Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The difference is it did not go bad for Poch until the last 18 months. If Poch started out terrible, I'm sure fans and the club would have turned on him after his second season.

Jose also comes with the baggage of who he is. It is harder for fans to accept someone that was such an arch-nemesis for so many years.
Is it really so bad now though? 6 points from the top , still in the Carabaro cup, FA cup and EL, win our next 3 games and who knows where we will be in the table when we face Liverpool at home . People forget how close poch was to getting sacked before Kane saved his job , I agree that if we end the season trophyless then Jose should go, but the season is far from over , why not give him a chance to see what we can win ?

Is it really so bad now though? 6 points from the top , still in the Carabaro cup, FA cup and EL, win our next 3 games and who knows where we will be in the table when we face Liverpool at home . People forget how close poch was to getting sacked before Kane saved his job , I agree that if we end the season trophyless then Jose should go, but the season is far from over , why not give him a chance to see what we can win ?
I'm all for giving Jose a chance. But I completely understand the fans that are sick of him because of his history and style of play. We all knew as soon as results started going bad, the anti-Jose people would come out stronger but even when we were winning I saw a lot of fans saying they wanted him out.

Either way, he should be gone this summer. We do not want the third year Jose happening at our club, it would be a disaster.

I'm all for giving Jose a chance. But I completely understand the fans that are sick of him because of his history and style of play. We all knew as soon as results started going bad, the anti-Jose people would come out stronger but even when we were winning I saw a lot of fans saying they wanted him out.

Either way, he should be gone this summer. We do not want the third year Jose happening at our club, it would be a disaster.
If his second season here is such a disaster as his second season at united then he will
Go down as one of the most successful Spurs managers of my life , says it all really doesn’t it ?

The thing is people were willing to give poch 5 years and we won fuck all , yet with Jose they won’t even give him a full season , Liverpool drop points to Fulham and West Brom , but when we drop points it’s because Jose is a fraud ? We are still only 6 points from the top of the league and still in all competitions, granted things might not work out with him in charge but I’m willing to give him at least a full season before deciding whether he is the right man for the job or not
This has all been discussed in the Jose thread the last couple of days, feel free to take a look but in short people aren't not happy with the position we're in it's the football being played and the tactics in games we should be playing on the front foot, these issues stretch back to the restart in July, not the last 4 games.

Wrt to Poch he showed steady progress on the pitch over his first 3-4 seasons - hence why people were happy to continue backing him. When that progress stopped people started to ask questions but he rightly had credit in the bank so he was given time to arrest the slide. So far Jose hasn't really progressed our football in the time he has been here and the argument seems to be we should wait it out because he's Mourinho.

Last edited:
If his second season here is such a disaster as his second season at united then he will
Go down as one of the most successful Spurs managers of my life , says it all really doesn’t it ?
I never said anything about his second season? Jose always wins in his second season and I hope he does again. It's his third season that scares me and why I said win or lose, he should be gone in the summer.

The thing is people were willing to give poch 5 years and we won fuck all , yet with Jose they won’t even give him a full season ,
Funny thing is, who keeps hiring all these managerial failures who continue to win fuck-all. Surely somewhere along the line the buck must stop there?
And they've been given 20 years!
So if the man who's been a winner at every club he's managed doesn't crack it, surely no-one will.

I never said anything about his second season? Jose always wins in his second season and I hope he does again. It's his third season that scares me and why I said win or lose, he should be gone in the summer.

I think it's entirely possible to get this team playing on the front foot where required and if Mourinho manages to do that then we can achieve good things because we have shown we can navigate the big games well. Do that over the second half of this season and I'm more than happy to stick with him because i will have seen some progress in our game and some evidence we can gonon to win the league. Failure to develop a way of playing on the front where required by the summer will have me questioning whether he can take us further, League Cup winners or not

I think it's entirely possible to get this team playing on the front foot where required and if Mourinho manages to do that then we can achieve good things because we have shown we can navigate the big games well. Do that over the second half of this season and I'm more than happy to stick with him because i will have seen some progress in our game and some evidence we can gonon to win the league. Failure to develop a way of playing on the front where required by the summer will have me questioning whether he can take us further, League Cup winners or not
If Jose changes his ways and gets this team playing more attacking football, he will win over a lot of fans. He has brought positives to the club in terms of attitude and winning big games but until he changes, I'm not expecting it. I saw it at United where he refused to be more attacking so why would he change now?

I hope he does and I hope results improve but we will see.

If Jose changes his ways and gets this team playing more attacking football, he will win over a lot of fans. He has brought positives to the club in terms of attitude and winning big games but until he changes, I'm not expecting it. I saw it at United where he refused to be more attacking so why would he change now?

I hope he does and I hope results improve but we will see.

I have my doubts it will happen too but i just wanted to address the idea that perhaps i/we/others don't want him here - the argument seems to be that there's an agenda against him when in truth we just don't see any progress in our play and until we do he's not showing himself to be the man to invest our short term future in

Funny thing is, who keeps hiring all these managerial failures who continue to win fuck-all. Surely somewhere along the line the buck must stop there?
So if the man who's been a winner at every club he's managed doesn't crack it, surely no-one will.
I’m not sure Levy could have done much more here , he has bought in a serial winner and backed him in the transfer market, if Jose fails then I truly believe we are cursed

The difference is it did not go bad for Poch until the last 18 months. If Poch started out terrible, I'm sure fans and the club would have turned on him after his second season.

Jose also comes with the baggage of who he is. It is harder for fans to accept someone that was such an arch-nemesis for so many years.
Pochs first season was fairly shit

So it’s levys fault his managerial choices fail but not Pochs fault when he signs Sanchez for a club record 44M and he fails?

What? Finished 5th in the league while bringing through young players and getting rid of the old waste. Made the league cup final as well.
How is that shit?
I love the polished versions some of you come up with, Poch himself thought he was going to get sacked before Kanes 90th winner away to Villa.

Home defeats that season to Stoke, Villa, WBA and Newcastle, hammered by Stoke away 3-0, hammered by Utd, hammered by Liverpool, hammered by City, left Dembele on the bench while we lost the Carabou final, got knocked out the EL at the first knockouts, out of the FA Cup by Leicester (who were bottom and had lost 12 games by Christmas and had scored 19 goals in 20 games) and finished the season one place and one point better than what Tim salvaged from AVBs catastrophe.

So it’s very, very odd that people who are lauding this are actually complaining now.

It's a lot more likely that he'll tell Neymar that he is paid to train; then Neymar will sulk off back to Brazil to be consoled by his sister and won't report back for several weeks.

Then Mbappe is sold to Madrid, and Poch will privately wonder what the fuck he's gotten himself into.
Could be worse, he could be invited to visit Saudi embassy for a dinner. :pochcry:

I love the polished versions some of you come up with, Poch himself thought he was going to get sacked before Kanes 90th winner away to Villa.

Home defeats that season to Stoke, Villa, WBA and Newcastle, hammered by Stoke away 3-0, hammered by Utd, hammered by Liverpool, hammered by City, left Dembele on the bench while we lost the Carabou final, got knocked out the EL at the first knockouts, out of the FA Cup by Leicester (who were bottom and had lost 12 games by Christmas and had scored 19 goals in 20 games) and finished the season one place and one point better than what Tim salvaged from AVBs catastrophe.

So it’s very, very odd that people who are lauding this are actually complaining now.
It's not a polished version, it's looking big picture. The team was playing better football while putting in and developing young players. The future actually looked positive even though results were not turning around yet. Of course, Poch thought he would be sacked, his first time in charge at a big club and a club that was changing managers like hats at the time.

It amazes me how quickly fans turn on a manager once results start going poor after everything he did for us. I agree it was time for us to split with Poch, it was best for both parties. But I refuse to look back and say his time here was negative or try ignoring all the positive signs he had early on.

Jose is coming to the club at a different time. We do not want Jose to build something like Poch did. We want him to win a trophy with what is already built. That is what Jose does, he has no time to build a long-term project like Poch tried. Jose wins things, blows up, and leaves. That is his style and as long as he wins a trophy, I'm fine with the aftermath. It is impossible to compare the two managers.

Back
Top Bottom