can say he was dreadful when we didn't concede which for us is a minor miracle with some of the defensive performances we've seen this season.

That seems to be a nicely planted article for other teams to read and start thinking that he might be back to "good" by the time the transfer window comes around.

No chance even Jose can actually think that Doherty is getting any better. But a nice puff piece put out by a club friendly media source might get some interest from other clubs in the summer.

That seems to be a nicely planted article for other teams to read and start thinking that he might be back to "good" by the time the transfer window comes around.

No chance even Jose can actually think that Doherty is getting any better. But a nice puff piece put out by a club friendly media source might get some interest from other clubs in the summer.
Oh my I just realised you may have a point

Imagine if we can trick people into thinking he could be good and we somehow manage to get some money from him.

Levy + Jose masterclass.

I don't wrote off players in their first full seasons. Modric was voted the worst signing in his first season in Madrid. It was that bad. Doherty used to be a very good player for Wolves. Nothing says he will not eventually become one for Spurs.
Modric v Doherty. As comparisons go it's a bold one, I'll give you that...

Humour aside, 'the doc' has surely been a big disappointment. I thought he'd compete with Aurier at least, when the latter has been far better for us. In his defence he did play as RWB for Wolves and we haven't used him well. I wouldn't rearrange the team for him though, so out he goes.

We need a right footed Requilion instead of Aurier or Doherty. Bale can’t be expected to defend. You don’t see Klopp asking Salah to defend. RB along with CB are the two big areas of the pitch we need to get upgrades. Better individuals in our back 4 may also mean Mourinho chooses two attacking midfielders instead of two defensive midfielders in most matches.

Back
Top Bottom