Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch only being a slight improvement on Redknapp presumably means then if Jose finished 2nd 1st 2nd he's only done slightly better than Pochs 3rd 2nd 3rd?

So a slight improvement on what Poch achieved would mean we'd be league winners for the first time in over 60 years - yet its being played down, strange

There is obviously no getting through to you about how much Poch did outside of results so we will just have to agree to disagree. If you honestly think he did marginally better than Redknapp then I don't really know what to say.
That’s because you grossly underestimate what Redknapp did and grossly overestimate what Poch did.

You waxed lyrical about expectations and what we expect of Jose and what we expected of Poch then totally dismiss a manager like Redknapp (basically Fat Sam or Padrew) breaking top 4, which was completely and utterly a novelty, having us tear the likes of Inter apart, beat Woolwich away, beat Liverpool away, beat Milan away and take us to a CL quarter final, while finishing twice 4th with the likes of Hutton, Gomez, Chimbonda, Crouch, Pav and Dawson.

How convenient....I suppose you are going to know tell me he had a better squad “because Bale and Modric”

Poch only being a slight improvement on Redknapp presumably means then if Jose finished 2nd 1st 2nd he's only done slightly better than Pochs 3rd 2nd 3rd?

So a slight improvement on what Poch achieved would mean we'd be league winners for the first time in over 60 years - yet its being played down, strange
If you consider winning the title as only slightly better than not winning it maybe

That’s because you grossly underestimate what Redknapp did and grossly overestimate what Poch did.

You waxed lyrical about expectations and what we expect of Jose and what we expected if Poch then totally dismiss a manager like Redknapp (basically Fat Sam or Padrew) breaking top 4, which was completely and utterly a novelty, having us tear the likes of Inter apart, beat Woolwich away, beat Liverpool away, beat Milan away and take us to a CL quarter final, while finishing twice 4th with the likes of Hutton, Gomez, Chimbonda, Crouch, Pav and Dawson.

How convenient....I suppose you are going to know tell me he had a better squad “because Bale and Modric”
I don't know how to get through your head. I have mentioned numerous times why I think Poch deserves more credit for things he did outside results with the transition the club was going through. Levy even talks about the time Poch was here, off the pitch was the hardest and most difficult ever during his time at Spurs because of the stadium move.

All you did was mention Harry and the results he put up. So obviously you don't understand the argument I am making so again, we will have to agree to disagree.

The only way to improve on 2nd is to finish 1st... Poch and the team performed to a level that requires a league or CL win to go one further, that's the long and short of it really
The season we finished 2nd we were 7pts behind Chelsea, it wasn’t close.
No the only way to go better than 2nd isnt 1st. You can win a trophy and be 2nd.

But Poch also finished 3rd in a season that was considered our best chance of a title.
He also finished 5th.
He also finished 4th.
He also lost two finals.

So plenty of seasons to do much better than Redknapp did.
But as I said, he did marginally better, especially when you compare the squads and what both spent.
Maybe you think 2nd is massively different to 4th?
It’s two places with the same reward

Last edited:
I don't know how to get through your head. I have mentioned numerous times why I think Poch deserves more credit for things he did outside results with the transition the club was going through. Levy even talks about the time Poch was here, off the pitch was the hardest and most difficult ever during his time at Spurs because of the stadium move.

All you did was mention Harry and the results he put up. So obviously you don't understand the argument I am making so again, we will have to agree to disagree.

I understand the argument you’re making, it’s basically Poch was a great manager and winning nothing was everyone else’s fault

Nobody is saying Poch is a God but you're doing the same thing Sammyspurs did and are only looking at results with no context. Poch was dealing with a new stadium move, a year without a home, deep European runs, and even a title chase for the league with one of the league's youngest squads.

And look at the points, Poch had a higher point total and better league finishes. Not to mention putting us in a CL final and a title race for the PL.

2008 - 8th with 51pts
2009 - 4th with 70pts
2010 - 5th with 62pts
2011 - 4th with 69pts

2014- 5th 64pts
2015 - 3rd 70pts
2016 - 2nd 86pts
2017 - 3rd 77pts
2018 - 4th 71pts

I think it is downplaying everything Poch did to just look at table finishes and say "He only did a little better than Harry"
Are you saying that if Jose wins the title with 80pts he did worse than when Poch came 2nd with 86pts?

I understand the argument you’re making, it’s basically Poch was a great manager and winning nothing was everyone else’s fault
I've only been on this site a few days but I've already found the first person to stop responding to. It's like I'm talking to a wall. A wall that can't comprehend or understand another person's side of the conversation. Have a good day.

The season we finished 2nd we were 7pts behind Chelsea, it wasn’t close.
Yes the only way to go better than 2nd is 1st.

But Poch also finished 3rd in a season that was considered our best chance of a title.
He also finished 5th.
He also finished 4th.
He also lost two finals.

So plenty of seasons to do much better than Redknapp did.
But as I said, he did marginally better, especially when you compare the squads and what both spent.
Maybe you think 2nd is massively different to 4th?
It’s two places with the same reward

Is 2nd being 7 points behind 1st better or worse than 2nd being 2 points behind 1st? It's the same place with the same reward afterall...

But Poch also finished 3rd in a season that was considered our best chance of a title. In his second season, lets see where Jose gets us this season in a league that is very much winnable
He also finished 5th. In his first season, 1 place ahead of the season previous, improvement
He also finished 4th. Same place same reward as 2nd apparently...
He also lost two finals. Aye can't argue with that - should have done better in the cups. IF Jose does him one better in the CL then great.

We haven't replaced him so we can match his worst seasons, we've done it to surpass his best - League title + CL incoming seeings as not winning either was such a failure in your eyes.

Last edited:
Is 2nd being 7 points behind 1st better or worse than 2nd being 2 points behind 1st? It's the same place with the same reward afterall...

But Poch also finished 3rd in a season that was considered our best chance of a title. In his second season, lets see where Jose gets us this season in a league that is very much winnable
He also finished 5th. In his first season, 1 place ahead of the season previous, improvement
He also finished 4th. Same place same reward as 2nd apparently...
He also lost two finals. Aye can't argue with that - should have done better in the cups. IF Jose does him one better in the CL then great.

We haven't replaced him so we can match his worst seasons, we've done it to surpass his best - League title + CL incoming seeings as not winning either was such a failure in your eyes.
It’s the same position but being two points behind suggest you at least had a shot at it going into the last day.
We were never in a title race the Chelsea season and our only real title challenge ended the year before in February at home to Leicester.

For a manager that’s what they will be judged by.
Yes he achieved top 4 and “some good football”, but I’m not sure he’d be happy with that, or if it will go down on his Wiki page if he retired tomorrow
As should the owners.
After all, they make all the key decisions. Including which manager they appoint to pick the team and employ the tactics.

On that basis, we have the worst owners in the clubs post war history.

You must be at the forefront of the ENIC out movement.

As should the owners
After all, they make all the key decisions. Including which manager they appoint to pick the team and employ the tactics.

On that basis, we have the worst owners in the clubs post war history.

You must be at the forefront of the ENIC out movement.
Who were the owners when Liverpool tore up the 80s?
Or when Woolwich were rampant in the early 2000s?

Oh that’s right, no one gives a fuck

Back
Top Bottom