Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You wasn’t there

There’s credible lifelong season ticket holders who agree with me.

And Alex Ferguson knows his stuff:
“Tottenham at the moment are the best team in the country. Their form at the moment is the best anywhere and they are definitely title contenders.”
Ferguson thought Moyes is perfect replacement.

So more or less the same group of players that did fuck all with Sherwood and avb. Probably on a par with the squad redknapp had and probably on a par or worse than pleat had in 86/7 maybe the same or slightly better than venables squads 88-90. In every case there have been at least 2 or 3 better sides than us - unless you think we underperformed in those seasons too in which case has poch been up until this season actually been doing a decent job?
Are you saying son, Alli and alderweireld elevated this squad to world class and title winners?
I think your expectations are a bit off. We've rarely been in a title hunt (maybe at a push 4 times in my supporting life of 1986 onwards), nor had a squad that has been at the level to win a title unless you consider the coached and set up sides of pochettino that type of side.

No not its not more or less the same group when Son, Ali, Alderwield weren’t here and Kane was 18 and still in the youth side.

And Lloris, Vertonghen and Dembele didn’t do ‘fuck all’ under AVB they were excellent - the issue was they were playing with the likes of Kaboul, Adebayor, Dempsey and Defoe. I do wish peope would stop going on about Sherwood given that he was only here 6 months.

This squad is well ahead of the Redknapp one which always burnt itself out by March due to an absence of options. It’s been one of the most balanced Spurs teams we have had - just look at the 2017 team for example. And this team has been good enough to challenge for that title - if the 2016 Leicester side and 2017 Chelsea team can win the title so could have we.

The players were have had have been some of our best but this is all about excusing the manager - again. A manager who was sacked previously by Espanyol and whose best achievement prior to joining us was a 9th place finish at Southampton. It’s quite something that even after a record defeat at home some are still willing run down other areas of the club in order to elevate him.

No not its not more or less the same group when Son, Ali, Alderwield weren’t here and Kane was 18 and still in the youth side.

And Lloris, Vertonghen and Dembele didn’t do ‘fuck all’ under AVB they were excellent - the issue was they were playing with the likes of Kaboul, Adebayor
Dempsey, Defoe. I do wish peope would stop going on about Sherwood given that he was only here 6 months.

This squad is well ahead of the Redknapp one which always burnt itself out by March due to an absence of options. It’s been one of the most balanced Spurs teams we have had - just look at the 2017 team for example. And this team has been good enough to challenge for that title - if the 2016 Leicester side and 2017 Chelsea team can win the title so could have we.

The players were have had have been so of the best but this is all about excusing the manager - again. A manager who was sacked previously by Espanyol and whose best achievement prior to joining us was a 9th place finish at Southampton. It’s quite something that even after a record defeat at home some are still willing run down other areas of the club in order to elevate him.
I'm not running down other areas of the club I'm saying that you have give some credit to the manager for getting a team to perform - so pleat, redknapp and poch did that for a time and then for whatever reason couldn't maintain it. While you are saying it is simply down to the players and being lucky to have a great squad. We weren't playing 451 before poch, dier wasn't a DM, Dele wasn't an AM.
But by that time you had already decided that poch was rubbish.
It's not about excusing the manager for the terrible form it's about giving credit where it's due.

I'm not running down other areas of the club I'm saying that you have give some credit to the manager for getting a team to perform - so pleat, redknapp and poch did that for a time and then for whatever reason couldn't maintain it. While you are saying it is simply down to the players and being lucky to have a great squad. We weren't playing 451 before poch, dier wasn't a DM, Dele wasn't an AM.
It's not about excusing the manager for the terrible form it's about giving credit where it's due.

Were have I said he was rubbish? The point is that if we had a manager that matched the quality of this squad then we would have had a healthy trophy haul. He is just another Redknapp which is what I have said since 2016 and I don’t see how anyone can dispute that. A good manager - nothing more and we needed more than simply good. He will get quickly found out in his next job much like when Redknapps bubble bury at at QPR.

All managers run out of steam at a club eventually. Guys like Ferguson and Wenger are not exactly the norm when it comes to how long one tends to stay at a club. Poch has done a tremendous job over 5 years but it looks like he and as a result we are running on fumes now.

He could do with a year away from the game before he decides on where he goes next the day we decide to part ways.

I would take sandro too in his prime. and with crouch In our team it would make more sense hitting those hopeless crosses into the box when we are chasing the game like vs colchester last week...

Squad that went to Milan and won:

Substitutes

Two players would start in our team at its peak. Poch would have us fighting relegation with that mob

This team was good in its day.

Dont forget Poch has drawn with Barcelona with a midfield consisting of winks and sissoko.

And before you shoot me down. Those 2 are not that good.

This team was good in its day.

Dont forget Poch has drawn with Barcelona with a midfield consisting of winks and sissoko.

And before you shoot me down. Those 2 are not that good.

I loved that team, but you´ve got morons trying to say that the squads were almost par, and worth the same because Poch hasnt done much more than Redknapp.

I would fucking LOVE to see what people had to say about Levy if Poch had been bought the likes of Hutton, Dawson, Pienaar, Bassong and Pav to go to Barca with hahahahahahaha

And didnt Poch sell Sandro without even giving him a game? Was Palacios better than Dembele?

Calling people entitled and claiming at the same time Redknapp underachieved LOL

Lets thank him for moving us from 5th/6th to 3rd/4th as close to god as you can get. You fucking retard
Without 3rd or 4th there is no champions league and no chance of winning that trophy.
You need to look a bit deeper, we've won one trophy since ENIC took charge and won the league twice since the club was formed.

Now we are playing fighting against clubs who have enormous amounts of money to spend and still making the champions league. I want to win trophies as well but I don't see any realistic alternatives around that will deliver them, Poch is the best guy to do that.

We got to a final and? No one cares about getting to a final. No one cared that Sampdoria reached a final in 92 , or Leverkusen in 2001, Monaco in 2004, Woolwich in 2007 or a number of other such teams. Do you cherish Leeds reaching the semi final in 2001. It doesn’t mean anything - the only thing matters is winning it.
He went one better than David O Leary - quick, let’s build a statue for him
I get where you're coming from, but, regardless of the end result, GETTING to the CL FINAL IS still an achievement!
You’re only willing to give him to the end of the season?
Just how fickle, overly entitled, short memoried supporter are you.
Poch deserves more than that - inpatient supporters like you make me sick
....hang on... I can't work out which side of the fence you're on here....? :pochfacepalm::pochsulk: I ASSUME you're still in the 'Poch out' camp... and are just making ze humour here, no?

I loved that team, but you´ve got morons trying to say that the squads were almost par, and worth the same because Poch hasnt done much more than Redknapp.

I would fucking LOVE to see what people had to say about Levy if Poch had been bought the likes of Hutton, Dawson, Pienaar, Bassong and Pav to go to Barca with hahahahahahaha

And didnt Poch sell Sandro without even giving him a game? Was Palacios better than Dembele?

Calling people entitled and claiming at the same time Redknapp underachieved LOL
The problem with comparisons like this, and the ones we all make with the squads in the 70's/80's/90's, is that you can't just compare our squad with the current squad and say that Redknap, Jol etc worked wonders with those players to finish 5th, 8th or even 11th. You have to compare our squad then with other teams then, and actually compare that with our squad now and other teams now. The likes of Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd and even Woolwich have spent large fortunes on building squads that are larger, more experienced and generally better than ours. The other teams should expect to be above us in the league and win trophies ahead of us because put simply, whatever measure you use they should be much better than us. So yes we are 'punching above our weight' to finish in the top 4,and have been for a few years now. Now do a similar comparison with that team 'that went to Milan and won'. It may or may not have been as strong as some other teams (Woolwich and Man Utd maybe were better, possibly Chelsea who were of course the big spenders of the era) but it was arguably at least as good as the rest, so why then weren't we finishing 3rd or 4th regularly? Or winning trophies?
The fact is that unfortunately without spending the GDP of a small country (or in City's case a large country) 'success' by winning things ahead of City/Liverpool/Utd/Chelsea/Woolwich should be almost impossible these days, whereas in previous eras the difference was never great enough to be a major barrier. Football is finished as a competitive sport - its now all about competitive spending and we will never get to the top of that league.
Sorry - a long way of saying that I don't think that comparing squads from years gone by is quite as simple as looking at OUR players in isolation.
And for the record, I think that Poch has taken us as far as he can and this needs to be his last season. He seems to be a manager who has fantastic ability in building a relatively low cost squad and improving players within that squad, but lacks the ability both tactically and from a coaching perspective to build a true winning squad (although money would help of course). I can now understand why he commented as he did before the ECL final - in my view (using hindsight) that would have been the ideal time for him to leave and pass on his legacy to a 'winning' manager.

Back
Top Bottom