Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like how he the the piss out of young Will Miller. "hey I'm an actor, like Will Miller'
You can just imagine before the game against Juventus.

Pochettino stares at attacking midfielder Will Miller and says to him "You. You're the actor? Well act like a left back today"

:pochlol:

Pochettino stares at attacking midfielder Will Miller and says to him "You. You're the actor? Well act like a left back today"

What would be the bollocks is a spurs TV vid of a gruelling Pochettino training session and afterwards Miller going up to Mauricio and saying.... 'please sir can I have some more"

Looks like he is strangling him to me. Whatever gets results.
I've seen Poch do that to players a lot, it's a really dominate hold, I am sure it is deliberate, it's giving the message that Poch is in command but also builds trust. Think about who you would allow to hold you like that on the neck. I think its good that Edwards is training with the first team, I just hope fans dont expect too much too soon, he's just a kid still. Rooney came on the scene age 16, but he was built well for his age, Edwards is still way too small and it will take time for his body to develop.

I've seen Poch do that to players a lot, it's a really dominate hold, I am sure it is deliberate, it's giving the message that Poch is in command but also builds trust. Think about who you would allow to hold you like that on the neck. I think its good that Edwards is training with the first team, I just hope fans dont expect too much too soon, he's just a kid still. Rooney came on the scene age 16, but he was built well for his age, Edwards is still way too small and it will take time for his body to develop.
It is affectionate but telling the kid he is in charge so don't fuck about or your out. I am sure Poch does not do that with his kids or god forbid his wife.

It is straight out of the Bielsa handbook "Fat legs and Choke Holds Vol 1,"

Tottenham_send_their_regards.jpg

I think that is the best part of the video. Poch is absolutely cracking himself up saying he is going to be an actor like Will Miller. :pocheyes:

From the excellent Dan Kilpatrick

Pochettino ready to move on from Tottenham's end-of-season woe

Pochettino ready to move on from Tottenham's end-of-season woe

MELBOURNE, Australia -- Two-and-a-half months on, Mauricio Pochettino still finds it difficult to explain the end to Tottenham's season. A 1-1 draw at West Brom left Leicester City one win away from the title, before Spurs' blew a two-goal lead to Chelsea, gifting the Foxes an unlikely Premier League crown.

Pochettino's side lost their final two matches, 2-1 at home to Southampton and 5-1 at Newcastle on the final day of the season to slip behind Woolwich into third -- a club-record high Premier League finish but behind the Gunners for the 19th consecutive campaign.

"It came at the end of a very stressful and emotional season," says Pochettino. "It was the first time our players had ever experienced this type of situation and it was very difficult. When you lose your objective, like we did when we lost the chance to win the league at Chelsea, it was tough for them to manage the situation."

Nodding to his ever-present assistant Jesus Perez, Pochettino adds: "For us too, it was a big thing for us. It was my worst day as a manager. The feeling after Newcastle was horrible. It put me in a bad mood for the whole summer. It killed my holidays. Seriously. I went to Barcelona and the Bahamas with my family, but all the time I was in a bad mood and I took it there -- in seven days in the Bahamas, six days were rain and storms!

"There was no time to assimilate the defeat at Newcastle because the season finished at the end of the game and I did not have the chance to share my feelings with my players the day after -- and kill them! Normally when you lose and you're upset with the players, you have the opportunity to tell them how you feel on Monday morning, and have a big discussion, a big fight. But it was not possible because many of my players went straight off to the Euros. I had to keep inside my bad feeling for the whole of the summer. Even when I was texting my players in France to wish them well, I had to hide my real feelings about the Newcastle game."

Pochettino's anger has abated and he is relaxed, though tired after waking at 4:30 a.m. due to jet lag, on Spurs' final day in Australia. The 44-year-old hopes his squad, which was the youngest in the Premier League last season, learns from their collapse, particularly the 2-2 draw at Chelsea.
i

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino discusses his team's performance in the International Champions Cup and their future.

Spurs led 2-0 at half-time as they went in search of a first win at Stamford Bridge since 1991 but lost their cool, ending with nine players booked and a six-match, retrospective ban for Mousa Dembele.

"I feel very proud. To change history, sometimes you need games like that to happen," says Pochettino. "Maybe it wasn't a good example but to change history, sometimes we need to fight. Maybe we crossed the line a little bit. But for us, it was good; a lot of players showed big character and personality. It was a game to learn a lot. We heard a lot about Tottenham and it's always that we're an easy team to play, who never show enough passion or aggression. For me, it means we've started to change our mentality.

"To be a winning club, you always need to play on the limit. In football, to compete, to be a winner, you need to play on the limit. Always. For us, it was a good game to know where the limit is. If we are clever, we need to use that to improve. Next season is very good opportunity to show that we are clever and we can learn about that. In my experience, you move on if you're clever."

Pochettino's summer cannot have been improved by the international football he saw. His homeland Argentina were beaten in the final by Chile on penalties for the second consecutive year in the Copa America final -- "It was hard," is about all he says about it -- and five Tottenham players were part of England's Euro 2016 humiliation.

One of them, Kane, has been unfairly scapegoated, claims Pochettino: "For me, Harry Kane was in the same lineup as the other players. Some good, some bad. It's not just his responsibility. In football you need to share responsibility. For me it is the manager first, the coaching staff and the players."

The England and Argentina managers -- Roy Hodgson and Tata Martino -- both resigned following the tournaments and Pochettino could be considered a good fit for either job. After all, no club manager has done more for the English national team in the last three years: 11 of the last 19 England debutants have been coached by him.

Meanwhile, Pochettino again sought to distance himself from links to Argentina role.

"Argentina is my country. My family is there. But I don't feel now is my moment to manage Argentina. I'm very young and I have a lot of challenges ahead in Europe, with Tottenham.

"Your success is not to know about football or tactics but to adapt your philosophy to a different country and different culture. To be good, you first need to know the culture and the habits of the players and to know the media and the supporters; to know everything. That's the most important thing.

"Nobody can plan the future," Pochettino continues. "I think this translates in football and life. Football takes you where football wants, not where you want to go. For me this was a good principle: 'Don't worry about the future.' You need to be ready for today. Football will take you where you deserve."

So far, football has taken Pochettino a long way but he recognises the need to go further. The upcoming season might be even harder but Pochettino is positive.

"Our challenge is to be a consistent team in Champions League and to try to fight for top four and we see what happens," he says. "Our idea is to win every game. And, is it possible to win the Premier League, why not? We need to try again, no?"

Dan is ESPN FC's Tottenham correspondent.

Just to hear this is music to my ears! You can debate all you like about wether we will or will not win the League, wether we are strong enough, wether the likes of Manure, Citeh, Chavs, Scum or even Dippers & Dongs are better placed because of X, Y and Z. But there can't be a single fan amongst us that doesn't think we have a shout! Not in my lifetime have I felt that we have a good a chance as the others, just feeling that is pretty amazing.

I've said it before, but think for a second what the players are now thinking about, they are not thinking about hoping to finish in top 4, they are starting the season with the mindset of wanting to win the league.
QONVIyz.gif

Seeing that tweet from Poch = hairs standing up on back of neck.

No need for this, not your post, but the tweet.

I love the guy, he seems quite private though.
Agree. But maybe a sense of media control, hear it first via Spurs rather than the Sun's interpretation???? Then Spurs pressured to react by the noisy twitter Spurs fans, who always rage against Spurs. Place went into meltdown when papers ran repeated stories on Greaves being poorly treated but failed to mention or acknowledge the continued support of Tribute Trust.

I'd be very surprised that any communication would have be made without Poch knowing/agreeing.

Back
Top Bottom