Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Talking of penalties - Doherty missed the crucial pen to see his country knocked out of the European Championships.

I'm starting to have some doubts over this guy qualities.
We know what his qualities are. Good in the air, nose for goal, makes unique runs infield, follows his pass and draws players with him to create space for other players, makes some smart interceptions. Not good at defending 1v1, iffy at clearing hip-height balls with feet, sometimes lax in defensive effort.

Give the lad a break. Aurier has been playing some really good football so there’s competition for places. Think he will come good. I’ve seen enough of him to know that he’s a pretty decent player and then we have two decent RBs potentially. Regarding the penos, they were the softest penos ever so pretty harsh on him if that’s your only takeaway. I wish he had got that goal against Newcastle. Would have done him a world of good and of course the team too!

Well, I'm not really thinking he is shite and/or needs to be dropped. Actually I made that comment more to see the reactions than cause I have any problem with the lad. As Doc Doc pointed, and I pretty much agree, he has his weakness and his qualities.

But we can't deny he had some bad games this season, more then Hojberg, that a lot of people were slating after 1 or 2 games, or even Aurier, that despite had 2 very good games is treated like shite for some fans in here.

Said that, I think he can offer a lot to the team (as we saw already in the attack) and him and Aurier are pretty good oprions for the RB positions, every one with his pros and cons.

Give the lad a break. Aurier has been playing some really good football so there’s competition for places. Think he will come good. I’ve seen enough of him to know that he’s a pretty decent player and then we have two decent RBs potentially. Regarding the penos, they were the softest penos ever so pretty harsh on him if that’s your only takeaway. I wish he had got that goal against Newcastle. Would have done him a world of good and of course the team too!

As far as I'm concerned, the starting job is Aurier's. Doherty needs to earn it. He hasn't shown that he deserves to start as of yet.

1 wasnt right. The other one he had his arm really extended forward. People used to whine about penalty given by Aurier, which were very harsh and also not right. But somehow when Doherty does it , its different. Strange that.

Yeah, the answer is black and white :)

Lo Celso got a free pass for being constantly injured as was hailed the answer to our midfield. Whereas Ndombele is lazy, fat, unmotivated, can't run etc etc etc

Yeah, the answer is black and white :)

Lo Celso got a free pass for being constantly injured as was hailed the answer to our midfield. Whereas Ndombele is lazy, fat, unmotivated, can't run etc etc etc

You're forgetting Dele too.

There are always negative stereotypes associated with black athletes - doesn't matter the sport. It is what it is but it's starting to change.

Made that comment more for the reactions , rather than actually having a formulated opinion of our player. Weird, weird .. very weird. So we don’t have to engage with you as you don’t have anything to discuss. Deal.

True - he has given away 2 penalties already. In his first 5 games
I wouldn't exactly describe a stupid rule where "ball bouncing onto hand means penalty" as giving one away. More as "stupid rule penalising people for natural movements that effect balance". I assumed you've played football...across every level of the game peoples hands naturally move into what the rules now deem unnatural positions

I wouldn't exactly describe a stupid rule where "ball bouncing onto hand means penalty" as giving one away. More as "stupid rule penalising people for natural movements that effect balance". I assumed you've played football...across every level of the game peoples hands naturally move into what the rules now deem unnatural positions

Of course.

I'm only joking. Just enjoy seeing how quick people come to the defence of Doherty when Aurier would just regularly get abuse.

COYS

Back
Top Bottom