Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll try and clarify my position for you then. As we're in the wrong thread, ill be brief.
I think ENIC are in it for their own long term profit. There is a clue in their name and what they are. Thats why, IMO, they under invest in the team, but readily invest in the infrastructure such as the stadium and corporate facilities etc..I dislike and don't trust the NFL connection, and im concerned that should a franchise be granted in London, its ENICs aim to place it in Tottenham, relegating THFC to secondary tennants of the stadium.
In the meantime it's their intention to keep us competitive, but actually winning silverware is of little relevence or importance.
I also think the clubs inability to sign a single player to improve our team in the summer is fucking scandelous, especially following on from the clubs announcement to charge the highest football season ticket prices the world has ever seen, and my tongue-in-cheek references to Joe's yacht is a simple reminder that we have a supra-billionaire owner, happy to invest in his own personal luxury, but unwilling , like other rich owners, to invest a single pound of his tax free wealth in to the football team I love and support. Had he and ENIC done so, I'm conviced we would not have gone through the most barren 2 decades in the clubs history.
This is my view. I know many disagree, but a sizeable minority are also disillusioned with the lack of investment in the squad and worried about the Owners long term intentions. I am not the only one.
I would not have enthusiastically, wholeheartedly, supported moving the club to Stratford, as you seem to be inferring . It wouldn't have been a preferred option. But it was not going be the athletics stadium it is now. It would have been a football stadium for Tottenham Hotspur and I would still have supported my team had we moved there.
I said at the time, and I was in a minority, that keeping Spurs in Tottenham was not as important to me as getting a new stadium a club as big as us deserved. Especially as the vast majority of our fans, even match going fans, don't live there.
Much like Aston Villa would not limit themselves to the Aston area of Birmingham, or Everton are moving from the Everton district of Merseyside, unlike most, I did not see the necessity of Spurs remaining in the Tottenham area of North London. I know most on here slaughtered me for it, but I wanted to to see us get the stadium we deserved before falling too far behind our competitors, and at the time it looked like Tottenham (the area) was never going to happen.
These are my views, not popular I know, at least on here they're not, but there you have it.
Fair play. Personally I would rather we were playing in the conference and stayed somewhere in North London. But the club means different things to different people, and therefore we don't all have the same priorities. What unites us is that we all have the same passion for THFC, and that's what matters.

I see he got the chance to do his Alec Stewart impression on Sky Sports News...
Dm-9VyYXoAEJSMF.jpg:large

So tactically naive today. Very disappointed.

Some real 'friendly' fixtures coming up and some important players coming into full fitness with Winks, Wanyama and Lamela all getting minutes under their belt today.

He really needs to nail down a formation though. It's great that we have plenty of options in terms of the tactics we can play but changing it throughout the game doesn't help as much as he must think.

It's always been a bit clear that we don't like it when a team presses us and we don't have anyway round it - the only way we've ever really got round it in the past is scoring early to force the opposing team to change the way they play.

We just sort of knock it long now because we can't beat their press and hope for either a defensive mistake from the opponents or a moment of magic from someone like Lucas or Son who the long ball would likely be aimed for down the channels.

That we need to freshen up the squad is pretty obvious. We need a few new names in to compete for spots and we might possibly need to sell a few players who are not fully committed.

But Pochettino also needs to grow and adapt in his tactics. The other clubs have adapted to us now so our old tactic is not going to be as effective now. To do the same thing again and again and expecting different results is madness. It won't matter how many new players we buy if we keep playing the same way and allowing our opponents to lock us out.

Adapt or perish.

Time to be brave Poch.

Needs to show people that they aren't indispensable.

Absolutely no reason why Dier, Eriksen or even Kane should start our next league game now that we have a full team fit besides Dele Alli (Who is likely to be back anyway).

Time to be brave Poch.

Needs to show people that they aren't indispensable.

Absolutely no reason why Dier, Eriksen or even Kane should start our next league game now that we have a full team fit besides Dele Alli (Who is likely to be back anyway).

I miss Sanchez =(

It's always been a bit clear that we don't like it when a team presses us and we don't have anyway round it - the only way we've ever really got round it in the past is scoring early to force the opposing team to change the way they play.

We just sort of knock it long now because we can't beat their press and hope for either a defensive mistake from the opponents or a moment of magic from someone like Lucas or Son who the long ball would likely be aimed for down the channels.

We’re vulnerable to being pressed because we just don’t have the midfielders. I can’t blame Poch too much because we don’t have a normal midfield.

We have Dembele who has health issues.

We have Winks who has health issues.

We have Wanyama who has health issues.

Then we have Dier who isn’t really the ball retaining type.

We really had to cover the CM position in the last transfer window, it’s a real problem area.

So if we are going to play like that against pressing teams, why don’t we start Llorente, he can win everything in the air, & Son & Lucas can feed off him?
(C) Sam Allardyce.

So if we are going to play like that against pressing teams, why don’t we start Llorente, he can win everything in the air, & Son & Lucas can feed off him?
(C) Sam Allardyce.

I'm not sure if Llorente is any better in the air than Kane to be honest.

I'm not sure if Llorente is any better in the air than Kane to be honest.
On present form, Kane is struggling to get off the ground.
I was only joking about hoofball tactics.
Against teams that press us, our possession game isn’t working though. There was no incision or guile today. And that was disappointing. Dier was a catastrophe today. It wasn’t pleasant to watch but every time he had the ball, it all felt very unsafe, which is the last thing you want if you are keeping possession in the middle third

Poch but also some players never showed up
It truly was a collective failure that's for certain.

Poch has complained about an attitude problem since the United game. Hopefully there isn't a rift between him and the players, because if there is someone will have to give eventually.

It truly was a collective failure that's for certain.

Poch has complained about an attitude problem since the United game. Hopefully there isn't a rift between him and the players, because if there is someone will have to give eventually.

Yep, the players.

I feel that it will be fine but this is a big test for Pochettino.

And mostly because he has to do what Mourinho and Guardiola would do and that is drop players who either need rest or who have lost form and confidence.

At present there is no problem. From my perspective I saw today's result coming, if not tje paucity of the performance.

Pochettino will sort it. He has to but with his new contract he will also have time to do it.

Certainly a short term injury to Kane at preaent would not be a huge problem.

Last edited:
In the past 3 seasons plus our 5 games this we’ve played 119 league games under the current manager we’ve lost just 19! We haven’t a lot to complain about really.

Back
Top Bottom