Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well I could come here and easily gloat about my many posts pre season telling everyone he wasn;t an upgrade on Aurier only to be widely derided. But thats not my style, like Jose, I am a humble one.

No, popping up with another unpopular opinion, I think Bale prefers playing with him. They have some nice little triangles and give and go's going on. I think that side of him is promising. There I have said it,

Well I could come here and easily gloat about my many posts pre season telling everyone he wasn;t an upgrade on Aurier only to be widely derided. But thats not my style, like Jose, I am a humble one.

No, popping up with another unpopular opinion, I think Bale prefers playing with him. They have some nice little triangles and give and go's going on. I think that side of him is promising. There I have said it,
Half tongue in cheek I know but I'm loving Reggie and Sonny linking up down the left.

Doherty, who has four assists to his name this season, has also struck up a friendship with Gareth Bale, which has translated into a good link-up down the right-hand side together.

"Lately, me and Gareth have been playing together, whether it has been in cup games, Europe or wherever, and I feel we do link up well," he said.

"He goes inside, gets in the pockets, obviously, opposition players are scared to go near him because he is so good on the ball, and I'll do the running up the line if I have to.

"Whether he slides me in, puts me out wide or I get the cross in, we seem to link up well and we just seem to have an understanding.

"I know if I make a run, he has the vision and the weight of pass to slide me in - and it'll be perfect. So, I do really enjoy playing with him."

"We started off the season really well. We were consistent. We just looked really good, everybody was pretty confident," he explained.

"Then we seemed to be in an extended period of lost confidence and it's not really normal to have been out of form for that long.

"I think we just needed to believe in ourselves again believe that those first three or four months of the season wasn't the peak for us.

"Going forward, if you just look at the games in front of us, we've just got to knuckle down and build on our good performances to give us that boost.

"We need to just build a chain of wins and that will breed confidence, and with the players we have here, when everybody has that confidence, it can become an unstoppable team."

Agree to a certain point, but against Fulham it was a better game than he has had recently. We kept a clean sheet despite the fact they were targeting a poor RB? He isn't a world beater and there is certainly room for improvement but not sure how you can say he was dreadful when we didn't concede which for us is a minor miracle with some of the defensive performances we've seen this season.
It was hard to watch and we kept the clean sheet despite him, not because of him.
We might not have had our backs to the walls for so much of the 2nd half if we weren't being bypassed down that side time after time.

Doherty, who has four assists to his name this season, has also struck up a friendship with Gareth Bale, which has translated into a good link-up down the right-hand side together.

"Lately, me and Gareth have been playing together, whether it has been in cup games, Europe or wherever, and I feel we do link up well," he said.

"He goes inside, gets in the pockets, obviously, opposition players are scared to go near him because he is so good on the ball, and I'll do the running up the line if I have to.

"Whether he slides me in, puts me out wide or I get the cross in, we seem to link up well and we just seem to have an understanding.

"I know if I make a run, he has the vision and the weight of pass to slide me in - and it'll be perfect. So, I do really enjoy playing with him."

"We started off the season really well. We were consistent. We just looked really good, everybody was pretty confident," he explained.

"Then we seemed to be in an extended period of lost confidence and it's not really normal to have been out of form for that long.

"I think we just needed to believe in ourselves again believe that those first three or four months of the season wasn't the peak for us.

"Going forward, if you just look at the games in front of us, we've just got to knuckle down and build on our good performances to give us that boost.

"We need to just build a chain of wins and that will breed confidence, and with the players we have here, when everybody has that confidence, it can become an unstoppable team."
The guy's a RB Davies.

We need a proper upgrade in this position and Serge to be back-up/rotation.

Doherty obviously isn’t a shit player. He was very good for Wolves. We just aren’t set up to play to his strengths.

I know he has limitations defensively, not a good look for a defender to be fair, but he’s strong in an attacking sense.

The difference was when he was at Wolves, he was able to get forward without thinking “what the fuck is going to happen back there if I’m up the field?”. I really believe a lot of what we’ve seen from him is due to him always having to think too much about the defensive fuck up that is bound to come from our central defence if he is attacking.

Add a strong CB or two in the summer and I think we’ll see the best of him next season.
That is very very kind

I think that’s in your nature .... but that’s a real stretch

Back
Top Bottom