Mattia Destro

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agreed, Ings is my fav young striker right now, has so much talent other than simply scoring goals, like Bony a few years back he is enough under the radar for us to get him if we make a resonable offer, 2-3 years time I am almost certain he will be a top draw striker at which time the Chavs or Citeh will just walk in and take him.

Barahino has great talent but questionable personality, that being said can you blame West Brom for putting such a price tag on him, he is young very has a good scoring record, is a live wire. If Berahino was at Spurs Levy would take £20 million min, probably £30 million for his services.

We are not in a good position to haggel right now, we need a forward end of story, our season depends on having cover for Kane that means we might have to pay over the odds. All very well people saying pick up Ings or that Ukrainian winger on the cheap in the summer but if our season fizzels out because we don't get cover now it will be a very hollow victory.
We aren't getting a striker unless Ade or Soldado leave. We therefore, aren't getting a new striker. In all likelihood, we aren't getting anyone.

Some insiders have laid out why there has been very little activity this year, and when you look at our situation, it fits why we won't be doing anything other than moving out small pieces.

A lot of the biggest clubs who normally would make January moves are right at the limit under FFP (ie Chelsea, City, PSG) and after seeing that UEFA was serious about applying penalties (City and PSG) they're actually cutting back on previous behaviour. Some other clubs lower down the tree are also facing these restrictions, since it's not about dollar amounts, as much as ratios. This means that the normal market churn that gives us the opportunities to offload players is much less. We won't be buying if we can't sell, as the club is run on that basis, and under the very real FFP restrictions, that behaviour is rewarded.

There are few really good players available at sane prices who would actually benefit Spurs immediately. Ings is nice, but not a must have, and while attacking wingers also would be nice, there are reasons no one wants a certain Ukrainian. Agents are still selling stories in the press, and the press are still writing those stories as usual, but the actual activity is not happening because clubs are having to behave in a more serious manner, and there aren't really a lot of genuinely good players on the market who can make a difference, and don't have 30-40 million euro price tags attached.

We might get rid of Lennon, and maybe Paulinho or Capoue (hopefully both). But there isn't likely anyone coming until the summer, and there are very good reasons for that.

What you see is what you're going to get with Spurs for this year, so it's down to the players to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

Why would we buy a player who barely gets games in league where the quality is not good? Serie A is terrible now besides Juventus. I think excluding Juve there are only about ten players in the entire league that would legitimately improve us. Destro is definitely not one of them. If we buy Destro it is just proof that our director of football is too lazy to actually scout and is just buying players from his previous club. Diabolical. Kaboul and Capoue have gotten more league minutes for us than Destro has for Roma.

Yago Falque has scored 4 in 5 games this year and Gervinho may have been Roma's best player last season. Long gone are the days of Serie A being a prestigious European league.
What a ridiculously ignorant and myopic comment. Wow.

What a ridiculously ignorant and myopic comment. Wow.

I've been keeping my eye on Destro since we were linked to him heavily and I honestly see nothing there as a player besides an exotic name. Roma doesn't play him and now he's leaving on loan and he wasn't picked for the Italian national team that went out in the group stage. The guy averages 7 passes per game. That's so bad.

As a player he just trundles around up top looking for tap ins adding nothing else. He's not athletic, has the body type of Grant Holt and to be honest he's borderline overweight.

That's before getting into how poor a league is and how even before the league went to shit that players coming from the Italian league have a very low success rate in England.

He may have been a big prospect at one time but the fact is Roma is loaning him out to the 11th placed team in the league. He doesn't exactly look like a player who is set to thrive in the Prem. He looks like Soldado without the buildup play and Soldado has been totally overmatched in a faster more physical league. Plus they supposedly want £20m for this guy, come on.

I've been keeping my eye on Destro since we were linked to him heavily and I honestly see nothing there as a player besides an exotic name. Roma doesn't play him and now he's leaving on loan and he wasn't picked for the Italian national team that went out in the group stage. The guy averages 7 passes per game. That's so bad.

As a player he just trundles around up top looking for tap ins adding nothing else. He's not athletic, has the body type of Grant Holt and to be honest he's borderline overweight.

That's before getting into how poor a league is and how even before the league went to shit that players coming from the Italian league have a very low success rate in England.

He may have been a big prospect at one time but the fact is Roma is loaning him out to the 11th placed team in the league. He doesn't exactly look like a player who is set to thrive in the Prem. He looks like Soldado without the buildup play and Soldado has been totally overmatched in a faster more physical league. Plus they supposedly want £20m for this guy, come on.
I have no idea what games you've been watching but the player you've described above is certainly not him

Passes is a irrelevant statistic for poachers anyway - but just to entertain your numbers fetish (compared to player many on here wrote off less than 12 months ago)

- Destro has 5 goals in 815 mins of play - 1 every 163 mins (second highest of the entire AS Roma team)
- Kane for example has 1 every 146 mins

Also has a higher pass completion than Kane for example. But all that means nothing really - he's young and improving every month. Plenty of plonkers on here wrote off Kane last season already - look how the tables have turned. He's a quality player who will unlikely spend his entire career in Italy

As for his supposed loan - El Shaarawy is out for a few months so they need a quality short-term replacement pronto - not to mention the experience / salary. No brainer move for him - but I don't think it would happen anyway

Back
Top Bottom