Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Another way of looking at it is PPG
1.45 for the last 11 games
2.54 for the 11 games preceding that

That's is a complete drop off of form over almost 1/3 of a season

As you say, the next season, it didn't happen. This was when players hit peak fitness levels and could sustain it the whole way.

Whoever employs Poch is going to need to understand it will take 2 or 3 years to get a squad that can play his way.

AND - in order to sustain it, he may need to get rid of older/less fit players whether they're big names or not. The system works because of fitness and effort.

I think Leeds saw that exact same pattern. Took a couple of years to get good enough to come up, then they stayed up with good performances, but then that squad became unable to carry on.

I loved the prime Poch years, anyone who didn't must have real social and mental issues. But I think he achieved all he could with us. He was never going to be able to keep refreshing the squad to keep all the players in peak condition. Levy or not - the fans would have been in uproar if we sold any star names for younger fitted players to carry on the system. And on top of that, we would likely have always been on the cusp as we'd always have younger less experienced players.

I don't dispute the lack of motivation is a problem, but that is a coaches job too.
The fact is, we were in a title race despite what the nay sayers think. And we fell out of that title race because we had a very a-typical Pochettino end of season. It was and is well documented he works them "like dogs" in training and there is enough evidence that it takes its toll by the end of the season.

Had they not ran out of steam they may have caught Leicester, kept their heads and stayed in that race longer. There are patterns emerging. The battle of the bridge is something I've seen twice in PSG Champions League games now. Real Madrid this season and Man City last season. When things weren't going their way they started losing discipline everywhere
Utter bollocks!! We lost ONCE in 15 games for fuck sake, this includes the two games which were draws, that put us mathematically out of the running. Your very specific point was referencing what happened AFTER we drew to Chavs, where we lost our last two games. The players couldn't give two fucks about finishing 2nd (I wish they did because it meant for us supporters that we would have finished above Woolwich, this is important to us because we are small-minded plebs and get upset when we are goaded by the cheating cunts from South London). Had we won all of those games we STILL WOULDN'T have won the league, Leicester didn't drop enough points for that to have happened.

The following year we won 12 out of our last 13 games, scoring 40 goals (13 in our last two games) and conceding just 8 in return!!! There is your evidence. Don't you see the narrative you're running with is total bollocks! They didn't run out of steam!! In 15/16 they ran out of motivation, I honestly don't blame them for that either but wish they got the point they needed from Newcastle to satisfy my petty mindedness as a supporter, something they rectified the following year(s).

Last edited:
Never saw a game he managed for Espanyol but high-pressing teams are notorious for burn-out and need to be constantly refreshed.
Yeah, that Liverpool team was so much refreshed in the last 2-3 years... maybe it’s just one of Poch’s flaws, not being able to handle his team after a period of honey and milk.

Utter bollocks!! We lost ONCE in 15 games for suck sake, this includes the two games which were draws, that put us mathematically out of the running. Your very specific point was referencing what happened AFTER we drew to Chavs, where we lost our last two games. The players couldn't give two fucks about finishing 2nd (I wish they did because it meant for us supporters that we would have finished above Woolwich, this is important to us because we are small-minded plebs and get upset when we are goaded by the cheating cunts from South London). Had we won all of those games we STILL WOULDN'T have won the league, Leicester didn't drop enough points for that to have happened.

The following year we won 12 out of our last 13 games, scoring 40 goals (13 in our last two games) and conceding just 8 in return!!! There is your evidence. Don't you see the narrative you're running with is total bollocks! They didn't run out of steam!! In 15/16 they ran out of motivation, I honestly don't blame them for that either but wish they got the point they needed from Newcastle to satisfy my petty mindedness as a supporter, something they rectified the following year(s).

My point is that Pochettino teams in his first few years tail off in the later stages of the season.
I highlighted it with the fact it really nose dived after the Chelsea game, but it started with the loss to West Ham when we had 11 games to go.

My point is that Pochettino teams in his first few years tail off in the later stages of the season.
I highlighted it with the fact it really nose dived after the Chelsea game, but it started with the loss to West Ham when we had 11 games to go.

The following season we won our last 12 out of 13 matches so you're speaking nonsense.

Another way of looking at it is PPG
1.45 for the last 11 games
2.54 for the 11 games preceding that

That's is a complete drop off of form over almost 1/3 of a season

As you say, the next season, it didn't happen. This was when players hit peak fitness levels and could sustain it the whole way.

Whoever employs Poch is going to need to understand it will take 2 or 3 years to get a squad that can play his way.

AND - in order to sustain it, he may need to get rid of older/less fit players whether they're big names or not. The system works because of fitness and effort.

I think Leeds saw that exact same pattern. Took a couple of years to get good enough to come up, then they stayed up with good performances, but then that squad became unable to carry on.

I loved the prime Poch years, anyone who didn't must have real social and mental issues. But I think he achieved all he could with us. He was never going to be able to keep refreshing the squad to keep all the players in peak condition. Levy or not - the fans would have been in uproar if we sold any star names for younger fitted players to carry on the system. And on top of that, we would likely have always been on the cusp as we'd always have younger less experienced players.
Why are you including the games that they couldn't give a fuck about because the title was already mathematically unattainable? You've already conceded this was a factor. The moment the title became mathematically unattainable there wasn't anything to get motivated about. Right up to this moment the points per game were EXACTLY the same as Leicester over the same period. BOTH team's last 15 games (excluding the last 2 games) took 34 points from a possible 45, that's a PPG of 2.27. Did Leicester also collapse then?

I've proved to you that this is bollocks, they simply don't. Unless you actually believe that losing ONCE (the west ham game was the ONLY loss in 15) in 15 games at the end of the season is tailing off? You can't be fucking serious!

Last edited:
I've proved to you that this is bollocks, they simply don't. Unless you actually believe that losing ONCE in 15 games at the end of the season is tailing off? You can't be fucking serious!

Every season at all of his teams, they take less PPG in the later stages. End of conversation.
Don't pick and chose periods. It's just the later stages,

He did it 2 seasons at the start with Spurs and it came back toward the end as players got older.

*Couldn't

I could care less. A forum where we talk football is considered informal so what I have written is perfectly appropriate. Oh and I don't find Mitchell and his fat wife amusing or clever. I'm bored because we have had this exact same conversation before, and I'll continue to use 'could care less' on this forum.

Couldn't care less" and "could care less" are both used to mean someone doesn't care at all, but English teachers and grammarians will say that only "couldn't care less" is correct, so that is what you should use in formal or academic

I could care less. A forum where we talk football is considered informal so what I have written is perfectly appropriate. Oh and I don't find Mitchell and his fat wife amusing or clever. I'm bored because we have had this exact same conversation before, and I'll continue to use 'could care less' on this forum.

Couldn't care less" and "could care less" are both used to mean someone doesn't care at all, but English teachers and grammarians will say that only "couldn't care less" is correct, so that is what you should use in formal or academic
:contehandshead:
"Could care less" to describe how much you don't care about something makes no sense whatsoever, you feel free to continue using it, but every time you do you'll simply be telling the world the exact opposite of what you actually mean.

Every season at all of his teams, they take less PPG in the later stages. End of conversation.
Don't pick and chose periods. It's just the later stages,

He did it 2 seasons at the start with Spurs and it came back toward the end as players got older.
I'm not picking and choosing. I'm selecting games at the end of seasons, that categorically show that there wasn't any drop-off.

You are including the last two games in 15/16 season when we were mathematically out of the title race, with nothing to play for, something that you have conceded earlier was a factor for not winning those games, yet you choose to select them anyway. We lost ONCE in our last 15 games (excluding the last two).

:contehandshead:
"Could care less" to describe how much you don't care about something makes no sense whatsoever, you feel free to continue using it, but every time you do you'll simply be telling the world the exact opposite of what you actually mean.
Your arguing with Webster about grammer on an Internet forum about football . You don't get it do you?

:pochrolleyes:

How to Contact Merriam-Webster​

We would love to hear from you. Please use the form below to send us your comment or question. Or, you can write or call us.

Merriam-Webster Inc.47 Federal StreetSpringfield, MA 01105
Phone: (413) 734-3134
Fax: (413) 731-5979

I'm not picking and choosing. I'm selecting games at the end of seasons, that categorically show that there wasn't any drop-off.

You are including the last two games in 15/16 season when we were mathematically out of the title race, with nothing to play for, something that you have conceded earlier was a factor for not winning those games, yet you choose to select them anyway. We lost ONCE in our last 15 games (excluding the last two).
I'm including ALL games. You're excluding games to suit your agenda.

Herclueless Herclueless , jokes aside. Do you really get upset at bad grammar on the internet? I find that frankly bizarre. It's supposed to be informal. Which is why 'care less' is fine. Do you think people genuinely do not know and you're helping them ? Or is it an O.C.D thing? The banter and bar room informality is why chat forums work.

Back
Top Bottom