Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like a Spurs forum or a Spurs face book page for supportive fans .... who would have thought of that? Why not start your own "we all hate everything Spurs forum" after all that's all you and the other 'adults' ever post ....
A forum is a place for discussion and your definition of "supportive fans" is opinion based, just because someone criticises certain aspects of the management and player performances doesn't mean they aren't "supportive" that's the fallacy in your argument, you believe that by never criticising and blindly supporting everything it somehow makes you a better supporter, a more positive influence on the club.

Let me ask you a question, when people wanted Tim Sherwood to stay at the club (and trust me, some did) and others were arguing against them calling them "negative" for wanting a change because they could see things weren't right, was that really negative? Or was it an opinion?

Same with AVB, people would talk about point totals and how great he was and anybody who dared criticise him would be met with "You're a fucking melter, why don't you just support your club"?

Now you accuse me of "hating everything spurs" and yet I have spent months defending Poch and I love the bloke, I also spent months defending Eriksen, nobody was complaining then and yet now, because I have serious concerns after assessing the situation, you suddenly think I hate everything spurs? Because I have criticised our transfer policy I hate everything spurs?

You seem to grasp on to anything you consider "negative" that people post and you never ever comment on the positive things people say, why do you think that is?

For someone who claims others seek out negativity you seem to make a name for yourself on here for doing exactly that, or at least what you perceive to be "negative."

Have you ever considered, just for a second, that actually, sometimes being blindly optimistic about things is just as harmful as being completely negative all the time? I mean have you ever considered, for one second, that actually maybe a healthy way to view things is to consider all perspectives? Rather than just seeking out views you dislike and insulting others for having them, have you considered putting aside your own personal bias and listening?

I don't even know why I bother engaging with you because you're disingenous and I know this will fall on deaf ears, you try to paint posters out as being negative all the time when actually most people here on both sides of the discussion have a healthy balance of views.

I have tried engaging in mature discussion with you, despite your childish rants about wanting me to die and other insults but you just can't seem to pull your head out of your arse for 5 mins to understand that people having an opinion different to you does not mean you are a better supporter and that you are right and they are wrong.

Do you have a fundamental issue understanding that? I don't know how you fail to comprehend how a discussion forum works but you clearly do.

For the record, I don't know how to feel about Poch right now, some days I think we should move on and other days I think we should stick with him and let him right the ship but underneath all that opinion is one thing that drives it, my love for this CLUB, which supersedes any manager, player or chairman that could ever be here.

Now, I am not saying I am right or wrong with what I think is best for us but I am saying, that's what drives my opinions, my love for the club, so you can call me and every other poster you disagree with negative or shit supporters until the end of time but it doesn't make it true and it doesn't make you a better supporter than them, that my friend, IS a fact.

A forum is a place for discussion and your definition of "supportive fans" is opinion based, just because someone criticises certain aspects of the management and player performances doesn't mean they aren't "supportive" that's the fallacy in your argument, you believe that by never criticising and blindly supporting everything it somehow makes you a better supporter, a more positive influence on the club.

Let me ask you a question, when people wanted Tim Sherwood to stay at the club (and trust me, some did) and others were arguing against them calling them "negative" for wanting a change because they could see things weren't right, was that really negative? Or was it an opinion?

Same with AVB, people would talk about point totals and how great he was and anybody who dared criticise him would be met with "You're a fucking melter, why don't you just support your club"?

Now you accuse me of "hating everything spurs" and yet I have spent months defending Poch and I love the bloke, I also spent months defending Eriksen, nobody was complaining then and yet now, because I have serious concerns after assessing the situation, you suddenly think I hate everything spurs? Because I have criticised our transfer policy I hate everything spurs?

You seem to grasp on to anything you consider "negative" that people post and you never ever comment on the positive things people say, why do you think that is?

For someone who claims others seek out negativity you seem to make a name for yourself on here for doing exactly that, or at least what you perceive to be "negative."

Have you ever considered, just for a second, that actually, sometimes being blindly optimistic about things is just as harmful as being completely negative all the time? I mean have you ever considered, for one second, that actually maybe a healthy way to view things is to consider all perspectives? Rather than just seeking out views you dislike and insulting others for having them, have you considered putting aside your own personal bias and listening?

I don't even know why I bother engaging with you because you're disingenous and I know this will fall on deaf ears, you try to paint posters out as being negative all the time when actually most people here on both sides of the discussion have a healthy balance of views.

I have tried engaging in mature discussion with you, despite your childish rants about wanting me to die and other insults but you just can't seem to pull your head out of your arse for 5 mins to understand that people having an opinion different to you does not mean you are a better supporter and that you are right and they are wrong.

Do you have a fundamental issue understanding that? I don't know how you fail to comprehend how a discussion forum works but you clearly do.

For the record, I don't know how to feel about Poch right now, some days I think we should move on and other days I think we should stick with him and let him right the ship but underneath all that opinion is one thing that drives it, my love for this CLUB, which supersedes any manager, player or chairman that could ever be here.

Now, I am not saying I am right or wrong with what I think is best for us but I am saying, that's what drives my opinions, my love for the club, so you can call me and every other poster you disagree with negative or shit supporters until the end of time but it doesn't make it true and it doesn't make you a better supporter than them, that my friend, IS a fact.
My opinion is that negativity serves no purpose ... you disagree and that's your privilege

Admin Admin

This thread plus.....

Poch Out ?
For all of you, Poch needs time
Poch appreciation thread

And I must admit mine too entitled Dear Mr. Pochettino (my apologies)

Can we not somehow consolidate into just this one....going dizzy dashing between them all :confused:

So it’s your fault??

:nawty:

Since when in life has whining like a little girl ever made anything better? after about the age of ten you grow up and realise that being positive is far more effective that being negative, at least most people do ...

We have a better stadium, better finance, better squad, more experienced backroom staff than we've probably ever had in our entire history ... sure we've had a few shit results ... but at least try to see the bigger picture. I've been around since the 60's and can say 100% that as a club we've never been as competitive with the big teams as we are today ... six games in and you're all doom and gloom, what will that achieve?

Yeah? It's funny because extensive research with psychology says otherwise, being positive at the cost of critical thinking actually has a negative impact on a human being in the same way negativity does.

Positive attitude is good, no doubt about that and having a positive outlook is always good but when you engage in delusional optimism/negativity where you are incapable of engaging with different perspectives through fear of thinking "negativity" or "positively" that's the sort of thing that drives cult behaviour, so no, I would say a healthy person grows up to know that engaging in critical thinking and considering all perspectives is actually a healthier way to be but approaching life with a positive attitude is a good thing.

To your next point, I do see the bigger picture and if you actually read ALL my posts rather than nitpitcking to suit your narrative of "everyone is negative" you would see I have praised our infrastructure, praised Levy as a businessman and know that this is the best time in at least my lifetime to be a spurs supporter.

You do know that a person can know ALL of that and still want better for the club, right? That it doesn't make a person a shit supporter for acknowledging that we are in a good place but still want improvement and to not slide backwards or stagnate because of complacency?

It's also not "6 games in" that's not the issue, this is why I talk about you being disingenuous, you ignore that our form has been awful since January,. this isn't some new thing that suddenly started happening at the start of this season., CL run aside, we have been terrible, managers have been sacked for less but I think Poch has earned the right to turn it around however, it has to start soon or imo, he needs to go imo.

Some people seem to think that because it's better than it ever has been before that we should just accept everything, even if it means us going backwards because they love the manager or love the players or love the chairman, I don't believe that, my view is always what I consider to be best for the club, that doesn't mean my view is right but that's the foundation of my opinions, not negativity.

You will see, if you bother to look, that during the Palace game I was incredibly impressed and thought we had turned a corner, but alas, we reverted back to the ponderous football we have been seeing since January after.

That's mine and many others concerns.

You disagreeing with them doesn't make them negative, or you a better supporter, it also doesn't make their opinions "doom and gloom" that's your perspective, not fact.

Last edited:
My opinion is that negativity serves no purpose ... you disagree and that's your privilege

My opinion is that your need to widen your perspective and stop thinking everything you disagree with is "negativity."

I actually do disagree with you on negativity serving no purpose as well, negativity, just like positivity, is important to observe when thinking about a subject and coming to an overall opinion critically.

It serves a purpose in the same way being sad serves a purpose, you don't have to be happy 100% of the time to be a healthy human being, sometimes being sad is a good thing, thinking otherwise is harmful.

"Negativity" just like "positivity" can lead to productive outcomes, using Tim Sherwood as an example, the negativity towards him from fans and supporters led to him losing his job and then we hired Poch and have benefited from that by having the best spurs team in my lifetime, what makes you think that we couldn't get better than Poch?

I mean, we might get worse and regret losing him but we also might get better, nobody knows but what I do know is this, criticising us for our from since January is not negativity, it's honesty at this point.

My opinion is that your need to widen your perspective and stop thinking everything you disagree with is "negativity."

I actually do disagree with you on negativity serving no purpose as well, negativity, just like positivity, is important to observe when thinking about a subject and coming to an overall opinion critically.

It serves a purpose in the same way being sad serves a purpose, you don't have to be happy 100% of the time to be a healthy human being, sometimes being sad is a good thing, thinking otherwise is harmful.

"Negativity" just like "positivity" can lead to productive outcomes, using Tim Sherwood as an example, the negativity towards him from fans and supporters led to him losing his job and then we hired Poch and have benefited from that by having the best spurs team in my lifetime, what makes you think that we couldn't get better than Poch?

I mean, we might get worse and regret losing him but we also might get better, nobody knows but what I do know is this, criticising us for our from since January is not negativity, it's honesty at this point.

You must read some interesting stuff ... negativity is good? well despite what Tori Rodriguez had to say the vast majority of psychotherapists would not agree ...

Negativity serves little purpose ... constructive comment does

Poch is a cunt for playing the diamond, he's learn't nothing and he can't get the best out of players, maybe he's a dead end.

or

Poch should use the diamond formation less, he can clearly see that the players are still adapting and that this formation has reduced our ability to press, to get the best out of the players whilst the new boys acclimatise he either needs for them to understand their roles in the diamond better, or to switch them back to what worked last season.

How is the negativity better than the constructive?

Kanes interview for Soccer Saturday sheds more light on this whole fiasco.

In a nutshell he basically says the transfer window was a disaster.

Too many players were supposed to leave, most didn’t and we are in the funny position of not being able to strengthen where we needed due to being lumbered with players who shouldn’t be here....

Seems Pochettino realised X was needed to rebuild long before this pre season and planned accordingly, too many roadblocks stopped him from properly doing this and his frustration is clear to see!!

You must read some interesting stuff ... negativity is good? well despite what Tori Rodriguez had to say the vast majority of psychotherapists would not agree ...

Negativity serves little purpose ... constructive comment does

Poch is a cunt for playing the diamond, he's learn't nothing and he can't get the best out of players, maybe he's a dead end.

or

Poch should use the diamond formation less, he can clearly see that the players are still adapting and that this formation has reduced our ability to press, to get the best out of the players whilst the new boys acclimatise he either needs for them to understand their roles in the diamond better, or to switch them back to what worked last season.

How is the negativity better than the constructive?

Yes, negativity in a constructive manner can be productive, I am not saying that being constantly negative for no purpose is good in the same way being constantly positive is no good either, I thought I made that clear in my post when talking about critical thinking ability?

You can't differentiate between constructive criticism and negativity most of the time and yet you seem to be perfectly capable of doing so in this post (with your Poch is a cunt comparison.)

So what stops you when reading mine or others like me who choose to view the situation from both perspectives and don't subscribe to a cult like philosophy of thinking?

Breaking down your points:

- How many people call Poch a cunt? I don't see many on here and if they do then yes, I would agree with you, that is unproductive negativity.

- Saying he hasn't learned from his mistakes, well that's up for debate, I don't consider that to be negative, he does have a habit of repeating the same mistakes so there is an element of truth to that imo.

- He can't get the best out of players, whilst that isn't unproductive negativity, I don't think it's the truth, I think that's a matter of opinion and it's wrong because he has proven that he can, is he currently? No imo, he isn't, will he again? History says yes and I am hopeful he will.

- He's a dead end, that's a matter of opinion, some people want to move on because they believe there are better options (just like with Sherwood) therefore Poch is a "dead end" others believe he will improve again and get us firing, neither perspective is fact, it's all opinion, I find it hard to find either overly positive or overly negative.

I also agree that the constructive example you have is a healthy way to have discussion but if I were so inclined, I could accuse you if being negative because you are doubting Pochs tactical ability, however, I know that isn't the case because I am viewing the statement from a neutral and critical perspective, do you understand what I am getting at here?

Anything can be considered "negative" or "positive" because of our own personal biases, that's why it's important to look at the content of a post and break it down bit by bit and consider all perspectives before rushing in to insult posters because what they said isn't in agreement with your ego.

I like what Poch is saying here, my biggest fear was that he has lost his passion with everything that has happened, he looked like a broken man during the cup tie, my biggest fear was even he had given up.

This interview doesn't sound like a man who has given up, it sounds like a man who is in a shit situation because he has been left with a squad similar to the one he inherited when he first moved here, filled with some unmotivated players that are negatively having an impact on others.

That's why, I believe, he needs to drop those players entirely from the squad if that is indeed the case, just like he did when he moved here.

My other fear is that Levy and ENIC will not fund a squad rebuild, replacing these players will not be cheap but it seems like that's what needs to happen if we want to get the best from Poch.

Like a Spurs forum or a Spurs face book page for supportive fans .... who would have thought of that? Why not start your own "we all hate everything Spurs forum" after all that's all you and the other 'adults' ever post ....

Or why not start a sect and you can all prance around in the moonlight wearing lillywhite dresses with nothing underneath chanting he’s magic you know.

Then you can come out with a deer head on or something, and a long pitch fork, and slice the head off a cockerill (mind your bell end while doing this) and spray it’s blood all over a burning effigy of Daniel Levy.

Real fanz hate chairmen
Real fanz hate Champo squad members

That’s what you write on the forest floor in your own cum after you’ve bummed the whole tribe who are wearing Mauricio masks

:pochhail:

I like what Poch is saying here, my biggest fear was that he has lost his passion with everything that has happened, he looked like a broken man during the cup tie, my biggest fear was even he had given up.

This interview doesn't sound like a man who has given up, it sounds like a man who is in a shit situation because he has been left with a squad similar to the one he inherited when he first moved here, filled with some unmotivated players that are negatively having an impact on others.

That's why, I believe, he needs to drop those players entirely from the squad if that is indeed the case, just like he did when he moved here.

My other fear is that Levy and ENIC will not fund a squad rebuild, replacing these players will not be cheap but it seems like that's what needs to happen if we want to get the best from Poch.

I think Levy will make the maximum funds available to improve the squad. After all, he was willing to spend another £75m to bring Dybala this summer, there is money to spend. My concern is that losing 3 top players on a free transfer will severely limit what we can spend next summer without selling Son/Kane.

Or why not start a sect and you can all prance around in the moonlight wearing lillywhite dresses with nothing underneath chanting he’s magic you know.

Then you can come out with a deer head on or something, and a long pitch fork, and slice the head off a cockerill (mind your bell end while doing this) and spray it’s blood all over a burning effigy of Daniel Levy.

Real fanz hate chairmen
Real fanz hate Champo squad members

That’s what you write on the forest floor in your own cum after you’ve bummed the whole tribe who are wearing Mauricio masks

:pochhail:

I'm scared... :pochcry:

I think Levy will make the maximum funds available to improve the squad. After all, he was willing to spend another £75m to bring Dybala this summer, there is money to spend. My concern is that losing 3 top players on a free transfer will severely limit what we can spend next summer without selling Son/Kane.

It shouldn't limit us because not selling those players is down to our chairman, he is the man who signs and sells players, to punish the manager for his failure to sell isn't fair imo (if that is indeed the case and Poch didn't tell him that he wants to keep these players, in which case, it's different.)

That being said, I just read these quotes from Poch also about the January window:

“Again, again, it's how you consider my words and, sorry sometimes I use words that maybe means different or I want to translate some feelings that don't arrive in the way I want to translate to you,” Pochettino said, apologising for not making himself more clear.

“I am happy, with the squad that we have and now we need to perform with the squad we have. That responsibility is mine, to create that dynamic for us all to be together and start to perform in the way that we want.”

He seems to contradict himself a lot.

Which kind of tells you why he looked so crestfallen on Tuesday:

"Here are the boys I can rely on to replace the wantaways.."
"Shit, maybe not "...

Why are you even here? you just can't stop hating on players, the club, and now the manager ... why?

I've probably not been as negative about many of our performances this season (except City and Woolwich)as many have, said we didn't play to bad against Leicester and again, wasn't about Tuesday either, defended the team Poch put out, the rationale for it and the performance.

The trouble with you is you're like some hyperbolic happy clapper who seems to wet the bed at the first sign of an alternative opinion.

It's great Poch saying stuff, Poch says a fuck of a lot of stuff, most of it gibberish. What I'm a bit puzzled by is that we are now into his sixth season, the steady drop off in work rate, cohesion and coordination without the ball has been visible for two years. He's been working with the same group of players for most of the last 5 years, has it only just dawned on him that we don't work very hard without the ball anymore.

And as I (and others - go and read RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK 's post in the ratings and ramblings thread from the weekend) - have continually pointed out that someone like Sissoko, who lacks even basic tactical football intelligence ambles around pressing nobody and pointing much of the time, I would expect a coach who had intensity as one of his core values from the get go would realise the counter intuitiveness of continually picking a player who is shit at intensity, and there isn't even a "footballing" pay off, because he's technically inept too and prevents playing out from the back - another core ethos.

He could put a kid out there with more tactical intelligence, better technical competence who is capable of a much higher level of intensity (just as he did with Mason and Bentaleb in his first few months) and even if the crowd don't sing their names because the make one 30 yard open space charge upfield before whacking the ball out the ground, or make one clattering foul per game, they will just do all the basic things you need in a midfield better, tactically and technically fit the philosophy much better, and set the benchmark for intensity that even the better players have to attain, just as Mason and bentaleb laid the benchmark for the likes of Dembele etc.

So, if just taken in isolation, his comments about working off the ball sound lovely, but when put against the context of major fundamental decisions he's taking - they are hard to reconcile. Hence the reference to Roberto Martinez who used to talk a brilliant game post match, but could never get his sides to do the things he could talk so eloquently about.

Caring about this club is not just fucking happy clapping stupid decisions that make us shit.

That's where you're wrong mate, the people who are upset about our form are LOVING it, why wouldn't they love seeing our club regressing?

Iq mean, I know I only speak for myself here but personally, I have followed this club 30+ years and some of my favourite moments have been when we were utterly shit, I can't wait to celebrate mediocrity again, everytime we lose a game a smile beams across my face because secretly I am addicted to enjoying watching us fail and it makes me happy seeing us fail, I know that makes no logical sense whatever but it's the truth and posters like BangkokSpud BangkokSpud are never wrong, he is bang on the money about everything because he thinks he is.

It has nothing whatever to do with the fact that I love my club and want it to be successful, nothing at all.
Sarcasm has a character limit. I too dream of Steve Sedgley building our house in his image.

Poch needs to sit players that are not giving their best at all times. The Colchester result is purely based on lack of passion or effort. The talent and skill advantage we had means we should have won easily regardless of the tactics. We should have scored 4+ goals.

Back
Top Bottom