Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you remember how Poch abruptly ended the last Ajax post conference and exited when he was asked by a reporter if Kane is playing in the CL final?

I think it was a joke but I heard some people say it was because Poch had to rush out to Kane to ask him the very same question.
I don't think it was so funny. It was a joke right?

Food for thought. Has there been another club in the PL building a stadium? Now think of the difference between us and all those clubs not building a stadium. Think of the resources, just isolate one job, one resource. Let's say Levy. How many hours do you think Levy dedicates to the Stadium each day over the last 5yrs? With the stadium built do you think he still dedicates those hours to the stadium?

Now multiply that resource across the entire workforce at the Club. There are a lot of resources that have been taken away from running/supporting a football club, which now can be refocused back to running/supporting a football club. Another word for these hours or resources is tools. There will be more tools to work with now the stadium has been built. Everyone pulling in the same direction.

Every member of staff at a football club is there to make it function better, be that a receptionist or an analyst or a groundsman or a member of the marketing team. Crystal Palace's staff turn up in the morning and focus on their role that aims to make the club better.

With the stadium built our staff can now embrace their roles without the distraction of the stadium eating into their role.

Tools. The same tools enjoyed by all the football clubs in the PL apart from us the last few years.
Haha - are you implying THFC and Levy were helping lay bricks and concrete? Or Mace using our 'tools' to built it?

Deary me

Haha - are you implying THFC and Levy were helping lay bricks and concrete? Or Mace using our 'tools' to built it?

Deary me
Didn't you hear the interview with the architect saying that Levy would be ringing him all hours about the stadium...thought you were in that building game, or is it just lego?

I'm not picking sides, I'm not going to pretend to know the inner workings of the club, and why, exactly, we didn't sign anyone the last two windows.

But for me, the quote above where I've added emphasis is the long and short of it. I don't think Poch was able to find the right player(s) for the right price(s) and instead chose to do nothing.

I don't think that will be the case this summer. We'll have to check back at the end of August, but I think this crazy bold strategy worked out for the club. We enter the break with some clear needs, we guaranteed CL next year, and are showing potential transfers that we are capable of challenging for the biggest club trophy in the game. We also have the additional CL funds from this season, as well as the funds rolled over from previous windows.

I would hope for 3/4 signings with 1-2 of them being players who will regularly be in the starting 11 next season.

And I really hope we're able to keep Toby & Eriksen.

Even the mighty Liverpool are having a quiet summer. Word from the club is that any player that would go into the starting 11 would cost an astronomical amount of money.

Therefore they will keep their money until an opportunity presents itself. ie VDV or Moura.

I largely agree with you.

All along he is willing to sign a player. But all along he is looking to improve the team. This is achieved largely two ways, improve the players you already have and buy players that will improve the team. No one has any visibility on the funds available to Poch to spend (from that pot a chunk of it has gone and will continue to go on improved wages on players he wants to keep and who want to be here) the remainder will go on new players. I do not know how this translates, whether we are shopping for another Dele/Dier (£5m) or a Sanchez (£40m) or if we are looking in the pond above and frankly I don't care. One thing is crystal clear and that Poch will sign a player if they "improve" the team. Dele/Dier improved us, Sanchez improved us and had we been successful in signing de Jong he would have improved us.

But in football the player, you covert (de Jong) might prefer going to a bigger and better club than us. If this means you then sign no one then so be it. What makes me laugh is there are people upset with this because they would prefer we just sign anyone for the sake of it. They moan at Levy for not signing a player when it's been Levy all along that will sign a player. In fact, as Poch writes in his book he has had to persuade Levy NOT to sign anyone, he's managing Levy.

And when we signed Sissoko people said that it was a sort of signing for the sake of it (one poster still does) but look how that has worked out?
Took time yes but the same will probably happen with Foyth as has happened with Lucas another one that a lot didn’t fancy when he arrived

I think Poch knows what he’s doing and isn’t finished with us just yet

Deary me
its not a huge leap to suggest a direct correlation between Levy's preoccupation with the stadium and our inability to get moving on deals, given his level of involvement in our transfer dealings.

Didn't you hear the interview with the architect saying that Levy would be ringing him all hours about the stadium...thought you were in that building game, or is it just lego?
Calling him everyday is different to what that ENIC bot implies of Levy spending hours all day on site and not having time to do transfers and run the club. That's preposterous

Calling him everyday is different to what that ENIC bot implies of Levy spending hours all day on site and not having time to do transfers and run the club. That's preposterous
He didn't say that though, he said that a lot of attention was being spent on the stadium, something other clubs didn't have to contend with, and now neither do we...

Juve job has Mourinho all over it. Easy title, big money and a chance to win the UCL.
Mourinho would never go to Juventus. He's Inter through and through... I'm kind of worried about Poch but I think that Juve will most likely go after someone like Deschamps or Simone Inzaghi. Deschamps got them through Serie B and I think he deserves a shot at being their coach now...

Back
Top Bottom