Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, being respectful to an inferior keeper is more important than playing your strongest line up in an FA cup semi final.
What a shame Man Utd didn't feel that way and instead played De Gea.
Pochettino himself played down the relevence of the FA cup in his pre match interview....
In fact, there was a lot of talk afterwards that his downplaying of the match had a negative impact on the whole team

And you all say he takes the cups seriously?
Ffs John there is a difference between “taking it seriously” and priorities. The FA Cup and League Cup will never be the club’s priorities. That isn’t just down to the manager, that’s from the top down at the club. ALL the top 4-6 teams will feel the same about it, the cups are a secondary consideration to the league and CL. A team like Crystal Palace might prioritise the FA Cup, IF they aren’t in a relegation battle, because they don’t have much else to aim for. Now that’s not to say that we don’t take it seriously if we progress in the tournament. OF COURSE the manager, and the players, and the chairman want to win if they get to the semi final. You could see how disappointed the players AND manager where after losing that game, they were all taking it very seriously. But it will still be a secondary consideration to ensuring a top 4 league position, which is why Poch has had to play it down previously. Clubs like City are fortunate to have players like Sane, Bernardo and Mahrez as fucking back-ups, and so can rotate heavily in the cup competitions and still look like they are playing a seriously strong side. We are not that fortunate. I would LOVE us to win the FA Cup, so so much, but I would not want it to be our priority over building on our regular top 4 finishes. I don’t want to be Wigan and smash and grab the occasional cup, I want us to cement our position at the big boys table, grow an amazing squad, and then be contenders for ALL the titles. I believe this is probably what Poch is instructed to aim for.

Also, and I’ll say this again, we had our World Cup winning keeper in the team when we lost 4-2 to Chelsea the year before. A game that we played better in and utterly deserved to win. So who would you scapegoat for that loss? Sometimes results just don’t go your way. Personally I still hold Dembele more culpable for last season’s semi final defeat, for his error that led to their equaliser. But it was just bad luck and a slightly poor team performance that cost us that game, not Vorm being in goal.

TLDR - let’s just agree to disagree.

Beating these teams was a novelty, it wasn't common, our record against them over the past ten years (ALL OF THEM) is shockingly poor. The only team we actually have a good record against, despite a common 3 point lane jibe, is at home against the Chavs. Our away record is an absolute embarrassment as it is at Utd, and against Woolwich and Anfield too. Our record against these sides can only be described as terrible. Thankfully the oil tanker is turning. The thing is though and this is the really important thing, that until Poch, they still finished above us, always..

No it wasn’t a novelty - again we won away at Liverpool, Woolwich, City, in comparison we have won away at City, Chelsea and United under Poch ( 2 of which have come in the last 6 months). He also won 2 home games against Woolwich, 2 against Chelsea and 2 against Liverpool. So why on earth are you trying to claim that it is only now that we are beginning to beat such sides ? And again we finished 4th twice in his 4 year tenure - we finished above City, Liverpool and Chelsea during that time as well. Genuinely bizarre claim to make .

And yes, patience is required because it is only now that we are performing at or above their level, until the last three years we have never been equals let alone better than them (we have finished above every single one of them in the last 3 years). BUT it has only been in the last three years. If you take a closer look at who we lost against in our semi-finals and finals under Poch it goes like this....League Cup vs Chelsea, lost to the League Champions; FA Cup Semi-Final vs Chelsea, lost to League Champions; FA Cup Semi-Final vs Man U lost to League runners-up..

Above who exactly? It’s varied cover the course of those years and you don’t need to be equals to beat sides in a cup tournament - it doesn’t work that way in that format. Woolwich haven’t competed for the league in years but yet beat both City and Chelsea in the semi final and final.They did this despite being below those teams in the league. United have been woeful in recent years but have managed to win an FA cup and league cup. How do you account for this then? Oh and what’s you excuse for our continued failure in the UEFA cup? Are the elite clubs to blame for this as well?

Would be nice to get perhaps a bit of luck with who we draw, it would still be hard if we drew a side like Woolwich when we know we have the better side, but we've lost to the better side in the league everytime. Some of our rivals have enjoyed playing Aston Villa, Hull, Stoke, Crystal Palace & Wigan as they lifted their trophey.

Bit of luck with the draw - are you on a wind up? We didn’t play a single PL side in either campaign prior to the Semi final. The first decent side we played we got knocked out. We had a massive opportunity in 2016 but blew this by losing at home to an Alan Pardew managed Palace who hadn’t won a game in months.

You are a living and breathing oxymoron. You call me deluded about calling us a possible title challenger, I would even allow you that one if you did one thing and don't mention any of the other clubs other than City as challengers, but you don't, you include the others in the conversation, all the other big 6 clubs, despite us finishing 3rd, 2nd and 3rd!!! Incredable!! But here is the oxymoron, you call me delusional but then go on and on trying to actually prove that we aren't good enough team to be considered as a rival to challenge for the league, but in the same breath you are saying we are good enough to win a cup and should have won a cup and how much of a scandal it has been when we haven't won a cup, whilst having been beaten by the league champions twice and runners-up in our recent quest to do so!!!!!! YOU CAN"T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. Go and argue with yourself in the mirror.

I am saying we are good enough to the be called title challengers, I also said this makes us good enough for winning a cup too.

I havent actually said were not good enough to challenge for the league I actually said we haven’t done this so far. Finishing 12 points behind Leicester, 7 behind Chelsea and 23 behind City backs that up. We have the players to compete absolutely just not the coach. That’s the whole point here - he can’t deliver on the talent that he has available to him.

Last edited:
I think the revisionist mindset is with yourself Ossie Wembley . Yes a big improvement since the mid 2000's under Marin Jol but we weren't pushing top 4 we were challenging for Europa League and not considered part of the top end of clubs. We started challenging from 2009/10 but not with the level on consistency we have seen the last few seasons.

We finished 5th 1 point behind Woolwich in 2005 - that was the first time we challenged for a top 4 finish so no it is not revisionist mindset to say this is where it started. And that is the primary goal of the club

So, being respectful to an inferior keeper is more important than playing your strongest line up in an FA cup semi final.
What a shame Man Utd didn't feel that way and instead played De Gea.
Pochettino himself played down the relevence of the FA cup in his pre match interview....
In fact, there was a lot of talk afterwards that his downplaying of the match had a negative impact on the whole team

And you all say he takes the cups seriously?

I thought it was a poor decision to play Vorm in that game. We’re hardly in a position to play weakened teams to be nice. It was an FA Cup semi-final and he didn’t play the best team available. If we had trophies coming out of our ears I could understand it, but we’re currently experiencing our worst trophy run in several decades.

Vorm’s job is to play if Lloris is injured. If he’s not happy with that, replace him with someone who is.

I thought it was a poor decision to play Vorm in that game. We’re hardly in a position to play weakened teams to be nice. It was an FA Cup semi-final and he didn’t play the best team available. If we had trophies coming out of our ears I could understand it, but we’re currently experiencing our worst trophy run in several decades.

Vorm’s job is to play if Lloris is injured. If he’s not happy with that, replace him with someone who is.

3 sentences which destroys any defence of that selection. How anyone can excuse it is beyond me.

Vorm was our FA Cup goalkeeper. It isn't the case of dropping Lloris, it's the fact that Pochettino is probably just being respectful to a goalkeeper who helped get us to the semi final.

He would have played the year before against Chelsea if he hadn't got injured. Turns out we didn't need him as Lloris conceded 4 instead.

City done the same with Bravo last year. They didn't bring Ederson back in for their cup final, they kept with Bravo because he helped get them there.
Bravo is a beter keeper than Vorm imo

3 sentences which destroys any defence of that selection. How anyone can excuse it is beyond me.

In fairness, if you want someone to gormlessly watch a ball sail past them and hit the back of the net, Vorm’s your man.

Pochettino is just odd. He has his untouchables, but will purposefully tie his hands behind his back to please squad players. I love the guy, but he does make things harder for himself sometimes.

No it wasn’t a novelty - again we won away at Liverpool, Woolwich, City, in comparison we have won away at City, Chelsea and United under Poch ( 2 of which have come in the last 6 months). He also won 2 home games against Woolwich, 2 against Chelsea and 2 against Liverpool. So why on earth are you trying to claim that it is only now that we are beginning to beat such sides ? And again we finished 4th twice in his 4 year tenure - we finished above City, Liverpool and Chelsea during that time as well. Genuinely bizarre claim to make .

Above who exactly? It’s varied cover the course of those years and you don’t need to be equals to beat sides in a cup tournament - it doesn’t work that way in that format. Woolwich haven’t competed for the league in years but yet beat both City and Chelsea in the semi final and final.They did this despite being below those teams in the league. United have been woeful in recent years but have managed to win an FA cup and league cup. How do you account for this then? Oh and what’s you excuse for our continued failure in the UEFA cup? Are the elite clubs to blame for this as well?

Bit of luck with the draw - are you on a wind up? We didn’t play a single PL side in either campaign prior to the Semi final. The first decent side we played we got knocked out. We had a massive opportunity in 2016 but blew this by losing at home to an Alan Pardew managed Palace who hadn’t won a game in months.

I havent actually said were not good enough to challenge for the league I actually said we haven’t done this so far. Finishing 12 points behind Leicester, 7 behind Chelsea and 23 behind City backs that up. We have the players to compete absolutely just not the coach. That’s the whole point here - he can’t deliver on the talent that he has available to him.
Our head to head record against the so-called big 6 is very, very poor. It's black and white, irrefutable and factual. There is no point claiming anything other than this. Under our recent steady improvement as a team we have picked up some results. During this time, before Poch, we have always been the underdogs going into those games. Since Poch we have begun to be considered as favourites in a few of these games. I do not recall a single game against a top 6 club that we have faced before Poch were we were considered favourites, if we were please state the game(s), genuinely interested to know. (Probably City, before the real billions, came in, City +10yrs ago is not the City today, so does that really count to include them were that to be the case?).

I say also that since Poch our record against the top 6 is very good, he's the only manager that we've had that has given us consistently good results against them. Under him, he's broken the Stamford Bridge curse, we now outplay Woolwich, rather than hang on and scrap for something. This is the very cornerstone of my argument I have with you. You are consistently saying Poch is shit and has us underachieving, I'm totally refuting that claim. So many thanks for highlighting Poch's wins over the big six!!

Love the way how you brushed aside that all these clubs collected a trophy against Stoke, Wigan, Hull, Palace and Villa. Whilst equally dismissing the fact that we lost to the best team in the country twice and the runners-up in the other.

So what we lost to Palace? City lost to Wigan? Neither of these games were semi-finals or finals. We will lose another quali round to another side ranked below us at some point in the near future, we will not get to a semi or a final in every single cup competition every single year, it simply doesn't work like that. We will be more consistent in making more appearances in them though and this is already evident in Poch taking us to x2 semi's and a final in 4yrs.

As for Europa League, we haven't competed, we've binned it off. It's also interesting to think what we would have done had the CL spot given to the winner would have done to our attitude towards the competition, we will never know because in all the years we competed in it, that incentive was never available to us.

This whole thing has you in knots. Left half of your brain thinks we are miles and miles away from the top 6 clubs right half thinks we are brilliant and should be winning trophies which includes beating the same teams that you think are better than us. Time to make your mind up.

He's magic! Leave poch alone or go support another club. Seriously the vultures really like to start circling after a few losses. We are unbelievably lucky to have Poch at our club, get behind him or will some of you start to bring out the banners soon? People have only started supporting us in the last few years and don't realise how far we have come. The guy is working on relatively 0 budget and has made us title challengers on a couple of occasions. We are consistently playing in the champions League and are brushing shoulders with the likes of Madrid and Barcelona. Not that long ago we could only dream of playing in Europe let alone competing like we do. So much negativity around the club at the moment and it's mostly our own fans. Embarrassing.

He's magic! Leave poch alone or go support another club. Seriously the vultures really like to start circling after a few losses. We are unbelievably lucky to have Poch at our club, get behind him or will some of you start to bring out the banners soon? People have only started supporting us in the last few years and don't realise how far we have come. The guy is working on relatively 0 budget and has made us title challengers on a couple of occasions. We are consistently playing in the champions League and are brushing shoulders with the likes of Madrid and Barcelona. Not that long ago we could only dream of playing in Europe let alone competing like we do. So much negativity around the club at the moment and it's mostly our own fans. Embarrassing.
THIS.

Damn I'm only 31 and I remember well the days when we were struggling to make even top 7, let alone top 4 or top 3 like we've been doing the last three seasons.

Should maybe we have done better? Sure, but you also have to remember that we have a lower net spend than every other top 6 club, I'd like to see how the likes of Guardiola (who I personally think is the most overrated manager in recent years, despite what he's won) or Mourinho would have done with Poch's budget.

That added to the point that Poch is the only one of the lot who is even ATTEMPTING to bring through homegrown younger players. I might have to be corrected, but I can't think of a single player any of the other top 6 managers have promoted to the first team from their youth squads (can you imagine Mourinho bringing up Harry Kane?), English or otherwise.

Last edited:
I haven't questioned your opinion on this topic once, go check our interactions before you mouth off. I have with John.

"Why is it so hard for you to accept"? What kind of stupid question is that? I disagree with the opinion that Vorm was the reason why we lost the Utd FA Cup Semi-Final. It's that simple. What are you expecting me to say?
I'm expecting you to accept others might challenge this view on the forum (shocker) so not sure why you always become defensive and aggressive when they do.

Well said sir.

I'm expecting you to accept others might challenge this view on the forum (shocker) so not sure why you always become defensive and aggressive when they do.
I've absolutely no problem with people holding a different opinion to mine. I enjoy the debate. I am defending my opinion, just as they are with theirs. Why is that so hard for you to get your head around?

A bombshell for the few remaining ostriches on here who cling to the belief that Poch and Levy are on the same page with regards to transfer strategy.

After a summer in which they were the only club in Europe's top 5 leagues not to sign a player it adds up to a frustrating situation for the Argentine......... Any other manager would have left!

The guy must feel like he's had his pants pulled down and his backside slapped by Levy. You've got to admire his integrity.

A bombshell for the few remaining ostriches on here who cling to the belief that Poch and Levy are on the same page with regards to transfer strategy.

After a summer in which they were the only club in Europe's top 5 leagues not to sign a player it adds up to a frustrating situation for the Argentine......... Any other manager would have left!

The guy must feel like he's had his pants pulled down and his backside slapped by Levy. You've got to admire his integrity.
It’s not really a bombshell, it’s just that guy’s opinion.

Back
Top Bottom