Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Poch years was lightning in a bottle and gave us some fantastic memories, if tinged with disappointment at having won nothing.

I fear his return now will not end well, as I've yet to see evidence that our fundamental issues with scouting, player acquisition and youth development are being addressed.

I would suggest that no matter what happens with Conte over the summer (for one, I don't think he'll leave but you never know), it would be way too early for Poch to return. I think if it does happen (and generally I don't really think 'returns' work well) it needs to be after he's managed at least a couple of other clubs and probably more importantly, not to work under the ENIC/Levy administration. Whilst we weren't privy to everything that went on, it's obvious he was not backed/trusted with what he wanted, and I don't really see how a working relationship can ever get back to its initial successes when such a large chasm existed at the end of the tenure.

The above notwithstanding, I would love to see Poch back but later rather than sooner.

In the days when we were getting 70+ points a season, Liverpool and Manchester City weren't shitting all over everyone else.

Poch doesn't get us anywhere near competing in the Premier League as it is now IMO, I highly suspect he'd struggle to get Top 4.

For me only winning the league or CL can match our final run. Winning the FA Cup would be amazing but wouldn’t match the sheer drama and emotions of the CL run even starting at the group stage.
I respectfully disagree with that - the drama of the 1981 Cup Final Replay was amazing, but the cherry on top of the cake was Stevie going up to lift that trophy. Also the 1991 final was a roller coaster of a game. I'll give it to you that the FA Cup has lost some of its allure to many people, the PL and CL have made that happen, but I would love to win it again.

But a domestic cup can be the corner stone of a good team. Winning a cup is a good way to get over that final roadblock to become a winning team. A taste of what it is like to win that can spur the players on to bigger things.
If only we had won the League Cup against the chavs in Poch's first (or second) season................. who knows where we'd be now!

If only we had won the League Cup against the chavs in Poch's first (or second) season................. who knows where we'd be now!
I said recently that I believe it would have changed everything. I think we would have kept Walker and very likely everyone buys into the project in a more profound way. I Think we end up nabbing Mane ahead of the scourers too. Actual silver ware is a real boost when selling yo players. Genuinely curious how we got Romero...

k97mbntx0bx81.jpg

Poch won the league and is still not nominated for coach of the season.

That's rough. But I guess it reflects how one sided the league is. Winning the league with PSG is perhaps not seen as a big achievement.

Poch at a club that will completely restrict him in what types of players he can buy?

This would either be the best or worst thing to ever happen to him. It is an interesting scenario.

Was he sacked because he gave up?
Yeah, I think he was. He got fed up of asking for players and probably thought - fuck it, what's the point?

I believe that he was a man of principle, and probably told levy - back me or sack me.
We then had 2 years of eyeball grating football

I also believe that Conte will do the same thing, or something similar - if Levy pulls the same stunt on him, or does what he did to 'Arry and give him a transfer window of Kiwi footballers, footballers with no knees etc etc

I'm not going to stop believing in the guy, what he did to our first XI and the respect he built around Europe for the club was a joy to behold, and despite the lack of silverware I loved watching our team play.

Not so much when we lost 7-1 at home to Bayern, but by then he was gone in his heart and soul anyway

Yeah, I think he was. He got fed up of asking for players and probably thought - fuck it, what's the point?

I believe that he was a man of principle, and probably told levy - back me or sack me.
We then had 2 years of eyeball grating football

I also believe that Conte will do the same thing, or something similar - if Levy pulls the same stunt on him, or does what he did to 'Arry and give him a transfer window of Kiwi footballers, footballers with no knees etc etc

I'm not going to stop believing in the guy, what he did to our first XI and the respect he built around Europe for the club was a joy to behold, and despite the lack of silverware I loved watching our team play.

Not so much when we lost 7-1 at home to Bayern, but by then he was gone in his heart and soul anyway
What respect?

Even at Poch's peak we were seen as nothing more than a stepping stone for players to move on to bigger things at best, and a bottling laughing stock at worst.

Poch was great for us. But we don't have respect within the broader world of football. If anything, we are the antagonist. We were the big bad wolf chasing a miraculous Leicester side. And we were the bad guys that prevented a "great" AJax side from reaching their much deserved CL final.

What respect?

Even at Poch's peak we were seen as nothing more than a stepping stone for players to move on to bigger things at best, and a bottling laughing stock at worst.

Poch was great for us. But we don't have respect within the broader world of football. If anything, we are the antagonist. We were the big bad wolf chasing a miraculous Leicester side. And we were the bad guys that prevented a "great" AJax side from reaching their much deserved CL final.
I think you will find that was your perception, rather than that of European football - who saw us playing some swashbuckling football over a few years and taking some impressive scalps in the process.
You enjoy your interpretation. I'm comfortable with mine, thanks.

I think you will find that was your perception, rather than that of European football - who saw us playing some swashbuckling football over a few years and taking some impressive scalps in the process.
You enjoy your interpretation. I'm comfortable with mine, thanks.
I think that my perception is shared by a fair few others.

Poch had us playing brilliant football, and I adore him for his time here. But we were not a much respected footballing outfit under him to the broader European football sphere. We were still just plucky little Tottenham, bottlers supreme.

Poch had us playing brilliant football, and I adore him for his time here. But we were not a much respected footballing outfit under him to the broader European football sphere. We were still just plucky little Tottenham, bottlers supreme.
Regardless of other peoples views Poch’s Spurs managed to choke countless big games. I get that people respect him as a man, so do I, but he’s miles off the elite coaches.

Yes, making the CL final as the 5th-6th biggest club in our country did not earn respect around Europe :pocheyes:

It earned quite a bit of respect… just like athletico and Dortmunds runs.

Regardless of other peoples views Poch’s Spurs managed to choke countless big games. I get that people respect him as a man, so do I, but he’s miles off the elite coaches.
Yeah, being our best coach in decades isn't all that much of an achievement when the competition includes the likes of Tim Sherwood, Gerry Francis, Christian Gross, Juande Ramos and Jaques Santini.

He was very good, which was a massive step forward for us, but short of elite level imo.

Back
Top Bottom