Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The problem with comparisons like this, and the ones we all make with the squads in the 70's/80's/90's, is that you can't just compare our squad with the current squad and say that Redknap, Jol etc worked wonders with those players to finish 5th, 8th or even 11th. You have to compare our squad then with other teams then, and actually compare that with our squad now and other teams now. The likes of Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd and even Woolwich have spent large fortunes on building squads that are larger, more experienced and generally better than ours. The other teams should expect to be above us in the league and win trophies ahead of us because put simply, whatever measure you use they should be much better than us. So yes we are 'punching above our weight' to finish in the top 4,and have been for a few years now. Now do a similar comparison with that team 'that went to Milan and won'. It may or may not have been as strong as some other teams (Woolwich and Man Utd maybe were better, possibly Chelsea who were of course the big spenders of the era) but it was arguably at least as good as the rest, so why then weren't we finishing 3rd or 4th regularly? Or winning trophies?
The fact is that unfortunately without spending the GDP of a small country (or in City's case a large country) 'success' by winning things ahead of City/Liverpool/Utd/Chelsea/Woolwich should be almost impossible these days, whereas in previous eras the difference was never great enough to be a major barrier. Football is finished as a competitive sport - its now all about competitive spending and we will never get to the top of that league.
Sorry - a long way of saying that I don't think that comparing squads from years gone by is quite as simple as looking at OUR players in isolation.
And for the record, I think that Poch has taken us as far as he can and this needs to be his last season. He seems to be a manager who has fantastic ability in building a relatively low cost squad and improving players within that squad, but lacks the ability both tactically and from a coaching perspective to build a true winning squad (although money would help of course). I can now understand why he commented as he did before the ECL final - in my view (using hindsight) that would have been the ideal time for him to leave and pass on his legacy to a 'winning' manager.

Poch was up against a shite Liverpool team until about a season and a half ago, where he was regulary finishing above them. Woolwich and Utd are fucking garbage and were ten times better in 2010.
Chelsea won the CL and EL in their "off years".

City have gone up ten fold, but so have we. we finished above them twice under Poch...did we spend the same as them in 2015?

The comparison is fair, if harping on about the 90s is fair.

We have regressed massively whether you look at Redknapp or not.

Poch was up against a shite Liverpool team until about a season and a half ago, where he was regulary finishing above them. Woolwich and Utd are fucking garbage and were ten times better in 2010.
Chelsea won the CL and EL in their "off years".

City have gone up ten fold, but so have we. we finished above them twice under Poch...did we spend the same as them in 2015?

The comparison is fair, if harping on about the 90s is fair.

We have regressed massively whether you look at Redknapp or not.
I'm not sure if you're missing the point on purpose or just don't like it. Not to worry - lifes too short.

Without 3rd or 4th there is no champions league and no chance of winning that trophy.
You need to look a bit deeper, we've won one trophy since ENIC took charge and won the league twice since the club was formed.

Now we are playing fighting against clubs who have enormous amounts of money to spend and still making the champions league. I want to win trophies as well but I don't see any realistic alternatives around that will deliver them, Poch is the best guy to do that.
That man is never going to win a trophy in his managerial career. You could give him man citys team and he would still wouldn't win anything. He has had a team/squad good enough to win things and hasn't been able to deliver.

That man is never going to win a trophy in his managerial career. You could give him man citys team and he would still wouldn't win anything. He has had a team/squad good enough to win things and hasn't been able to deliver.
What things? A league cup? A FA cup?
I agree the team is good enough to win those and I want us to win those but the reality is in today's football the champions league is more important, he's delivered qualification for 4 years.
Only Ramos as won anything in the last 20 years and look what happened to him. It's an illusion to think Eddie Howe or anyone else we can get is going to come in, rebuild the side, qualify for the CL and win trophies.

I'm not sure if you're missing the point on purpose or just don't like it. Not to worry - lifes too short.

But you´re point was not to take the Spurs 2010 squad in isolation.
So I didnt, and mentioned the rest of the top 6 compared to then and now, and how Poch has faired in comparison and regressed.

Maybe you dont like my point, Touche

:llorishuh:

What things? A league cup? A FA cup?
I agree the team is good enough to win those and I want us to win those but the reality is in today's football the champions league is more important, he's delivered qualification for 4 years.
Only Ramos as won anything in the last 20 years and look what happened to him. It's an illusion to think Eddie Howe or anyone else we can get is going to come in, rebuild the side, qualify for the CL and win trophies.
Yes some league and f.a cups would be nice. Every other top 6 team has managed to pick up these trophies while challenging for top 4. He isn't an elite manager and that is the truth.
Who said anything about howe? I personally think if someone like him is appointed there is a good chance kane and son are off. There are obvious managers that would come in win things and compete for top 4

But has he done better than Tim Sherwood?...

ig-batman-multiverse-bruce-wayne-is-impresseaby-tims-tactical-and-14132749.png

Yes some league and f.a cups would be nice. Every other top 6 team has managed to pick up these trophies while challenging for top 4. He isn't an elite manager and that is the truth.
Who said anything about howe? I personally think if someone like him is appointed there is a good chance kane and son are off. There are obvious managers that would come in win things and compete for top 4
Liverpool didn't win anything for years before the CL. What elite manager is going to come to us and work with Levy? Sammyspurs mentioned Howe as a guy who can win things.

He´s been here at least three years longer than ALL the managers ENIC has employed

Yeh and he has got 4 top four finishes, a CL final and not far off a league title with relative to our rivals peanuts while we piss around for nearly 2 years at Wembley as well.

If you think he has lost the dressing room fine and needs to go fine but to not understand under the circumstances the huge achievements he has made is not in my view correct.

You think any other manager we have had would have done as much as Poch and please bare in mind I am a fan of both Jol and Redknapp during their tenures.

Yeh and he has got 4 top four finishes, a CL final and not far off a league title with relative to our rivals peanuts while we piss around for nearly 2 years at Wembley as well.

If you think he has lost the dressing room fine and needs to go fine but to not understand under the circumstances the huge achievements he has made is not in my view correct.

You think any other manager we have had would have done as much as Poch and please bare in mind I am a fan of both Jol and Redknapp during their tenures.

As I said yesterday:
People forget Jol finished just 1pt behind Woolwich and if it wasn’t for having a ball 1m over the line disallowed at Old Trafford, we’d have rightly finished above them in the CL spots.

Aunty bollocks yeah yeah yeah.

Point being, Poch hasn’t exactly taken us next level because he’s won nothing and not done that much more in the league than Redknapp did, or Jol would have if there was VAR in 2006

I love this notion that Poch was working on peanuts compared to our rivals but supposedly Redknapp and Jol wasnt?
I dont know what they would have acheived given 5 seasons....a domestic cup isnt unrealistic though.
At very least, an identity Im sure

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom