Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not making any complaint with the signing, I think he's a good player and I think it's a sound singing for us.

But he's absolutely not an upgrade on Aurier which is the point being made (I don't have a massive issue with Aurier, he's not top draw but neither is Doherty). Aurier is by quite some distance the better of the two defensively and by a small margin, Doherty is better in attacking phases. Whilst the comparisons are valid in that they both play WB (rather than FB), which is helpful whilst comparing them, how they are used in their teams is different with Doherty regularly coming off his wing to run in behind defences, whereas we opt to have Aurier stay out wide, because of this their stats will no doubt be skewed somewhat.

If we keep Aurier then our business is great. If we sell Aurier and don't by another RB/WB then I don't think our business is all that astute given Doherty's age and Tanganaga, Foyth, Toby, Sanchez, Sissoko, Gedson aren't very good options to provide cover/competition (we could go 3ATB and push Davies/Sess up as WB on the left I suppose.) But Jose has been trying out Gedson as RB in our preseason friendlies so I have major concerns that if we sell Aurier we are in exactly in the same position as we have been with Aurier, stuck with a RWB who's OK but not top draw.

How about actually making a point(s) that support Doherty as our only FB/WB is a better option than having Aurier as our only FB/WB option.
I don't hate aurier I just think he lacks brain cells defensively. Whether or not Doherty works out or not what I can say is that he is less likely to make faults that aurier does. Doherty has been at wolves for ten years and all their fans are gutted about the sale. He is a quality player and I'm 100% sure he will do more for us the aurier did and Jose likes him so he can't be that shit.

At least the corner flag will be safe from getting hit.
Every time a ball flew safely over the heads of every player in the box and out for an opposition throw in, a bit of my soul died.

I actually think a lot of neutrals underestimate how much our overall play is going to be improved by the 30m spent on Højbjerg and Doherty. So much of our attacking play comes from that right flank and we've just bought the best RB in the PL outside of Liverpool for that purpose.

I don't hate aurier I just think he lacks brain cells defensively. Whether or not Doherty works out or not what I can say is that he is less likely to make faults that aurier does. Doherty has been at wolves for ten years and all their fans are gutted about the sale. He is a quality player and I'm 100% sure he will do more for us the aurier did and Jose likes him so he can't be that shit.
What faults exactly did Aurier make last season?

Rewatch the Europa League match against Sevilla for reference on what he does defensively, he was beaten and lost the ball numerous times. Now I'm not getting all pissy over this, but if you think Aurier is bad defensively then you are 100% not going to enjoy watching Doherty's defending.

I'll say again, I think his a good player, I think Aurier is a good player but Aurier is a better "defensive action" (not in the air) player than Doherty. I would be pleased if both were competing for this spot, I will not be impressed if Aurier is sold without another RB/WB coming in, as I don't think that would be an improvement.

Is that meant to make people feel better? Signing a player who’s nearly 29 and just had his worst season? Would you say Wolves have just offloaded a player on the decline approaching the end of his career and getting a decent fee in a COVID market?

Again people need to chill out about Aurier’s ”mistakes” they are fucking blown out of all proportion it's ridiculous, I mean they really are few and far between now (loads and loads of diving in during his first season, which he’s by and large cut out of his game now). The stats also will not include Doherty’s mistakes too. But trust me Aurier is the better ”defender” of the two players.

I say again to avoid any confusion I LIKE Doherty but anyone expecting a massive upgrade on Aurier is going to be bitterly disappointed.
Take a day off!

Radical Rei Radical Rei

bet.jpg

....When you can find time, I nominate the British Heart Foundation. 👍 👍 👍
I'm true to my word :)

KCvMbyz.png

I'm not making any complaint with the signing, I think he's a good player and I think it's a sound singing for us.

But he's absolutely not an upgrade on Aurier which is the point being made (I don't have a massive issue with Aurier, he's not top draw but neither is Doherty). Aurier is by quite some distance the better of the two defensively and by a small margin, Doherty is better in attacking phases. Whilst the comparisons are valid in that they both play WB (rather than FB), which is helpful whilst comparing them, how they are used in their teams is different with Doherty regularly coming off his wing to run in behind defences, whereas we opt to have Aurier stay out wide, because of this their stats will no doubt be skewed somewhat.

If we keep Aurier then our business is great. If we sell Aurier and don't by another RB/WB then I don't think our business is all that astute given Doherty's age and Tanganaga, Foyth, Toby, Sanchez, Sissoko, Gedson aren't very good options to provide cover/competition (we could go 3ATB and push Davies/Sess up as WB on the left I suppose.) But Jose has been trying out Gedson as RB in our preseason friendlies so I have major concerns that if we sell Aurier we are in exactly in the same position as we have been with Aurier, stuck with a RWB who's OK but not top draw.
As I said, Doherty wanted to come to Spurs - something you didn´t mention in your answer. That´s why, just like in Hojbjerg´s case, we were able to get a very good deal - not because Wolves wanted to get rid of him, as you said.

Now, replacing Aurier with Doherty means improvement in the first team - but of course, it´s not a solution to our depth issues. We ended the season with Tanganga, Cirkin and Gedson as FB´s options. In my opinion, we need more - we could keep Aurier as a backup RB, or we could sell him and use the money to get a proper squad option.

Just of the top of my head

The clearance for lacazettes goal
The Newcastle goal ( away )
Giving the pen v Liverpool
Getting sent of in 30 mins v Southampton - home
I could also list twice as many for Toby last season and the season before. They are defenders and mistakes stand a chance of getting punished.

Now take a look our Doherty's defensive numbers compared to Aurier's, as I say he no upgrade that's absolutely 100%.
Serge_Aurier_vs_Matt_Doherty.png

Sorry but Bertrand dived to get him sent off, literally nothing any player could do about that.

sorry mate, but what planet is Aurier better defensively? Have you been in hibernation the last 4 years watching him? The guy is the most erratic footballer on the planet. Every time the opposition get into the box, spurs fans have heart attacks in anticipation that Aurier is going to commit a foul in the penalty box. Not to mention the incredibly frustrating amount of times Aurier gets in great positions, yet fails to deliver crosses to our own players 90% of the time. Just look at Auriers stats of 13% of accuracy rate from 160 crosses last season, utterly abysmal. Doherty isn’t Cafu, I think we all know this, but he is 100% a better player and a big upgrade on Aurier.

sorry mate, but what planet is Aurier better defensively? Have you been in hibernation the last 4 years watching him? The guy is the most erratic footballer on the planet. Every time the opposition get into the box, spurs fans have heart attacks in anticipation that Aurier is going to commit a foul in the penalty box. Not to mention the incredibly frustrating amount of times Aurier gets in great positions, yet fails to deliver crosses to our own players 90% of the time. Just look at Auriers stats of 13% of accuracy rate from 160 crosses last season, utterly abysmal. Doherty isn’t Cafu, I think we all know this, but he is 100% a better player and a big upgrade on Aurier.

Now take a look our Doherty's defensive numbers compared to Aurier's, as I say he no upgrade that's absolutely 100%.
I think you need to log for a few weeks, pal - your anti- Mourinho agenda has clearly driven you mad if you think Aurier is better defensively

Back
Top Bottom