Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

dont get me wrong, pass completion is a good measure but its not the only consideration..
i thought capoue was playing the ball more vertical and direct and as a result wasnt always making the pass, i think this is something in poch's system we will see more of, vertical passing game with the defensive press to get the ball back and avoid the counter..much rather this style than possession with no penetration as we saw under AVB.

Oh yeah, granted it's only been two preseason games but we have been much more direct and as the article you posted above shows that is clearly a deliberate alteration. Capoue is where it is most noticeable because under AVB our deep lying midfielders were incredible cautious with their passing.

Really looking to see what Pochettino can do with Ceballos, Veljkovic, Mason and Townsend. From USA games each of these look to have real potential. Veljkovic looks a bit short fro CB but on the ball he looks good and assured, unlike Dawson he does not need to point to his passing foot prior passing.

Another who seems to be thriving in the US is Holtby. Personally I would like to hold him until the Jan transfers.

This Poch could turn out to be a real good signing. :pochsmirk:

Really looking to see what Pochettino can do with Ceballos, Veljkovic, Mason and Townsend. From USA games each of these look to have real potential. Veljkovic looks a bit short fro CB but on the ball he looks good and assured, unlike Dawson he does not need to point to his passing foot prior passing.

Another who seems to be thriving in the US is Holtby. Personally I would like to hold him until the Jan transfers.

This Poch could turn out to be a real good signing. :pochsmirk:

tbh ceballos and mason i see no 1st team future for, i mean i might be wrong but i doubt it..
Veljkovic has been a rising star in the academy for awhile and looks to be a real talent..townsend is anyones gues, though i feel if he starts making better decisions and playing smarter rather than harder he could have a real future too..

Just a thought, but I don't think that any of them have impressed in all games thus far.

usually i agree with you, but if u feel capoue and townsend didnt play well in toronto and veljkovic who hasnt made a mistake all pre-season, havent impressed you, you and me have been watching two different pre-seasons

Yeah I think Veljokvic has looked very solid and assured at the back. Impressive considering he is only 18. I don't see much to Ceballos or Mason. Townsend's a tough one. Boy has ability, his goal against Toronto was excellent. He's just so inconsistent currently. Hopefully that's just a function of being young and inexperienced. It feels like he's been around forever but he still doesn't really have a full Prem season under his belt.

There is a lot of belief and optimism among us regarding Poch. I,m definitely one. Always was even before the appointment. But if I,m right, prior to Poch's appointment, De Boer was the man. If you could. Would you still opt for De boer? Just interested to know how much Poch has won over the De Boer crowd at this stage.

I've 180ed. There's a lot of things behind why as well. My initial fear was that he wasn't high profile enough, I didn't watch any Southampton games beyond being turned over by us so I wasn't sold on his style either and I feared a backlash from players being too lazy to knuckle down in his notoriously tough training.

All this time on it's clear the players we've seen so far all like him, it's clear from the contract extension that Lloris likes him too. His willingness to do conferences in English (although as we've seen with the Fire match he has one sitting in the wings) is commendable and allays the Ramos type concerns.

In terms of style the flashes of link up (especially when Lamela is on the pitch) has already sold me enough to believe that he'll get the best out of our players whether he buys any more or not. Oh and having watched the echoes left in the Chile side's play style by his mentor and seeing how they put the fear of God into everyone they played I'm happy and believe Pochettino can and will get more out of our squad quicker than de Boer would have.

*NB: If Pochettino is sacked within 18 months and FdB is his replacement then I was hacked by a drunk Argentinian, Portsmouth fan that was taking the piss when typing this out.

Hmmmm, still not convinced about Capoue.

Great start, but haven't seen much since. Really didn't notice his supposed excellent performance against Toronto, if that even counts.
He didn't play a worldie but he did quite a few things that showed quality, for example-

pause @ 0min 49 secs, most players in Capoue's position would either pass back to the goalie/defence or not call for the ball as he knows someone is behind him. Instead he plays a nice first time pass forward which he disguises extremely well by not altering his body shape but turning his foot. Something you see more often from technical players than donkeys.

Again at 2min 12secs, plays the ball along the ground with good power and accuracy to find a player in a pretty tight space. He did this quite a few times.

pre-season performances mean very little though

it's all about getting fit and not getting injured

we've had plenty of players look shit hot in the friendlies and then crumble when the season started

He didn't play a worldie but he did quite a few things that showed quality, for example-

pause @ 0min 49 secs, most players in Capoue's position would either pass back to the goalie/defence or not call for the ball as he knows someone is behind him. Instead he plays a nice first time pass forward which he disguises extremely well by not altering his body shape but turning his foot. Something you see more often from technical players than donkeys.

Again at 2min 12secs, plays the ball along the ground with good power and accuracy to find a player in a pretty tight space. He did this quite a few times.

I know it's just a friendly, but I'm a little surprised no one really mentioned the pass Mason made to start up the first Lamela goal. The highlights kind of cut it off, but at 1:08, Mason threads a beautiful ball to Eriksen that starts the whole attack. Really well done by him.

I know it's just a friendly, but I'm a little surprised no one really mentioned the pass Mason made to start up the first Lamela goal. The highlights kind of cut it off, but at 1:08, Mason threads a beautiful ball to Eriksen that starts the whole attack. Really well done by him.
Yeh I caught it bro, really good one touch pass. Better clip of it here @1min for anyone interested http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/tour2014/spurs-tv/highlights/

Mason looked very tidy.

So last night I was really trying to pay attention to the system of play.
The attacking shape is slightly harder to measure as players seemed to interchange a lot and there are so many variables in scenario it's hard to spot a solid pattern. Full backs obviously play far up. Wide midfielder coming in to overload in the centre.
But the defensive shape was far more obvious and to be frank it scared the shot out of me because they clearly aren't quite ready yet and it's only a few weeks till the season starts. Getting the ball out from the back really seems to rely on the guy playing in capoue's role and if he loses the ball suddenly you have a clear run on our defence with the CBs pushes wide and the full backs already near the half way line. There were a couple of moments where Dawson and Velcro had to pass it between themselves for almost a minute because we were being pressured in our third. I think world class premier league players could exploit this way more than Chicago did but even they had some joy.

On the bright side. Our pressing in their half was magnificent and Holtby was key to this

Hmmmm, still not convinced about Capoue.

Great start, but haven't seen much since. Really didn't notice his supposed excellent performance against Toronto, if that even counts.

Another player who has done nothing, but became known as a mythical legend and missing link in order to slate TS.......I remember the words "young Yaya"....

Jesus Christ

Another player who has done nothing, but became known as a mythical legend and missing link in order to slate TS.......I remember the words "young Yaya"....

Jesus Christ

You can either have this attitude or you can note that Capoue's direct passing vs Toronto was impressive and something Poche will like to have in his side.

May have been a preseason friendly, but analyzing pieces of individual players' games does have some value.

I don't think Capoue is amazing exactly but if the rumours are true and Sandro is off, then who else would you play as a DM? Please not Bentaleb, Paulinho, or Dembele

Back
Top Bottom