Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's an interesting study on the human mind and the effects that arguing a subject on the internet all day for months on end can have on a person - take away their internet access over that period and i doubt anyone would have a bad word to say about Poch or his time here but allow certain individuals with certain mental deficiencies to argue a point endlessly and they become further and further entrenched and polarised.

Fascinating to see play out

It's not a polished version, it's looking big picture. The team was playing better football while putting in and developing young players. The future actually looked positive even though results were not turning around yet. Of course, Poch thought he would be sacked, his first time in charge at a big club and a club that was changing managers like hats at the time.

It amazes me how quickly fans turn on a manager once results start going poor after everything he did for us. I agree it was time for us to split with Poch, it was best for both parties. But I refuse to look back and say his time here was negative or try ignoring all the positive signs he had early on.

Jose is coming to the club at a different time. We do not want Jose to build something like Poch did. We want him to win a trophy with what is already built. That is what Jose does, he has no time to build a long-term project like Poch tried. Jose wins things, blows up, and leaves. That is his style and as long as he wins a trophy, I'm fine with the aftermath. It is impossible to compare the two managers.
It amazes you how quickly fans turn on a manager?
I turned on Poch after Colchester. That was in his 6th season.

Again, people have turned on Jose after a bad fortnight, and in most cases it’s the people who had already turned on him the day he was appointed.

Last edited:
It's an interesting study on the human mind and the effects that arguing a subject on the internet all day for months on end can have on a person - take away their internet access and i doubt anyone would have a bad word to say about Poch or his time

So what your saying is that if people had no access to check all the shit results, and all the shit reviews, and all the shit statistics from his tenure they could happily forget all the shit times and laud him for the good.

Damn that internet and its ability to find out news.
By the way, some of us have memories, it’s just nice that people like you can’t can’t sweep it under the carpet.

I love the polished versions some of you come up with, Poch himself thought he was going to get sacked before Kanes 90th winner away to Villa.

True that we were terrible the first couple months, but all you've done is highlight the negatives to conclude we were shite his first season.

In actuality by the end of the season most fans were quite pleased and extremely optimistic. It was clear to see that we had improved massively from the AVB/Sherwood debacle season.

So what your saying is that if people had no access to check all the shit results, and all the shit reviews, and all the shit statistics from his tenure they could happily forget all the shit times and laud him for the good.

Damn that internet and its ability to find out news.
By the way, some of us have memories, it’s just nice that people like you can’t can’t sweep it under the carpet.
I'm saying you're a fucking moron who is so far lost in trying to win arguments on the internet that your view is completely and utterly skewed beyond reality.

It amazes you how quickly fans turn on a manager?
I turned on Poch after Colchester. That was in his 6th season.

Again, people have turned on Jose after a bad fortnight, and in most cases it’s the people who had already turned on him the day he was appointed.
I explained this before in a response but the reason people turned on Jose so quickly is because of his past. He was not wanted because he has been an enemy of the club for years, he has a dramatic fallout when he leaves and he plays a boring style. So of course people will be less patient with him.

And I see no reason to turn on Poch. You can say it's time for a split but you seem to have a negative vendetta against him. Why? He did nothing to deserve a negative attitude. The players and the club let him down just as much as he let us down. It was time for a change that everyone needed but if he ever wanted to come back, I'd welcome him back in a minute.

I'm saying you're a fucking moron who is so far lost in trying to win arguments on the internet that your view is completely and utterly skewed beyond reality.
But I’m on ignore so you wouldn’t know.....oh that’s right you’re just pretending to ignore me like I said you was the other day.

How predictable.

Anyway, it’s not about being right (even though you are clearly the sort of person who argues his point in the total belief that he is wrong I suppose) it’s about stating a simple fact that if Pochettino was as good as it’s been claimed, he would have achieved something in the game after 11 years as a manager.

That doesn’t mean he’s shit, it just means means he’s an ok manager who had a good run, but ultimately failed.

If you think Poch is the better manager, why should Jose get less time?

Where did I say Poch was the better manager?

Its quite obvious by my posts that Jose is the better manager which is why he should be able to win something within his first 3 seasons.

He's done it at every other club.

I got a like and an agree in my previous posts regarding this to your none. So clearly I'm right.

That's your gimmick isn't it?

Where did I say Poch was the better manager?

I got a like and an agree in my previous posts regarding this to your none. So clearly I'm right.

That's your gimmick isn't it?
Hmmmm nope.
Never claimed to be right, simply if someone says I’m the most disliked person on the forum etc, and I’ve received 50 plus pos reps that day, I can quite happily use it to justify why their view of me is their own and they don’t speak for the forum.

So many people obsessed with me “wanting to be right”.
Do you debate to be wrong? Or argue your point?

it’s about stating a simple fact that if Pochettino was as good as it’s been claimed, he would have achieved something in the game after 11 years as a manager.

That doesn’t mean he’s shit, it just means means he’s an ok manager who had a good run, but ultimately failed.

Key assumption - that you only "achieve something" if you win a trophy.

Dubious assumption to make, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Key assumption - that you only "achieve something" if you win a trophy.

Dubious assumption to make, but you're entitled to your opinion.
For a manager that’s what they will be judged by.
Yes he achieved top 4 and “some good football”, but I’m not sure he’d be happy with that, or if it will go down on his Wiki page if he retired tomorrow

For a manager that’s what they will be judged by.
Yes he achieved top 4 and “some good football”, but I’m not sure he’d be happy with that, or if it will go down on his Wiki page if he retired tomorrow
I'm sure he will be happy knowing he played a key part in moving Tottenham in the direction he did. He will regret not winning a trophy but he helped develop some of the best young players in the league at that time (Dele, Kane, Son, Eriksen, Trippier, Dier). He watched over a move to the best stadium in the world, put a fantastic final season together at WHL we can all look back on with great memories. Had one of the best runs to a CL final you will ever see.

I'm sure he will be happy with his time with us overall and certainly deserves all the credit he receives. If we won a trophy he would no doubt be one of the best managers Spurs have ever had given the context of everything.

Different ways to rate managers, Jose is a serial winner and deserves all that praise. Poch is great at building competitive teams from nothing. No need to downplay one just to up the other.

I'm sure he will be happy knowing he played a key part in moving Tottenham in the direction he did. He will regret not winning a trophy but he helped develop some of the best young players in the league at that time (Dele, Kane, Son, Eriksen, Trippier, Dier). He watched over a move to the best stadium in the world, put a fantastic final season together at WHL we can all look back on with great memories. Had one of the best runs to a CL final you will ever see.

I'm sure he will be happy with his time with us overall and certainly deserves all the credit he receives. If we won a trophy he would no doubt be one of the best managers Spurs have ever had given the context of everything.

Different ways to rate managers, Jose is a serial winner and deserves all that praise. Poch is great at building competitive teams from nothing. No need to downplay one just to up the other.
I’m not downplaying Poch I’m just not overrating him.
Like you did.
He didn’t build a team from nothing, he took over a team that in the the five years before he came finished 6th, 5th, 4th, 5th, 4th, and took them to 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Some of you act like he took over from Hoddle. He did marginally better than Redknapp.

I’m not downplaying Poch I’m just not overrating him.
Like you did.
He didn’t build a team from nothing, he took over a team that in the the five years before he came finished 6th, 5th, 4th, 5th, 4th, and took them to 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th.

Some of you act like he took over from Hoddle. He did marginally better than Redknapp.
There is obviously no getting through to you about how much Poch did outside of results so we will just have to agree to disagree. If you honestly think he did marginally better than Redknapp then I don't really know what to say.

There is obviously no getting through to you about how much Poch did outside of results so we will just have to agree to disagree. If you honestly think he did marginally better than Redknapp then I don't really know what to say.
He did only do marginally better then redknapp though. When he doesn't win anything with PSG everyone will realise he isn't a God

He did only do marginally better then redknapp though. When he doesn't win anything with PSG everyone will realise he isn't a God
Nobody is saying Poch is a God but you're doing the same thing Sammyspurs did and are only looking at results with no context. Poch was dealing with a new stadium move, a year without a home, deep European runs, and even a title chase for the league with one of the league's youngest squads.

And look at the points, Poch had a higher point total and better league finishes. Not to mention putting us in a CL final and a title race for the PL.

2008 - 8th with 51pts
2009 - 4th with 70pts
2010 - 5th with 62pts
2011 - 4th with 69pts

2014- 5th 64pts
2015 - 3rd 70pts
2016 - 2nd 86pts
2017 - 3rd 77pts
2018 - 4th 71pts

I think it is downplaying everything Poch did to just look at table finishes and say "He only did a little better than Harry"

Back
Top Bottom