Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It'll take him some time to settle and get used to a back four I guess, but I can't help but feeling he's a downgrade from KWP (who is also younger and homegrown)

KWP is proving inconsistent so far at Saints.... Particularly in the defensive end of things.

I'm sure you see the irony in the second half of this post.....

The connotations of "I thought....." is definitely lost on you though.

I find commentaries can be useful actually, you can get the jist of whether a team is playing well, certainly, and maybe an individual player if the commentators focus on them. Both commentators rinsed MD for his first-half display and then praised him for making a few useful blocks and better positioning in the second half. That does tell me something. Would I rather be at a match watching in person? Yes, that would tell me more. But it's more useful to hear thoughts of experienced observers watching the game then readings posts like "he's shit, sell him" (not true of your own posts, I must say) after a handful of games.

Aurier is the better player imo...
Woww... is the memory limited to past 24 hours really??

Calling Aurier (who, may I remind you, gave away absolutely outrageous free-kick against Wet Spam that helped them to draw and was super-average against Belgium league 4th place team Antwerp) better player in this context...

Well, can't wait similar post in Aurier thread after EL game where he plays and Doherty sits :thumbup:

I find commentaries can be useful actually, you can get the jist of whether a team is playing well, certainly, and maybe an individual player if the commentators focus on them. Both commentators rinsed MD for his first-half display and then praised him for making a few useful blocks and better positioning in the second half. That does tell me something. Would I rather be at a match watching in person? Yes, that would tell me more. But it's more useful to hear thoughts of experienced observers watching the game then readings posts like "he's shit, sell him" (not true of your own posts, I must say) after a handful of games.

You can see why i originally replied then? ....Great; glad that's sorted then. :mourthumb:

Aurier is better than people are giving him credit for. I'm

Of course, and no harm done. It's a game of opinions, naturally, and I could have phrased my original post better, making it clear I was listening to/reading something rather than guessing entirely :thumbup:

I'm just suspicious of this narrative developing already that MD is a flop. I have actually watched every home league match so far this season bar last night (refused to pay £15 PPV, basically) and from what I've seen he's been underwhelming but he's not quite a dud either.

My view on Aurier has always been more positive than those held by most of those on here anyway. He's really not at all a bad player. Just a little erratic.

Our actual opinions are similar in regard to both players.

We should try him as a wingback in a back 3. He was always at his best operating out of such for Wolves.

I get the logic, but is it really wise to switch systems just let him revert to type rather than persist with his development.....?

Doherty has plenty of good attributes and I thought he was decent enough yday ignoring the penalty he could have given away, but I do worry about him going up against the likes of Sterling and Mane.

From what I've seen he's good there, and Southampton fans really like him

Seen them a bunch this seasons and he's usually a mix of good and bad per 90m.

They seem happy to persevere with him so presumably for Hassenhutle the good is outweighing any bad.

hard one to call, it's not been a great start but the team as a whole has struggled in a few games, we've done well to nick a couple of results.

I'm willing to give him time, if all he does is provides motivation for Aurier than it's not a bad thing. There are so many games this season we're gonna have to scrape through a few. I hope he gets better, not unreasonable to give him a bit of time.

hard one to call, it's not been a great start but the team as a whole has struggled in a few games, we've done well to nick a couple of results.

I'm willing to give him time, if all he does is provides motivation for Aurier than it's not a bad thing. There are so many games this season we're gonna have to scrape through a few. I hope he gets better, not unreasonable to give him a bit of time.

Indeed we are far from the finishes article too.... In the space of the last season.... 1 new manager and 12 incoming players.

I get the logic, but is it really wise to switch systems just let him revert to type rather than persist with his development.....?

It's not only his position.
Currently switching to 5-2-3 would benefit many other players -

- Regulion - with role more focused on bombing up and down we would play to his strengths and we all saw what kind of pace and delivery he has in him!
- Davies - when we switch to 3 at the back we could use Davies as a LCB which might even be his best position
- Rodon - if we decide against playing both of them together, it could create Rodon chance to get some playing time. Always easier to get used to league in 3 CB line
And in terms of team benefit -
- Sissoko- his best position for the team is ... well on the bench. Hjoberg and NDombele/Lo Celso pairing with support of dynamic fullbacks should be much more efficient than Sissoko, taking 10 touches and pointing fingers around. I honestly believe that positive impact we will get from larger role of Doherty/Aurier + Regulion being in more advanced role + additional defensive presence of 3rd CB would far outweigh Sissoko impact in the middle.

And if we need more contribution in midfield area, and Lo Celso becomes fit, we could also use 5-3-2 with Son and Kane combining in forward line...

Also a bit disappointed from what we've seen so far.

He's not an upgrade on Aurier, but at the very least we have two decent options now at RB, and I do think he'll end up an upgrade on KWP.

It's not only his position.
Currently switching to 5-2-3 would benefit many other players -

- Regulion - with role more focused on bombing up and down we would play to his strengths and we all saw what kind of pace and delivery he has in him!
- Davies - when we switch to 3 at the back we could use Davies as a LCB which might even be his best position
- Rodon - if we decide against playing both of them together, it could create Rodon chance to get some playing time. Always easier to get used to league in 3 CB line
And in terms of team benefit -
- Sissoko- his best position for the team is ... well on the bench. Hjoberg and NDombele/Lo Celso pairing with support of dynamic fullbacks should be much more efficient than Sissoko, taking 10 touches and pointing fingers around. I honestly believe that positive impact we will get from larger role of Doherty/Aurier + Regulion being in more advanced role + additional defensive presence of 3rd CB would far outweigh Sissoko impact in the middle.

And if we need more contribution in midfield area, and Lo Celso becomes fit, we could also use 5-3-2 with Son and Kane combining in forward line...

Hasn't loooked good when we've played it under Jose so far....

532 suits a certain line up, but we don't look good playing it.

I actually wouldn't mind us trying it out in the EL just to see how it can benefit Doherty and Reguilon as well as seeing how the likes of GLC and Ndombele adapt.

Keeps Son and Kane central too which allows Kane to drop deeper.

532 suits a certain line up, but we don't look good playing it.

I actually wouldn't mind us trying it out in the EL just to see how it can benefit Doherty and Reguilon as well as seeing how the likes of GLC and Ndombele adapt.

Keeps Son and Kane central too which allows Kane to drop deeper.

As far as the EL goes, the last thing we can afford is to start fielding 3 CBs in each game... At least not til after xmas (also means Reg gets no rest form week to week).

.....I also doubt Jose is 'dreaming' of a GLC/TN 2xMF.

As far as the EL goes, the last thing we can afford is to start fielding 3 CBs in each game... At least not til after xmas.

.....I also doubt Jose is 'dreaming' of a GLC/TN 2xMF.

Maybe when Tanganga is back.

We do have 6 options at CB after all.

Back
Top Bottom