Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's more worrying that you lot have turned overnight against him after we trashed Palace last weekend and he was back to being magic. We fucked up a 2-0 lead ok, we dropped 2 points ok, but people must understand that results like these happen. It's not like we're out of the Champions League or something. Player selection? Also understandable - Aurier was rested and KWP was probably not match fit otherwise he would have started so what we've got? A makeshift RB.
I can also understand why he starts Eriksen - we don't have a replacement for him at the moment. Without his creativity we're fucking dead. Dele is not up to it, Lamela is not that good, Lo Celso is out injured. Plus Eriksen was also pretty good against Palace so of course he should have started.

Press conference? He said that we lacked aggression, intensity and concentration which I agree but it's not the first time he said that either. He said the players didn't respect the tactical plan which probably has the same meaning of that we lacked aggression and intensity. Big fucking deal.

Last edited:
It's more worrying that you lot have turned overnight against him after we trashed Palace last weekend and he was back to being magic. We fucked up a 2-0 lead ok, we dropped 2 points ok, but people must understand that results like these happen. It's not like we're out of the Champions League or something. Player selection? Also understandable - Aurier was rested and KWP was probably not match fit otherwise he would have started so what we've got? A makeshift RB.
I can also understand why he starts Eriksen - we don't have a replacement for him at the moment. Without his creativity we're fucking dead. Dele is not up to it, Lamela is not that good, Lo Celso is out injured. Plus Eriksen was also pretty good against Palace so of course he should have started.

Press conference? He said that we lacked aggression, intensity and concentration which I agree but it's not the first time he said that either. He said the players didn't respect the tactical plan which probably has the same meaning of that we lacked aggression and intensity. Big fucking deal.

1. Anyone who understands football would have known that the way we played on Saturday was down to Palace sitting back and being afraid of us rather than anything special we did. If I was a manager coming up against this Spurs side I would be telling my players to press hard, especially our back line. Interesting to note the only team who didn't pressure our defence was the only team not to score against us.

2. We currently play like a lower league team up against the big boys in the FA cup. We now defend very deep and generally going backwards. Also this sliding defence is killing us.

3. If Poch said the players didn't respect the tactical plan, that means more than lacking intensity. It means Poch set out a way to play and the squad didn't play that way, which is very much troubling if he is being ignored by the players and if the players have no faith in the manager's plans.

Not sure it's been written unless I already wrote it but I think Pochettino is hurt by Eriksen and Alderweield's lack of willingness to sign new contracts.

He knows they are being offered good salaries.

The same with the performances of some players. He will be hurt by them and maybe (or am I being too generous?) that"s why he seems spoconstantly unsettled. It's an indirect or maybe direct affront to Pochettino himself.

There has to be a reason for his seeming irritability.

Not sure it's been written unless I already wrote it but I think Pochettino is hurt by Eriksen and Alderweield's lack of willingness to sign new contracts.

The same with the performances of some players. He will be hurt by them and maybe (or am I being too generous?) that"s why he seems sp constantly unsettled.

There has to be a reason.

Doesn’t stop him playing them

The same with the performances of some players. He will be hurt by them and maybe (or am I being too generous?) that"s why he seems sp constantly unsettled.

There has to be a reason.

If true he needs to suck it up and accept that he sells and buys players he doesn't want and players that want something different can leave as well.

It's not a game built on loyalty, it's a game built on winning and if Poch is taking offence to a lack of loyalty in a game where he was pretty sharpish in leaving Southampton for us for whatever reasons then he needs to take a long hard look at himself.

They signed a contract, both contracts are ending soon they are well within their rights. I think Pochettino's frustration is that he's feeling the heat after a few of his bigger value signings haven't done as well as he had hoped.

Aurier, Foyth, Sanchez, Sissoko, Ndombele, Llorente, the N'boys that's a solid £170m-£180m worth of players right there. With Lo Celso not turning up match fit and Sessegnon having his issues as well we are pretty much left with the same squad we had minus a huffing and puffing Tanguy.

Personally I think Pochettino is a little too obsessed with players for the here and now. He needs to scout the kids who have potential before they move to the likes of Juve or PSG. I want to see us signing 2-3 first team players every summer and 3-4 16-17 year olds for the academy.

Next on the agenda is a CB, RB and possibly a CM. Upamecano, Atal & Aouar will do nicely but as time goes on he needs to get shit hot young players breaking through as we won't be able to afford £50m players all the time it's not financially practical to expect it of us.

The same with the performances of some players. He will be hurt by them and maybe (or am I being too generous?) that"s why he seems spoconstantly unsettled. It's an indirect or maybe direct affront to Pochettino himself.

There has to be a reason for his seeming irritability.

But was there any real effort to replace then or offload them in the summer?

I think Poch hoped if he got through the summer with no bids for Toby or Christian then they would go "Ok, no one wants us, we'll sign new contracts".

Is Poch too trusting or has he been absolutely played?

I think Poch hoped if he got through the summer with no bids for Toby or Christian then they would go "Ok, no one wants us, we'll sign new contracts".

Bit of both I think. He gives his trusted players absolute loyalty and expects the same in return. When it works we end up with a player-manager relationship like the one with Hugo. When it doesn't.............

Poch needs to back up his demand for loyalty and be more ruthless with those that don't show it. There's is currently no consequence for Toby and Eriksen not committing. I'm not saying exile them. But they should not be as nailed down as they are.

Last edited:
Bit of both I think. He gives his trusted players absolute loyalty and expects the same in return. When it works we end up with a player-manage relationship like the one with Hugo. When it doesn't.............

Poch needs to back up his demand for loyalty and be more ruthless with those that don't show it. There's is currently no consequence for Toby and Eriksen not committing. I'm not saying exile them. But they should not be as nailed down as they are.
Toby, he has leverage over. If Toby finds himself in the same position as two years ago with a major International final coming up, expect wailing and gnashing of teeth again. If Toby, and I've said repeatedly, I can't figure out the big change in Toby's game since returning from injury, is a problem, Poch can drop him and making him risk his future.

Eriksen on the other hand looks like the sky has fallen on top of him. And I'd be surprised if we're not hearing stories from him camp about stress and pressures soon.

1. Anyone who understands football would have known that the way we played on Saturday was down to Palace sitting back and being afraid of us rather than anything special we did. If I was a manager coming up against this Spurs side I would be telling my players to press hard, especially our back line. Interesting to note the only team who didn't pressure our defence was the only team not to score against us.

2. We currently play like a lower league team up against the big boys in the FA cup. We now defend very deep and generally going backwards. Also this sliding defence is killing us.

3. If Poch said the players didn't respect the tactical plan, that means more than lacking intensity. It means Poch set out a way to play and the squad didn't play that way, which is very much troubling if he is being ignored by the players and if the players have no faith in the manager's plans.

1. You don't watch football then.

The players had completely different energy levels. They were on it from the start. Harrassing every second. That was not the way we played in Greece.

1. You don't watch football then.

The players had completely different energy levels. They were on it from the start. Harrassing every second. That was not the way we played in Greece.
Who put our defence under pressure at any stage. First goal Toby could have done a Domino's delivery and still had time to make that pass.

We played better because Palace let us play, higher energy and all that maybe, but Palace let us play as we wanted. Any team can look superb when that happens.

Thats exactly what Harry is saying in a nice way
I can see why you say this, but I sure didn't read his comments that way. Not only do I think that Harry would never so blatantly go against Poch in a public way, his comments have almost always been directed internally at the squad.

Poch makes mistakes but the players are where the rubber hits the road. They don't perform, they make stupid mistakes and these are the results we get.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but this was not an unlucky freak game, these results have been happening for 10 months now.

1. Also somebody said that if he was a manager coming up against this Spurs side he would tell all his 10 players to defend deep as we struggle against packed defenses. Now you say it's not like that, but press us into oblivion will guarantee a successful tactic against us. Guess what, 95% of the teams can't deal with a well organized press. Not even Man City, not even Barcelona. Olympiakos pressed us well and in the right areas and it was difficult to bypass it. Normally we should and could have done better but it's not the end of the world.

2. Against sides better than us we defended deep this season, yes. Although I wouldn't say Woolwich are better than us, they were definitely more up for it. You know, we were still in the last days of the transfer window if I recall correctly and Poch himself said it was difficult to manage an unsettled squad.

3. Maybe, it could also mean what I said. But if ALL the players didn't respect the manager's plan, I would say there would be more whispers coming from the club regarding a delicate situation. So far I didn't hear anything that suggests it. Also think about it, why would players like Winks, NDombele, Davies or Kane not respect Pochettino when he's one of the reasons why they are playing at a top club?

The one thing that worries me is this unwavering belief Poch has in Kane, Alli and now it would appear Eriksen too. He is so reluctant to substitute Harry it defies all logic at times. As I said on another thread I just wish Dele was as good as he thinks he is and with Christian now not only failing to create chances but losing possession (22 times last night) he has become a liability.

Maybe Poch's relationship with the players has become too friendly and he has lost that management/staff respect. Whatever the problem is, this current trait of saying far too much to the media is not helping matters.

I genuinely think he will feel let down and quite possibly questioned.

It's Rose, Eriksen, Alderweireld. 3 key players over the years. You can say money but this could be construed differently by Pochettino.

But then the alternative to playing the 3 is probably lesser outcomes on the pitch so no or little choice.

The one thing that worries me is this unwavering belief Poch has in Kane, Alli and now it would appear Eriksen too.
This has worried me for years....got slagged off by most on here for suggesting they be dropped and was told in no uncertain terms that all three should “never ever be benched”.....

I’m not sure so many people still think that.
Oh well, they caught up in the end after two years....sooner or later they all do

Then they don’t like being “told so”
Funny that..

:pochunimpressed:

Last night's lethargy was nowt to do with Poch.

The selection was fine, that tactics were fine. It was just pure lethargy from the players.

Sometimes you gotta put it on them.

And after a year of lethargy (that last year you called fatigue due to the World Cup) how is it not on the manager?

We have the most grueling training regime in football and every week the players come out looking fucked. Who’s fault is that exactly?

Back
Top Bottom