Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought the Young and Mings challenges were much more disgusting and red worthy than Cash’s. The former two should have been reds while Cash should have been booked.

The Mings challenge in particular looked like a leg breaker. Cash at least won the ball first and was just out of control while doing it.
Agree Youngs was bordering red and worse, as calculated.

Mings was bad as well, but clumsy bad rather than malicious, as again I refer to Kane’s challenge, similar to Cashs but misses ball and smashes his own ligaments in the process…

Just saying, we loved that “you gotta first match our fight, to out play us“, as well as did…

Found the whole match here

Yellow. Nasty yellow, but a yellow. Studs weren't aimed at the player, wasn't "out of control" because he meant to sweep his leg.
At our best under Poch, we did that every game. Even under Mourinho we took turns to do it to Traore.
Thanks, someone with an ability to judge our team without utter bias…

Who would have thought Doberty would be the one WB I'd confidently predict for the first IX at this stage of the season with everybody fit. A real shame about his injury. Seems like a very likeable guy aswell.

Perhaps Stevie B should be given a crack at RWB, he's strong, fast and can deliver a decent cross, I'd rather him there than Lucas who would more then likely lose the ball endlessly.

Can he defend? I understand the appeal some people have that we want someone decent with the ball and fast, but it completely ignores the fact that those positions also carry a significant defensive duty as well.

Said it at the time, the EFC guy got a red for very similar v NUFC last month, and rightly so
How did Kane do his ankle, second time?

Revisionism, or selective memory…

Not defending it, wasn’t a red IMO, as it was ball, then man.

Abstract, so not saying your view is wrong, just loved the old tackling game…
So did I but they've changed the rules. You cant implement said rules because the tackle was on mo Salah, it has to be the same for everyone

Who would have believed just 4-5 weeks ago that an injury to Doherty would be so upsetting. 2 goals and 3 assists in 6 games. Villa could easily had 2 red cards and was the dirtiest team Spurs have played this season.

That's what happens when you're untalented. You have to resort to thuggery. Thankfully they got trounced anyway.

The EPL needs to do a post match review and suspend the fuvker for 3 games. They won't, but it's clear. High tackle, full body weight off the ground, flying in, out of control. He knew what he was doing.

Can he defend? I understand the appeal some people have that we want someone decent with the ball and fast, but it completely ignores the fact that those positions also carry a significant defensive duty as well.
He's not a great presser, but he's fairly decent in a tangle of legs kind of situation. Under Mou he seemed pretty positionally aware, tracking back to clear crosses to the back post that Aurier missed.

Defensively, I don't think he's worse than Emerson. The big issue I see with him is that, being a forward, he might lack 90 mins of defensive concentration, and he's a chunky lad who doesn't seem to have the endurance needed for a WB.

With Romero on his side, I'm not as worried about his defensive weaknesses.

The fans really need to get behind Royal for these final games, despite his flaws really need to boost his confidence to help get us over the line.

Yep.... Get off the lad's back FFS!

Fans digging him out isn't gonna magically make him better.

Last edited:
Straight red against Matty Cash for me. It’s an uncontrolled tackle, completely misses the ball and although his cleats misses Doherty leg, Cash leaves his feet and his whole body weight plus his momentum follows through and completely takes out Doherty. Principal point of contact was Doherty knee and now is seriously injured.

I’m all for keeping the physicality in the game, but to me in that instance, Cash should have went shoulder vs shoulder against Doherty, instead went for an uncontrolled tackle, I think it’s a straight red.

Back
Top Bottom