Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cannot think that he is the permanent answer.
Was surprised when he was the choice from the suspects in the press.
However loads of experts said he was genius so let's see....?...

We've lost one game in the league all season - Aurier didn't play a part in it mate....

It was tongue in cheek. I can understand slagging off players who cost us a match but Doherty didn't cost us the match today. We won.

I guess I just don't understand people who go looking for a reason to be upset when there really isn't a need to be. Especially with a ref as bent as that one.

COYS.

It was tongue in cheek. I can understand slagging off players who cost us a match but Doherty didn't cost us the match today. We won.

I guess I just don't understand people who go looking for a reason to be upset when there really isn't a need to be. Especially with a ref as bent as that one.

COYS.
If a player isn’t performing then why not call it like it is? Don’t think anyone has gone over board and asked for him to be sold in January but let’s be real here, he has been sub par and aurier has been performing at a higher level.

On a side note I think aurier and reggie on the same field also gives our attack better symmetry. Doherty is too slow to create space on the break.

I’m not writing him off but he is behind aurier for me definitely.

If a player isn’t performing then why not call it like it is? Don’t think anyone has gone over board and asked for him to be sold in January but let’s be real here, he has been sub par and aurier has been performing at a higher level.

On a side note I think aurier and reggie on the same field also gives our attack better symmetry. Doherty is too slow to create space on the break.

In fairness aurier was poor against a shit antwerp team. Although i thought doherty had given away a peno

I think despite the encouragement of signing a prem proven player it seems we may be in danger of under-estimating the transition from WB to FB (perhaps Jose was when signing him too).... He's played (guessing) 5/6 games so far it might just take a little more time than anticipated to see his strengths come to the fore.

He is defensively solid, with aurier he can always have brainfart here and there
Mate where’s this coming from? He gave away 2 free kicks tonight and could have given away a pen on another day if VAR looked properly. He gets ghosted past whenever he is dribbled at, he has no recovery pace at all either.

It’s not about shitting on him, I hope and think he will come good eventually even if it’s just as a squad player. But I can’t see where this “solid defensively” narrative comes from, and this ain’t an attack on you I’ve seen a lot of people saying it.

When you go for the cheap and experienced option, sometimes you get Hojbjerg, sometimes you get Doherty. It is what it is, he’s adequate.

Because the co-commentator on BBC Radio 5-live (which I listened to) made the remark several times that he upped his defensive game in the second half after a poor defensive performance in the first 45 mins? Seemed quite keen to point out he got better later on. Personally, I would trust the views of an experienced commentator than cadging off comments on a fan forum, in which many people a) don't see the game themselves and b) turn out to be wrong in their judgments anyway. Naturally I would rather be at the game...

I'm sure you see the irony in the second half of this post.....

The connotations of "I thought....." is definitely lost on you though.

It'll take him some time to settle and get used to a back four I guess, but I can't help but feeling he's a downgrade from KWP (who is also younger and homegrown)

Back
Top Bottom