Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's not "major" if you want to rank them but it's still a cup. The one big complaint I had with Poch was he did not take the league cup seriously. I know people will say we needed to focus on the league or Europe instead but I strongly feel that winning a trophy would have changed everything for the coaching staff and the core players. Just getting that first trophy and then kick on from there.

I don't even blame Poch as much for the Son at LWB in the semi-final against United because he was trying something different to try winning the game. It didn't work but I will never fault a manager for trying new ideas or tactics. But giving up league cup games will always bug me.
This is a reasonable post. A good post actually

One thing I would add though. If Poch had won a couple of league cups at the expense of Champions league qualification I doubt he would have lasted 5 years in the job. And I doubt we would have been elevated to the 8th wealthiest club on the planet recording the highest profit margins bar none.

He achieved what his employer wanted. Years ahead of schedule.

Sammy might bemoan his failure to lift a pot. But consistently qualifying for the champions league ahead of rivals with far bigger transfer budgets is what he was brought in to do.

And he did it. Admirably.

This is a reasonable post. A good post actually

One thing I would add though. If Poch had won a couple of league cups at the expense of Champions league qualification I doubt he would have lasted 5 years in the job. And I doubt we would have been elevated to the 8th wealthiest club on the planet recording the highest profit margins bar none.

He achieved what his employer wanted. Years ahead of schedule.

Sammy might bemoan his failure to lift a pot. But consistently qualifying for the champions league ahead of rivals with far bigger transfer budgets is what he was brought in to do.

And he did it. Admirably.
I agree with that. I would have to go back and look at each league cup game that Poch did not take as seriously to see if it would have cost us in the league or Champions League or even Europa if it was early in his tenure. Poch's main goal was to obviously win one of the two major trophies while also staying in the Champions League to make Levy happy.

I have only been on this forum a day or two so I have not given too many views on Poch but he is a manager I'd take back at the club in a heartbeat. If he learned from his mistakes and Levy backs him just as much as Levy has backed Jose, I think we win something and play more exciting football.

Sadly, I do not think we will ever have the chance to find out what Poch could do at Spurs with more backing.

Frankly, if Pochettino does win the title in France for PSG, its par for the course. anything less than at least the league title could be considered failure.
theyve won the domestic quadruple 4 times in 5 years.
the league 7 times in 8 years
the year they didnt win the league, they won everything else in France.

even some of the know nothing know it alls on this fucked up site could win the title there.

Jesus Christ imagine spending so much time and energy slating a manager that is widely considered to have done a good job and is more than a year out of the job
Imagining sucking him off to the point winning nothing is considered miraculous and better than winning 10 trophies, and totally ignoring not winning away for 11 months, losing to Colchester, shipping 7 at home, hitching his skirt for PSG back in 2016, saying he’d quit if we won the CL, losing 5-1 to a relegated team and capitulating 2nd and playing Son at LB in a semi final

I know!!

He's an idiot. Been red carded about 10 times so many others agree. Unlikeable.
72.5k pos reps
6k neg reps

You forgot to write “in my opinion” at the end of your post.
Clearly you’re in a minority.....one of the better posters, who are so above it all that they can’t keep the subject on Poch for a single post, and make it all about another poster.

Looooooool

Jesus Christ imagine spending so much time and energy slating a manager that is widely considered to have done a good job and is more than a year out of the job
Imagine spending so much time slating a manager who has one of the best CVS around and who is a “proven winner” yet is just over a year into the job :mourbringit:

Imagining sucking him off to the point winning nothing is considered miraculous and better than winning 10 trophies, and totally ignoring not winning away for 11 months, losing to Colchester, shipping 7 at home, hitching his skirt for PSG back in 2016, saying he’d quit if we won the CL, losing 5-1 to a relegated team and capitulating 2nd and playing Son at LB in a semi final

I know!!
You took a lot of instances over a 5 year period but when you think of his time as a whole here, he was very good for us. Poch and Levy made Spurs into a team you expect to be in the Champions League. I'm a Poch fan but I would take a trophy over playing attractive football any day.

But losing to Colchester is on the players. You don't need a manager to tell Premier League players to beat a league 2 side.

Dominated by Bayern? Yea, it happens. Bayern were the best team in the world.

Playing Son at LWB, it was a creative way to get more attackers on the field. Can't fault a manager for trying something new, especially at that time we had a limited squad. Rose was out and Davies was not going to provide anything in attack so putting Son in was a risky choice but made sense to try.

Losing 5-1 to Newcastle. Do you remember how shit our players were that game as well? After we lost to Chelsea the players completely checked out for the season. Top 4 was secure, nothing to play for and it showed. They had no heart. I blame Poch to but you can't put it all on him.

Imagine spending so much time slating a manager who has one of the best CVS around and who is a “proven winner” yet is just over a year into the job :mourbringit:

Yeah good one, i want what's best for Spurs and at the minute the person in charge is concerning me in several different areas which is leaving me doubting our immediate future under him. If you can't see the difference then...

Yeah good one, i want what's best for Spurs and at the minute the person in charge is concerning me in several different areas which is leaving me doubting our immediate future under him. If you can't see the difference then...
So poch had 5 years and we won fuck all, Jose has not even had 2 yet , let’s come back to this at the end of the season?

So poch had 5 years and we won fuck all, Jose has not even had 2 yet , let’s come back to this at the end of the season?
Because if you are a Jose man all you have is results, right? which is fine if that's how you want digest football, but then what is the point in coming on to a message board in the first place and discussing what we see before the end of the season? You're more than welcome to tell me "i told you so" then, if we have anything to shout about, but what would be interesting is if you could explain why you think we are going to have a good season with some logic other than "because Mourinho"

The difference is it did not go bad for Poch until the last 18 months. If Poch started out terrible, I'm sure fans and the club would have turned on him after his second season.

Jose also comes with the baggage of who he is. It is harder for fans to accept someone that was such an arch-nemesis for so many years.

Because if you are a Jose man all you have is results, right? which is fine if that's how you want digest football, but then what is the point in coming on to a message board in the first place and discussing what we see before the end of the season? You're more than welcome to tell me "i told you so" then, if we have anything to shout about, but what would be interesting is if you could explain why you think we are going to have a good season with some logic other than "because Mourinho"
The thing is people were willing to give poch 5 years and we won fuck all , yet with Jose they won’t even give him a full season , Liverpool drop points to Fulham and West Brom , but when we drop points it’s because Jose is a fraud ? We are still only 6 points from the top of the league and still in all competitions, granted things might not work out with him in charge but I’m willing to give him at least a full season before deciding whether he is the right man for the job or not

Back
Top Bottom